Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back from weekend trip to Paris w/ 11 and 15 year old-any questions?

Notices

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:59 AM
donna

Took advantage of a mini school break and FF miles, and went to Paris for a long weekend--left Wednesday night, returned Sunday.
Had a great time!!
Stayed at Hotel St Paul in the 6eme in a quad room. Location was excellent. Room had double bed, then a twin with a trundle underneath. Large full bath, however shower/tub only had half a door(??), so was hard not to get floor wet. Room was big enough--however we really only slept there.
Did major sights--Tour Eiffel, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, and Notre Dame. Kids liked Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame best. Ate at Polidor, Bofinger, McDonalds(kids lunch), an Italian cafe and misc cafes- also Berthillon for ice cream. Liked Bofinger best!! Would be glad to answer any questions, as I know people always have questions about traveling with kids to Europe.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:03 PM
lizbeth

Donna,
I stayed at the St. Paul on my first trip to Paris. I absolutely loved the location and the tiny but elegant room I stayed in.
Most of all I loved seeing Sputnik the cat (who loved to hop in the elevator for a quick ride) and Yugo the golden retriever whenever I'd come "home" from my adventures. Hope they're both o.k.
What did you eat at Bofinger, and how was the service? I'm staying on the Right Bank in a couple of months and that is one of the restaurants I want to stop in at.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Donna

Yes, Hugo and Sputnik are still well. Sputnik did come visit us a couple of evenings, then we let him back to his perch on the front desk. I had chateaubriand with bernaise sauce at Bofinger and a vegetable tart for appetizer. The veg tart was tres tres bien!! The meal was very nice, including the service--my family was made to feel very welcome. We ate in the non smoking part-which is the room with the stained glass dome--very pretty. I made the reservations about 2 weeks ahead of time to make sure I got that room. I faxed the reservation in, and got a return fax confirm. I can look up the fax number if you'd like.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:49 PM
pj

Donna, I am taking my 12 year old son to Paris this March. We thought we would split up the stay in 2 different districts. The marais and St. Germain Des Pres. Hotel Danube and Caron De Beaumarchaise {sp}.
Thinking about Versailles and the catacombs, sewer tour?
Musee D'Orsay? Did they mind the long hike up Arc de Triomph?
You can email me with any pertinent info. Thanks, PJ

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Casey

Hi,
Please share the info here, as I too, am traveling to Paris with kids (12 and 19) and would appreciate the help!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 04:47 PM
kevin

Does your hotel have an email or website?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Donna

You can call the hotel directly. Their number is 43 26 98 64. The owners speak excellent English. We did not climb up Arc de Tr--we did a more 'walk the Champs D'Eyessle(sp) to the Arc, then back down to the Metro. We DID use the steps at Tour Eiffel-(line was too long--walking was kids idea)--kids sprinted up-- we also walked(no other way) to the top of Notre Dame. Even though steps involved in both Eiffel and Notre Dame, those were the things kids liked best. With only 3 days, we did not have time for many other things, and spent a lot of time wandering the streets of the Latin Quarter, browsing, shopping and sitting in cafes. We enjoyed not being at a 'tourist site' every moment, but getting the feel of everyday Paris a bit.
PJ- would not split up hotels--too much trouble. You can easily get around through walking or Metro, so why bother check in and check out.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
ttt

for D

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
lynn

Donna-
I am leaving for Paris with my 14 yr old and will arrive on xmas day for 7 days. Any other tips? We will be staying in the 6 arr. I didn't make any dinner or lunch reservations and am worried about that. I speak limited French. Is that a problem?
How did you get to your Hotel from the airport?
ANything we should be sure to bring with us? What about clothes?
Thanks s much.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:29 PM
Carol

To Lynn: Since no one has responded in a more timely and knowledgeable way, I will offer my humble thoughts.

I, too, would be concerned about arriving on a holiday so I would enlist the help of the concierge of the hotel. Either call or email them and let them make reservations ASAP for you. I would definitely have some munchies w/me...just in case.

There are plenty of postings on this site re: various ways to get to Paris from CDG. I've always taken AirFrance bus to Montparnasse and then by Taxi to my hotel in the 6th. The next time, however, I am going to try the RER rail as I don't travel w/lots of luggage.

If possible, I would try to have some euros with me before I left as if you find an exchange open Xmas, it will probably be some place like the airport where you get gouged! I've read of people who for whatever reason, their credit cards/atms fail them.

I wouldn't stress out on language. Learn the s'il vous plait, merci, excusez-moi, pardon etc. Make an attempt and you'll usually get bailed out.

I'm jealous. Have a wonderful time w/your son. Bon voyage!