Bad Hair Days in France and Italy

Nov 5th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Bad Hair Days in France and Italy

I've been to France and Italy several times and I have never been able to get my hair dryer to work properly. Of course I use a converter and adapter plugs but my appliances never work very well. Am I doomed to have continuous bad hair? I find it very hard to believe that the beautiful women I've seen in those countries don't use a hair dryer! (Even the hair dryers in the hotels are barely more than a whisper of air!) Anyone else ever encounter this problem?
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:39 AM
ira

Hi judy,

Does yur hair dryer work well at home? If so, it could be your converter is underpowered.
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:40 AM

I've run into the same problem and finally broke down and bought a hairdryer on my last trip. Works like a charm without the converters or the hotel hairdryers that I'm convinced are vacuum cleaner hoses!!
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:57 AM
JonJon

I'd either get a dual voltage one (which I use with my "clothes dryer" device) or buy one locally.

On a related note...have heard that the European ones aren't as powerful as the ones in the US (since I have a shaved head I've never used one for "hair")..is this REALLY true?
And, if it is, does that mean European hair doesn't get as wet? isn't as "bad"? isn't as in a hurry to get dry?
What gives with this? Enlighten us, please.

Nov 5th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Great thoughts--my thanks to all. I think I'll buy one on my next trip to Italy this summer. I'm afraid if I don't my teenage daughters will run screaming into the streets of the eternal city....
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:57 PM
gb

I checked out the hair dryer prices in Europe last summer. If you can get to a Carrefour, they were between 15 and 30 Euros.
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Those built in hair dryers are next to useless. A lot of hotels will now provide "real" hairdryers (if there isn't one in your room, ask at the front desk). If not, buy one cheap--about 15 euros at Monoprix. Take it home and loan it out to friends and family for their trips to Europe.
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I went and had my hair blown dry in a neighborhood salon in Rome. I asked my hairdresser where I could go to buy a professional blow dryer. I don't remember the beauty supply store or its location but I have a great blow dryer that I've traveled with for years. It's only 1200 watts but it gets quite hot. It's the heat that dries the hair, not the velocity.

carnie
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:21 PM

Another vote for going to a salon for a wash and blowdry. We did this is Sorrento a few weeks ago after a battle of wills b/w our hairdryer and the fuse!
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:29 PM
cmt

I hate using hair dryers on my hair. I use those hotel hair dryers to finish drying my drip-dry laundry that is not quite dry after hanging overnight. To dry my hair, I use a towel, comb the damp hair into place, fluff it up a little while it dries, go to breakfast with damp hair, and it's usually dry by the time it's time to go out. If not, if the weather is warm, the hair just dries outside when I'm walking around. It honestly never seems like a problem to me. I wouldn't mind having stronger hair dryers for my wet clothes though.
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I bought a hair dryer in Ireland in 1995 when I forgot to use my converter. (oops!) It has been to Ireland about 5 times, twice to London, and once to Germany, mostly with friends and co-workers. It takes up very little space and dries much faster than my regular one at home. Wouldn't go without it!
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:47 PM

My first trip to Europe prompted me to cut my hair short immediately upon returning home. Never looked back.