Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Backpaking across Europe: advice on routes and how to's

Notices

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Sam

If there is anyone out there who has ay recommendations on books or just advice to someone who is planning on backapacking across Europe in Spring '00 please answer this post. I will be travleing for about 5 weeks and I want to get as much in as possible. Areas I want to hit are W. Europe, Scandinavia, and the Mediterranean.

Thanks...

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 08:11 AM
Joe

We visited a pilgrimage church in the Loire Valley last summer and were told that people still make the prilgrmiage from Paris (and elsewhere in norhthern Europe) to Sanitago de Compostella. This is an all-time historic route, has some of the great early Gothic churches, and should be really interesting.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Joe

We visited a pilgrimage church in the Loire Valley last summer and learned that people still make the pilgrimage from northern Europe to Santiago de Compostela. This is the classic medieval pilgrimage route, is lined with early gothic churches, and should be really interesting. There must be books available.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 04:32 AM
anna

Rick Steve's Europe Through The Back Door is an excellent book for those planning a backpacking trip to Europe. He has a website: www.ricksteves.com, another good website is www.eurotrip.com.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 05:32 AM
Caryn

Rick Steve's is good but the backpackers' bible is without a doubt Let's Go Europe. That's all you need for any backpacking tour.