Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back to the fluff: Any interesting experiences with hair salons in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 10:44 AM
LA Woman

When I was in Sorrento, I just didn't feel like bothering doing the whole hair routine in my room, so I went to a local salon. <BR>The owner was very nice and showed me right to a stylist. I got a nice Italian hair cut and two stylists dried my hair, one to hold the dryer and one to hold the comb. They also gave me a nice neck massage. A very nice way to meet the locals, they tried to include me in their conversations and we all had some good laughs.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:01 AM
LaFemme

Once in Paris, I needed to have my legs waxed, and went to a hair dresser at Rue St. Andre des Arts. The waxing lady was chinese, and did an excellent job. Although she did not speak English at all, and barely spoke French, she told me of a special facial that acted as a rejuvenating treatment. I decided to try, and came back the day after. She firstly applied a light cream, then some shiatsu massage on my face, but one side at a time, and finally, an electrical stimulation. She gave me then a mirror, and I was amazed by what I saw: the side that she had treated was much younger than the other! Obviously, I got the same done on the other side of my face, and was looking at least five years younger when I left. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, the results lasted for a week only, and slowly disappeared after that, as the chinese lady had told me.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Reba

Once when I was in China on a tour, I went to a deserted salon in my hotel. There was one young girl reading a book, she spoke no English, and I speak no Chinese. She got up, slowly put away her book and motioned for me to follow her into the back room. <BR>She sat me down and slowly poured a whole bottle of shampoo on my dry head. Massaged it into a heap and I mean heap of suds and made points, etc. with my hair, like kids do. I kept trying to get up to get rinsed, and she kept seating me back down. Finally she rinsed off the suds (it took a really long time with a whole bottle of soap to contend with) and styled my hair as usual. I never found out if that is the norm or even if she was the hairdresser. But my hair came out beautifully. <BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Tammy

Once in Paris I wanted to be daring and I got my hair cut like a Parisian, kind of like Audrey Hepburn's or that lady that is starring in Va Savoir movie. <BR>That was as daring as I get in Europe.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:41 PM
xxxx

I got my nose hairs cut in Russia.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 04:00 PM
wendy

I got a hair cut in Dover once. Okay, it was only a trim. It cost £8 and I tipped the lady £2.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Carolee

Once in Italy I got a pedicure (after buying those cute sandals)! I was amazed that the nail tech(?) did not paint the whole width of the big toe nail! I was told this is how it is done in Italy. Apparently, this is done to make the toes look longer and not so fat?

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Faye

Carolee, I like that idea because I have fat toes! This is why this site is so important, tips where you least expect them!

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 12:25 PM
sandi

You're lucky...I don't wear those classy sandals because I have long "finger" toes...yuk!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Ess

I didn't used any hair salon services while traveling (but certainly could have!), but when we were in France I noticed that the smallest villages hadat least two, sometimes more, hair salons. I wondered how a small population could support so many hair salons, but I realized that the French women will stop in for a shampoo and blow dry (or brushe, I think they call it), while most American women will style their own hair unless they need a cut, or are going to some special occasion. We don't often have the time to just stop in for a brushe, but it's such a nice treat. I wish I could adopt the habit.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Nance

Yess, Ess, a nice brushe would be a nice on a regular basis. I think on the whole, French women take more time and consideration for their personal style and pampering. Don't they feel it is more of a necessity than a treat? <BR>More of us should adapt this theory and cultivate our femininity.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Beth

In Dijon I wanted a touch-up of my color. I went into a small salon and the girls gave me a wonderful color. <BR>When the dye was still on my hair, they put a big solarlike light on my hair and it took less than half the time to take the color. I was amazed. I was in and out in about 45 mins. <BR>I find that women of all backgrounds bond in a hair salon. It is universal.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Beth

Not a hair-raising tale, but I do have a salon story! When I first moved to Germany as a young newlywed, I decided to go for a facial at Breuninger's department store. I spoke no German, she spoke no English, but we both knew a little French. She offered several types of facials, but the best I could make out was that the "Maria Galland" was done with heat. Well, what kind of facial doesn't have heat?! Of course, I chose the "Maria Galland." Next thing I knew, I was covered in a plaster from my hair line to my decolletage! Only my eyes were spared, and they were covered in cotton. I expected little straws to be placed in my nostrils! (Not!) Then the darn thing got piping hot . . . I started whining (mouth was covered) and making "fanning" motions with my hand! She just replied in a soothing tone, and made me wait it out until several minutes later when the thing got freezing cold. The finale was popping the thing off whole with a great deal of suction-action going on! I paid in a hurry, left a big tip to prove I enjoyed myself, and went home in a hurry to laugh myself silly and study my German/English dictionary! <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Aandy

I had my hair color done in Spello, italy. the hairdresser spoke not a word of English and my Italian was practically non-existent, even though i had taken "lessons" before I went. She brought out a book with all the colors and we picked one -- that is, SHE managed to let me know which was the right color. she had another customer, so once the color was on my hair, i got to sit there for an hour and listen ot thse women gossip in Italian. I only caught every other word, but it was wonderful! I felt as though I were really looking in a wondow at small town life in Italy. And my hair came out great!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Emily

The best laugh of 2000 for me..... We went to Sicily for a long deserved vacation. Hubby did not have time to get a haircut back home before we left. We went to the salon at the hotel where poor Bob was immediately surrounded by 3 Italian women with scissors who couldn't speak English. I left hurriedly before he could run out with me and left instructions that I would be waiting by the pool. One long hour later Bob appeared with BIG (really BIG)hair....they turned him into Elvis with a big swept up pompadour the likes of which I have never seen. The "do" lasted all of 5 minutes but the laughing still lingers on......

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Jen

Two European beauty school experiences: <BR>A few years ago in London, my friends decided to get their hair cut at Vidal Sassoon's school--they called and the woman asked if they wanted their hair short, because that's the only type of hair cut they were doing that week! They decided to go for it and got very stylish--though very short--haircuts for about 8 pounds each. <BR>My experience at a beauty school in Sevilla, Spain, was not so pleasant. Even though I told the receptionist that I wanted a cut & wash, the student misunderstood & thought I only wanted a wash & style. She started blow-drying my hair and I asked, "you know I'm getting a cut, right?" to which she replied, "no, and I'm not allowed to cut." She called her supervisor over, who told her to finish drying my hair. She did so, then the instructor took a pair of scissors and using four quick chops, cut off about 4 inches of my (dry) hair! Amazingly, it turned out okay...but not an experience I'd repeat!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Ess

Emily: LOL! That's a great story. Were you able to get a snapshot of him? :0)

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Dina

Boy, these are so funny, I am laughing here at my office and people are wondering what is happening. <BR> <BR>In Germany at a little spa by Lake Titisee I got a massage from a big-boned woman who spoke no English, and <BR>I speak no German. She pounded and twirled me around on the cot and I was so out of breath from bracing myself that I couldn't get my message to stop across. I was much more timid in those days and couldn't defend myself. But I did feel much better afterwards. She wiped her hands on her apron and left the room with the air of victory, while I gasped for air.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Geri

I told a hairdresser in Italy I wanted an inch cut off, I was left with hair one inch long, off the ears and neck, very short.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Mustangs81

My daughter got married in Florence last year. We made a hair and makeup appointment at a shop near our hotel. The morning of the wedding my daughter, who is an early riser, woke up very late (because I had pulled down the awnings in our room and it was very dark). Anyway, she jumped up and was very agitated that she was going to be late for her wedding. <BR> <BR>She ran down to the salon, got her hair and makeup done then realized that she didn't have any money or credit cards. She ran out of the salon and said that she would pay them later. She came back to the hotel and put on her wedding gown, we quickly went to the Palazzo Vecchio where the ceremony was to be held. <BR> <BR>Hours later after the wedding and festivities the carriage was taking us back to the hotel and she remembered the money she owed the salon. The horse and carriage pulled up to the salon and we went in to pay. She, of course, had on her wedding dress. The shop owner, technicians, and customers broke out in cheers. The owner was very delighted to see her in her dress and, I'm sure, to get paid. The Italians were genuinely happy to see the beautiful bride. They love weddings. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -