Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Backpacks - What is the Basis for the Prejudice/Snobbery Against Them in this Forum?

Search

Backpacks - What is the Basis for the Prejudice/Snobbery Against Them in this Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:29 PM
holly

From time to time, I've seen comments in this forum essentially equating the use of a backpack as a piece of luggage with lack of funds, sophistication, class, etc. Anyone care to explain? I don't get it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:14 PM
curious

I didn't realize there was a prejudice against backpacks. My sister, who I feel confident in saying is by far more widely traveled than most in this forum, takes her trusty, large, patch covered backpack with her everywhere. The only place I can honestly think of on the planet that she has NOT traveled to is the Arctic and Antarctic. She would give most travel editors and writers a run for their money, yet insists on taking her backpack as her sole piece of luggage. It is not due to lack of funds or sophistication, but rather simple preference.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Rex

I am not prejudiced with those who use a backpack (noun) as luggage. but backpack(verb) is used to connote (with no grounds for shame or reason to look down on it) as a "style" of travel which IS typically conducted in one-half (or less) the "customary" budget - - especially for lodging (as in hostels or hotels which do not include a private bathroom) - - at least "customary" for many travelers that frequent this forum - - and usually pack in other forms of luggage. <BR> <BR> <BR>It also implies a less-structured itinerary, and - - traditionally, at least - - was a form of travel for younger travelers, for whom car rental is/was not even an option - - either because of age or affordability. <BR> <BR>If backpackers have LESS sophistication or class - - one might asked, compared to whom? and wouldn't they typically make it up for it with MORE energy, enthusiasm and awe? <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
holly

Rex - <BR> <BR>Actually, "backpacking" as a verb means "hiking with a backpack," i.e. in association with outdoor active travel. Nothing to do with budget considerations.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:53 PM
Melodie

I haven't seen any "prejudice", but I can tell you mine.....(and I've used one) WHY don't people carrying them realize that they've got "X" amount of stuff on their backs when they are whacking you in the train terminal, the shops, etc....? I always take mine off when entering the plane so I'm not smacking other fliers in the head, etc. <BR> <BR>Melodie

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:45 PM
Christina

I've been reading this forum for several years now and don't recall seeing such things about class. I think you're trying to create a fuss myself. Most remarks are that you are obvious as a tourist and perhaps a pickpocket target if you wear a backpack around town. It certainly is correlated to someone traveling on a cheaper budget who wants to stay at hostels or very cheap hotels, don't be disingenuous -- backpackers don't check into the Ritz.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:56 PM
Rosenatti

I hate to admit it, but I've stayed at several 4-5 star hotels with my trusty black backpack. Laptop aside, it's been my only piece of luggage for years, whether traveling for business or pleasure. It just works for me. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:18 PM
Rex

I do believe that in travel "venues" (especially Europe-oriented), backpack (verb) certainly does mean to travel in a certain style - - and it might not ever involve hiking, nor traveling from one place to another on foot. <BR> <BR>In camping, I would agree that to backpack, implies moving from one camp location to another with EVERYthing on the backs of the campers. <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:37 AM
Andrea

I have to second the opinion that in the context of tourism, using the word "backpack" as a verb has nothing to do with hiking, and instead with a "style" of travel. This is an important central assumption to this particular thread, and I think it's pretty commonly understood as the above. It's also the reason that people equate a backpack with the TYPE of traveller. <BR> <BR>The style is typified by young travellers on limited budgets who stay in hostels and who tend to be visiting many different places. When people say "I'm backpacking through Europe" or "This hostel caters to backpackers", they certainly aren't talking about hiking - they're talking about low-budget travel and travellers. <BR> <BR>Certainly, there are those who have money, sophistication, and class who also choose a backpack as their bag while on vacation. The original post, however, was about stereotypes - and I think there's a clear reason for the stereotyping. Whether or not it's FAIR or REASONABLE is another debate - but the question was WHY backpacks draw such negative reactions.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:42 AM
Andrea

I noticed as I re-read my post that something I said could be misconstrued. Of course, the fact that someone chooses to use a backpack or to "backpack" (verb, related to tourism) does not mean that particular person has a lack of funds, sophistication, or class. I only meant that the original stereotype comes from people travelling around on a low budget using backpacks. Whew.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Jody

I don't care what kind of luggage anyone carries and don't think anyone else does either. Like Melodie though, I think the b-packer need to remember that theyare a lot larger than usual and remove them in subways and other rowded places, carry them by hand or place them by your feet , you are taking up the room of 2 people, be careful how they turn around and don't go knocking people off their feet. And please remove them before boarding the plane and carry them. It aviods blocking aisles, swinging them and hitting people and don't displace other people things in the iverhead if you get there last, put it under your seat or find somewhere else.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Philip

I think some of the stereotype comes from retail stores. For example, Harrods in London will not allow people in the store if they are carrying a backpack. A person can only infer from this that Harrod's does not want unsophisticated people in their store. (I draw that conclusion because they also don't want people with ripped jeans in their store). I also agree with other posters, I have no problem with backpackers as long as they watch where they are swinging their pack.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:11 AM
curious

Christina, I'll have to disagree with you regarding the fact that people with Backpacks don't check into the Ritz. My sister and I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Saint Thomas and the Regent Chaing Mai in Thailand (IMO a step above a Ritz and my vote for one of the best in the world), she with her trusty big backpack in tow. The bellman didn't give it a second glance.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Marsha

I have heard that thieves love backpacks - a knife can rip open a hole in one on the subway or in a line. My kids and I carry smaller backpacks when flying, but leave them in the hotel while day-tripping. That is my prejudice against backpacks.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Tommi

Personally, I do feel this forunm has a verry big predjudice against anyone who lacks funds, lacks sophistication and lacks class. If you read the bios thread here you will see this place is spilling over with yuppies. Not all, but many, look down, down, down on those who haven't traveled to Europe like they have.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Capo

I admit that I read just a small minority of the threads here but, in the ones I've read, I've noticed little, if any, of what you mention. The comments I've seen "against" backpacks are usually to warn people that something carried on your back cannot easily be watched (by the carrier, that is) and is, therefore, more ripe for the picking by pickpockets.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:50 AM
thief

My guess is that Harrod's (and other department stores) bars backpacks because of theft, not snobbery. A backpack makes a handy tool for stuffing stolen good. And I seriously doubt that Harrod's would turn away business from someone just because he's carrying a backpack.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:35 PM
holly

Christina - <BR> <BR>Interesting - you initially deny that such stereotypes exist, and then go on to affirm them by correlating backpacks with budget travel. Thank you for helping me make my point. This is EXACTLY the type of assumption to which I was referring. I wasn't trying to make a fuss - I was inquiring about that very sort of statement. <BR> <BR>I've traveled with a backpack (of varying sizes) on most of my trips - from short business trips to long overseas ones. I discovered at a young age that this was by far the easiest way to carry things (and i don't swing them around on trains/planes). As "disingenuous" as it may seem to you, I do check into 4 and 5 star hotels with a backpack.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Pip

I think the term backpacker denotes a young, freewheeling type of traveler. <BR>Maybe it stems from the fact that by the time most people can afford to stay in five stars, they have too many aches and pains to carry a pack on their back. <BR>As for myself I now prefer to roll my luggage instead of lugging it on my back. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Granny

Pip, I agree, one push and I would be lolling around like a turtle on it's upturned shell if I wore a backpack these days. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -