Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Back to Paris--need hotel advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/back-to-paris-need-hotel-advice-1085444/)

cassword Feb 2nd, 2016 05:47 PM

Back to Paris--need hotel advice

Am returning to Paris for a 3rd time. Three years ago, we stayed in an apartment in the Marais. Following some of the advice on Fodor's, we are going for a hotel rather than our preference of an apartment. Don't want to be lawbreakers!
Any thoughts on the following hotels for 2 in their late 50s who like to walk and go to markets and are comfortable on the Metro, but want a quiet, pleasant room at night?
What about Hotel Bretonniere, Hotel Castex, or Bourg TiBourg? Others?
Am also considering Bastille de Launay and maybe even Hotel Verneuil in the 7th?

Thank you for your help. The information here is invaluable.

ssander Feb 3rd, 2016 01:05 AM

We usually stay at Hotel de Nice on the west edge of the Marais...it's right on r. Rivoli, which some may not find desirable, be we like that.

Great location--a couple of blocks from the bridge to Ile St Louis (to which we stroll nearly evry night), nice people, and not expensive.

NOTE: We are in our late 60s and generally do a lot of walking. Hotel de Nice is right across the street from the Place Baudoyer twice-weekly market (Wed & Sat), about two blocks from the Hotel de Ville Metro stop (~12 min from Chalatlet/Les Halles), and within a block or two of several good bus stops.

ssander

PatrickLondon Feb 3rd, 2016 03:03 AM

I stayed at the Bastille de Launay a few years ago. Comfortable, clean, safe. There was then (and maybe still is) a concentration of motor bike and scooter shops and workshops in the area, but I didn't notice any major noise, certainly not outside working hours. Rue Amelot at that point is away from the main traffic boulevards and the noisier nightlife around Bastille and Oberkampf, but very conveniently located for public transport and plenty of places to eat.

Weekender Feb 3rd, 2016 04:05 AM

I have stayed at the Bretonnerie, Bourg Tibourg and the Verneuil.

The Bourg Tibourg has the smallest rooms I have ever seen anywhere. Terrible.

The Verneuil was sold a couple of years ago and has been redone and is very nice. Standard rooms tend to be very small as well. The location is great as well.

I think the Bretonnerie is the best of the three. Good sized rooms, very good location and well priced.

Southam Feb 3rd, 2016 04:28 AM

You could consider an apartment hotel, providing some apartment facilities such as a small kitchen while operating with a front desk and other hotel services. There are several chains. Try the big booking services such as www.booking.com or www.hotels.com for samples. Or search for Paris and aparthotel.

fuzzbucket Feb 3rd, 2016 10:41 AM

For the price, and if you want to stay in the Marais, Hotel Le Bretonnerie is a very good choice.

I'm not a fan of the Hotel deLaunay - especially if you're staying over the weekend, when the Bastille market and the nightlife are in full swing. Hotel Casteix is on a quiet street not far from there, but could really use a good facelift.

The Classic rooms at Hotel Bourg-Tibourg are very small, though I don't know about the others. Personally, I'm not crazy about this street, which is always clogged with people, especially on weekends.

Hotel Verneuil is across town and much more expensive, but nice. If you want to stay in or near St Germain, I can recommend Hotel Residence Henri IV, on a little side street near the Cluny museum. You can ask for either an apartment with a kitchenette or regular room. It's in a great location, plenty to do and in easy walking (or Metro/Bus) distance to the Marais, if you want to go visit your old neighborhood.

One last suggestion - Hotel Saint-Louis-en-l'isle. Nice rooms that were recently updated, decent prices for the neighborhood, and the romantic idea that you'll be staying on an island in the Seine.

el13207 Feb 7th, 2016 03:54 PM

We loved the Hotel St Louis en-l'isle in the fall of 14- but I will say our room was incredibly small! That said, we'll probably return the next time we go to Paris. GREAT location IMO & OK price given where it is. Friends also stay at nearby Hotel Lutece on l'isle & like it a lot ( a bit pricier).

welltraveledbrit Feb 7th, 2016 04:01 PM

We stayed around the corner from the Hotel Bretonniere for a few months and my mother and aunts stayed there and we spent a couple of nights there when we had a problem in the apartment. Anyway, I'd recommend it.

The location is great if you want something very central and the decor is distinctive. It has a charming vintage feel without being chi chi in anyway. The rooms vary enormously, they are very individual and they have at least one very large room with lots of space but having seen quite a number of their rooms I'd recommend it.