Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scala Reale tours - how many in three days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM
jmp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in Rome Oct 11 - 14 (then off to Positano). I was looking at the Scala Reale tours and don't know how many is too many to take.... My husband has never been to Italy and he is a history buff, so this will be right up his alley...

This is what I know we want to do but I want to also make sure we have some time on our own to explore:

Orientation Hike (or stroll - what is the difference) (this tour we would do on the afternoon of our arrival. Is that crazy?)

Roma Antica

Arenula - Jewish Getto

I would like to go to the Vactican, but I don't know if my husband will enjoy a 5 hour tour.

Also, is the walking tour at night worthwhile or should we just go on our own?

thanks
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:16 AM
pchsmiles

... their guides give you 4-5 hours per tour in the areas they know - The Forum, city at large (old part), Catacombs and outside Rome, and the ever popular Vatican. And they give a two hour orientation walk. We did two plus the orientation (although two of us had too much wine for lunch and got lost, so it was down to two). SR - good folks!!

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:29 AM

some of my family took three earlier this year. Like me they thought the
Forum/Colosseum tour was fabulous, and also the Vatican tour. The walking tour that included the Jewish Ghetto and the Pantheon seemed less than thrilling to them. So much of the Ghetto is a case of "on this site there USED to be..."

And no problem taking that Hike on the first day. For me it was a good way to keep moving, see some important churches that were on my list anyway, and generally see a bit of Rome.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:48 AM
pchsmiles

... SR is also great for modest restaurant tips, the best of their kind.

... here's one of them, near Campo de Fiore - we loved their recommendation. Opens for lunch at 1 p.m.:

... Ditirambo, Ub. Es. Piazza Cancelleria, 74. Tel. 06 687626.

... our bill in Lire - 117000, which included a wonderful white Sicilian - Nozze D'Oro. Sorry, cannot speak Euro -I'm still wedded to the past.

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Hi jmp,

I took SR's Vatican tour and thought it was fabulous, mostly because of the docent, Liz Lev who is extremely animated. The 4 hours went by so quickly. I see someone else is giving the Vatican tour while you're in Rome and I haven't taken an SR tour with him. By the way - the Vatican tour is still 4 hours which would leave the entire afternoon and evening free for you to explore.

We also did the evening Baroque tour which was very good. It think it may be called the Navona tour now since that is where we began the tour and ended at the Spanish Steps.

I'll be in Rome the same time as you but unfortunately not getting there until the 11th and their tour begins at 8:15 so I booked a Vatican tour with Enjoy Rome.

I wasn't that thrilled with the Orientation tour but it was included in the membership fee.

For a 3-day visit to Rome I think 2 tours would be enough.

adrienne