Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bagni di Lucca, Tuscany What's The Area Like?

Sep 5th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Buzzy

I have been looking at a very reasonably priced property near this town for next August. Can anyone tell me what the area is like. Any particular tourist attractions and must see places?

Would you recomend it?

Thanks

Buzzy

Sep 5th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Nice area that is somewhat isolated from the mainstream Tuscany. It is just north of Lucca at the start of the Garfagnana area---known for hunting and fishing. Great retreat if you want that but a long way from the primary Tuscan highlights. The pricing reflects demand.
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I have never been to Bagni di Lucca, but I have been to Lucca, which is very special, but it was quite humid. If you can support the heavy summer humidity, it may be fine.
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Ditto what sfcali said. I've been to Lucca in the summer and it's quite humid - and not much air conditioning to be had...but completely beautiful. If Bagni di Lucca is anything like the rest of the Lucca area, you can't go wrong. Mountains, green, lush gardens, walled villages, very friendly and not overly touristy.

One recommendation on restaurants - look for the places with beaded curtains in the entry way. We call them tourist repellant because they often look like little dives, but the food is the best and next to no tourists! It's where the locals hang out, so you know it's going to be good.
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Bagni is in a lovely green, hilly area but is itself a pretty small village. If you go, the main charm is probably the lovely old arched bridge over the river. It's the kind of place you would go to relax and to escape any fast-paced tourist attractions, but it really isn't too far from all the classic tourist spots. Good luck.