Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about train travel from Paris to Reims

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Paris station does the train leave from? How long is the ride? What does it cost? Is the price lower if I book in advance? How can I access a schedule? Any Reims recommendations for a good place for lunch or dinner?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM

You take the train from Gare d'Este (east). The ride is about an hour and a half. It costs about 40 E round trip. We didn't book in advance at the end of June. Plenty of seats. You can get the tickets at the station.

You can go to raileurope.com just for the schedule. They are very expensive to book through. Or you can go to http://www.tgv-europe.com/index.html

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ann1!
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM

You're welcome. Enjoy. It's a great trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM

If possible, ask your hotel to book a restaurant for you.
We had a lovely lunch not far from the cathedral that was recommended by our concierge... Unfortunately, I can't remember the name -
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM

DON'T go to RailEurope unless you want to pay way more than you need to!

Go to www.sncf.fr. If you can't navigate through the French, there are folks here (myself included) who can help you. And be advised that if you click on the British flag in the SNCF website to get the English language, you'll end up right back at RailEurope, so don't do that.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Oh, and in case you need it for research purposes, the correct spelling is Gare de l'Est.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM

When I arrive in Reims are the Cathedrale and Surrender Museum in walking distance ? or are there buses to take? Any recommendations for lunch would be heloful too. Thanks for all your help. Leaving for Paris in a month.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi I,

www.voyages-sncf.com has PREMS fares as low as 15E, and you can print your ticket online.

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM

nicerue50, both the Cathédral and the Musée de Reddition are within walking distance of the main railway station in Reims. They are, though, in opposite directions: the museum is north of the station and the cathedral is south of it.

When you research railway tickets to Reims, see if you can select one that stops at "Reims Gare" (the old downtown station) rather than "Champagne Ardenne", which is, I think, the suburban TGV station.

I had a very good lunch of mussels and fries at Le Grand Café on Place d'Erlon. That's the pedestrianized street that runs from the area of the station to the area of the cathedral:

www.le-grandcafe.com

Anselm
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Well, that was clumsy. It's Cathédrale if in French but I was thinking in English.

AA
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM

StCirq: I said "just for the schedule. They are very expensive to book through." I use the sites for information only. Not to buy through.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks AnselmAdorne. Your info is very helpful and good choice moules and frites. The restaurant looks delightful. Looking forward to our Remis day trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM

I just recently bought PREM tickets for my parents for the same trip on www.voyages-sncf.com. 45 minutes, 15EUR each way on the TGV. Print tickets myself.

Exactly as ira says.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM

When you click on the english version on www.voyages-sncf.com it brings you to http://www.tgv-europe.com/index.html which is what I mentioned in my first post.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the information. I don't want to purchase in advance, preferring instead to play it by ear. Is the 15 euro o/w price valid only for advance purchases? Thanks.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Yes, for example, if you search for trains for next Monday, cheapest is €28.30. Almost double the PREM fare.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

forgive my ignorance...what is PREM?
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM

From RailEurope's site:

What are Prem's fares? Prem's fares are heavily discounted fares with very restricted availability. They can usually only be booked up to 14 days in advance (although some Prem's fares can be booked up to 7 days in advance). Because of the restricted availability, seats/couchettes at Prem's rates can sell out very quickly, especially on peak departure times and dates.l

What kinds of discount do Prem's fares offer?
Prem's fares are not calculated as a percentage of full fares, unlike Discovery fares.

There are generally 4 price levels:
Level Zero or Lead-in fare which is a fixed price regardless of the route but it is different depending on whether the passenger travels in a standard class seat, a first class seat, a 4-berth couchette etc.

Level Zero prices start at:
Standard class on a TGV is £19 and Corail is £11.50
First class on a TGV is £33.50 and Corail is £19.00
Standard class couchettes (6-berth couchettes) on a overnight French domestic train is £26
First class couchettes (4-berth couchettes) on an overnight French domestic train is £44.50

Levels One, Two, and Three are more expensive but with better availability, as follows:

Price Level Availability:
Lead-in Extremely restricted
Intermediate 1 Very restricted
Intermediate 2 Quite restricted
Intermediate 3 Restricted

The prices for Levels One, Two and Three are different depending on the route.

Where does the name Prem's come from?Prem's is an abbreviation of the French word "Premier" (meaning "first&quot. When children play a game and have to designate who starts first, the first one to start is the one who says "prem's" first.
SNCF have used this word, as Prem's are cheap fares which are available to those who book their journey well in advance.in other words to those who book first.

On which routes are Prem's fare valid?
Prem's fares are valid on selected French domestic routes (TGV, Corail (Day and Overnight), TIR) and on some international routes including Artesia and Paris to Luxembourg.

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

wow, orval, thanks! above and beyond!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -