Search

Car Hire: France, Spain and Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2016, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Hire: France, Spain and Italy

Hello

My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip around France, Spain and Italy over 4 weeks in July 2016. We are both very experienced drivers in our forties, so car hire shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, we have never hired a car in Europe before, so we need your advice please on how to go about it and the pitfalls we may encounter. Ideas for the best car hire companies would be appreciated, also.

Our plan is to fly in and out of Paris, so pick-up and drop-off will be at the same location. If you have better ideas about which city to hire from please let us know, as we can start and end our trip in any major city. We are still in the process of finalizing our itinerary, but we will be crossing borders several times for sure. Do car hire companies have rules and restrictions about this, for example?

Thanks in advance!
Sonalee
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 01:48 AM

You will see that the large international car rental companies (like Avis, Hertz...) offer cars in Europe as well as European companies which are professional and reliable (Europcar, Sixt).

Or you use a consolidator like AutoEurope.

Go on their websites and you will see they look familiar.

Within Paris, a car would be a hindrance. Start renting the car when you will be leaving Paris. Choose a rental station near a railway or RER station to avoid extra airport fees.

If, after Paris, you want to go to Bourgogne or Southern France, you might take the TGV from Paris to your destination and rent the car there - TGV is usually much faster than driving. And, again, you should start driving as far from Paris center as possible (unless you start on a Sunday).

It is no problem to drive in Italy or Spain with a French rental car as long as you return it in France (otherwise hefty fees apply).

Otherwise, you will find that there is not much difference.

But obey the speed limits and do not shoot at speed cameras!
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 02:23 AM

A few more things:

Most rental cars in France run with diesel (French: gazole).

Never put gas into a diesel car! Always double check at the pump (most gas stations are self-service, you get the cheapest gas at hypermarchés, you pay by credit card after filling).

Tolls: At the toll stations, there are lanes for paying cash (which are often crowded), lanes for credit cards (marked "CB" - carte bancaire) and lanes for electronic devices (telepeage). Never go into a telepeage lane! At home, make sure with your credit card company that it will be accepted in Europe (you need a chip).

If you are AAA member you will probably get roadside assistance from the European partner clubs. Check with AAA and save the emergency numbers of the French, Spanish and Italian partner clubs.

What else?

There are a few threads here from people who complain about car rental scams. I do not take these posts too serious. In order to be on the safe side:

- When renting the car, look carefully for scratches and have them reported in the contract sheet.

- Just before returning the car, make photographs from all sides.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM

Some thoughts:

Can you drive a standard transmission car? Most rentals in Europe are stick shift; automatic transmission costs more and is reliably available only at airports and big city rental offices.

You need an International Driver's Permit (IDP) to drive in Italy and Spain, in addition to your driver's license. If you're in North America, IDPs are readily and inexpensively available at AAA/CAA offices. They'll also take your photo.

Starting your trip in Paris and ending it at the far point of your travels makes more sense. Open-jaw tickets (multi-city on airplane web sites) cost about the same as round trip and save the time and money to backtrack.

BUT a car rental company will usually charge you a hefty fee for dropping a rental car in a different country.

For longer rents like yours leasing a car is often a better deal. Here's AutoEurope's page on leasing: www.autoeurope.com/long-term-car-rental. And another: www.europebycarblog.com

I would not want to travel in these countries in July without having made hotel reservations. But I don't like to waste vacation time looking for a place to stay. Be sure to get parking at your hotels; it's not a given.

Driving in European cities is not advised. They're crowded, have many pedestrian-only zones (ZTLs in Italy), and parking's very expensive. A driving trip implies you're mostly avoiding cities. Does this fit with your plans?
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We are still in the process of finalizing our itinerary,<<

Before making ANY decisions re a car, you need to at least have an idea of your itinerary. If mostly cities, a car is a waste of time and money. But if mostly countryside - than a car will usually be an advantage.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:34 AM

If retunring to Paris makes sense, ok, if not, why not flying open-jaw ?
In this case, rent cars inside each country and cross countries with train.

Another possibility is to lease a car - heard Renault/Peugeot and other do that for long(er) periods (like 4 weeks).

Do check, I've never done it myself.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Key points:

Driving a car in most cities in europe is a nonsense since many have pedestrian only zones - with very high fines if you drive in - even inadvertently.

So plan the trip to pick up the car when you leave the first city and drop it as soon as you reach the last.

In between check carefully about pedestrian zones so you can avoid them.

Check to see if any hotel has parking (most don't) or if they can reco commercial parking nearby (outside of pedestrian zone)

Most rental cars in europe are manual - if you want automatic rent from a very large rental office (airport is often best) and realize that it is often available only in the larger cars and will not be cheap.

Typically picking up i n one country and dropping in another has a heft drop off charge - which is often higher for larger cars - assume $500 or so but do check.

We have done - and loved - numerous road trips in europe but you need to modify your plannng (and driving) to local conditions. For example - do NOT drive in the left lane. This is for passing only and if you drive there you might be honked, flashed and given rude remarks/gestures. IMHO most drivers in europe are better than in the US since it's much harder to get a license - and a good many people that drive (very poorly) in the US (since a chimp can pass the driving test) would not have a license there. Drivers tend to be assertive (not aggressive) and capable - and expect the same from you.

And finally - do not even attempt to drive without a good set of paper maps, including very detailed maps of any towns you would be driving into. GPS is fine unless there is an accident or construction or whatever - and then you can't see enough of the countryside to figure out what to do next. And do study the maps before the trip to have routes and alternates in mind.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 09:19 AM

Sorry - assume parking will cost about $40 per night.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 09:39 AM

BTW you don't need to be a member of AAA to get an IDP there. The total charge including photo is about $25.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 10:54 AM

AAA is the only authorized place that provides IDPs in the US, as far as I know, it isn't something to do with being a member, although I doubt if the OP is American given the term "hiring" a car. Americans don's say that, they say renting.

I have never had a rental car in France that used diesel, so I think the advice would be to get the kind of gas the car requires, whether diesel or non-diesel.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 05:05 PM

Take pictures of your car with your cell phone when you pick it up and when you drop off.

When looking for hotels, look for free parking. I had no problem finding them my last trip.

I always get a hatchback which is much easier with luggage. In Frankfurt took taxi to rental site only a few miles away and saved much on airport fee.

I did get international license from AAA in 2014.

I took a TomTom I already had for directions. Just in case, I did learn to copy directions to hotel on my phone when I booked them the night before we headed there.

I did use my credit card there mainly and really only needed a card with chip (which I didn't have at time) buying metro tickets in Paris.

Know you will have an exciting trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I did get international license from AAA in 2014.<<

Nope. AAA doesn't issue International 'licenses'. You got an IDP -- International Drivers <i>Permit</i>.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 07:11 AM

If you can chose any city to start - I would choose Amsterdam, easy access and airport pickup/drop off is easy - Got a great monthly rental from Europecar - look for a discount from airline or coupon - or use Hertz or Budget - do not use Sixt - they might offer a great rate but they are not very good to deal with - read the other forums for examples..less expensive cars you will get manual transmission - save a bit on gas - which is expensive - if they offer a diesel - take it - diesel in europe is cheaper than gas and the tanks are bigger - less stops...make sure you are insured for Italy and Spain - some companies charge more for those countries or restrict them - too many car thefts. Driving is great, roads are good and well marked - get a GPS, one built into the car is better than a phone and relax
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM

I have had good luck with AutoEurope and Kemwel for car rental in Europe. I would call and speak with both on the phone as I have found them to be very helpful.

I would agree about not renting the car in Paris until you are ready to leave and dropping it off as soon as you return.

The car companies should not have any trouble with you crossing borders between those countries.

If you can drive a manual shift, the rental is usually much cheaper.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 10:39 AM

We rented a car from Hertz in the US for 20 days of driving through France. We picked up and dropped off at CDG airport, got an automatic that used regular gas, not diesel, and thought the charge was very reasonable.

I watched You Tube videos about driving in France, using toll booths, using gas pumps, etc and found that very helpful.

We took our own GPS but it often tried to lead us astray so I was very glad that I had downloaded Michelin map directions to the iPad I carried and saved them so that they could be accessed without WiFi. Google maps was also helpful in a pinch when I had WiFi or accessed it on my phone. I bought a SIM card and 1 month package of minutes in Paris.

We had only traveled by rail in Europe previously but there were many beautiful places in France we couldn't have accessed except by car. It was a wonderful country to drive in - excellent roads and signage.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 12:30 PM

If you are planning on having the car for the entire 4 weeks, you should consider the Long Term Car Rental offered by AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com/long-term-car-rental/). Great savings.

With the Long Term Car Rental option, you will actually receive the car you booked, not just something in the same class. EuropCar tried to push a Jeep Renegade on us on a recent rental. Not something you want to spend any time driving.