Just back from Paris....

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 04:35 AM
Kristine

Just back from Paris....

Just returned from Paris where we spent Thanksgiving week. As native Floridians, I was concerned about the weather. We had temperatures from mid 30's to mid 50's. We dressed in layers: tank top, long johns, turtle neck, leather jacket, gloves, scarf and boots. I am pleased to say there was no rain and we spent much of our time walking without being miserable. We stayed in our favorite area, Rue Cler and indulged in the crepes from the stand by Cafe du Marche, almond croissants from boulangarie on corner of Rue Cler/Rue de Grenelle many times. We also love Cafe du Marche! Of course, we recommend the Museum Pass and Orange Carte Metro Pass. Highlights: Lunch at Angelina's and pipe organ concert at St Sulpice, Musee Orsay and lunch at Orsay second floor restaurant. We had been in May during the <BR>Museum workers strike and had to return to <BR>finish the trip. Saw Louve, Sacre Couer and got to top of Arc that we couldn't do in May. Biggest DISAPPOINTMENT: I had studied the web site for concert schedule at St Chapelle and planned to be at 16:00H concert of Trumpets on Sunday 28/11. This was a pick over Vivadi violin concert on Saturday 27/11 at St Julien le Pauvre. We got to St Chapelle and couldn't get anyone to tell me where to get the tickets I had reserved. A very rude ticket taker kept waving and saying "fine'". I was frustrated to find out that the last concert at St Chapelle was held on November 16th. The web site posted incorrect information or never updated old info. Beware...these things should be confirmed. Had I known this was true I would have attended the Saturday Vivaldi concert at St Julien. Overall, I learned NOT to include another couple in our travel plans. My husband and I travel at a quick pace on our own and need to leave friends at home. Still a great trip. Any questions?

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 04:44 AM
Lori

Glad to hear that you had a great time in my favorite city. But disappointed to hear about events regarding the concert at St. Chapelle. My husband and I attended the Vivaldi concert on 11/16 (of all dates) and it was wonderful and we had no problem retrieving our tickets that I reserved on their web site. If you get back to Paris, do give it another try for it is a truly awe inspiring experience. Funny your comments about traveling with another couple, for my husband and I feel the same way. We are very much in tune with each others wants and desires when it comes to traveling and unfortunately find that others just hinder us. Welcome back!!!

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 08:14 AM
niki

<BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 08:58 AM
Karen

Ironically, I also tried to attend the 11/28 concert at St. Chapelle after I had reserved a spot on-line. This was very frustrating -- but overall, Paris is great - and Thanksgiving is a great time to travel there - minimal tourists and virtually no waits for any musuems. I tried some great restuarants -- La Bastide Odeon in St. Germaine and Au Bon Accueil near the Eiffel Tower -- both were phenomenal.

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 10:43 AM
Georgia

Too bad you missed the 11/16 concert. My friend Kim and I attended that concert. It was nice maybe next time. We almost missed it because we didn't where to pick up the tickets but we just kept an it and we were waved in through the main gates. A guard in the side gate told us where to go and we found the main gates after really thinking about what he told us in French. <BR>Lori, we must have seen each other but didn't know it. <BR>I too reserved our tickets on the web with no problems. <BR>Kristine, do listen to Lori and give Ste Chapelle another chance.

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 03:52 AM
Kristine

Karen; Au Bon Accueil was on my list of 'musts' but we were told we could get reservations for NEXT week. We asked for a recommendation and were told about Le Clos des Gourmets around the corner on Avenue Rapp. It was very small with seating for 20 or so, sittings at 7:30 and 9:30 with on cancellation for 7:30. We were in!! <BR>It was a fixed price menu, all in French. They were very kind to us and sent a girl from the back to interpret. Guests next to us from Germany spoke English and chatted with us too. Dinner ended up being our finest experience/meal the whole week. We were served chanpagne, toast with black olive spread, a bottle of wine, appetizers, dinner and dessert. It was a excellent dinner and costs $50US each. We couldnt do that at home. <BR> <BR>We stay on Rue Cler and enjoy Cafe du Marche a few times each visit. Our favorite Leffe Blonde beer (belgium) and wonderful casual dinners, excellent salads, and fresh oysters. We certainly enjoy the food.