back from trip to Southern France

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:57 PM
wil

back from trip to Southern France

Just came back from a wonderful two weeks in Southern France. We rented a car from AVIS and speaking very little French, managed to find our way with relative ease and had no trouble with tolls (use credit card, it's so convenient and fast) or pumping gas. We found tolls to be rather expensive though. Stayed at this wonderful bed and breakfast in Uzes called Mas de Luna. Wonderful and gracious host. Anyone needing their contact or more information can email me. Thanks for all the advise I got before I left.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Sandi Freeman

My sister and I are going to Paris for a week and then to Provence for a week. We will be in France from July 3-17th. We are not planning on renting a car for getting around in Provence. What is the best way to get from town to town and still see the little villages. Will the July tourists be a problem since we are going without room reservations? Anymore recommendations for quaint moderately priced places?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Randy

Where in France is Uzes. What was the cost per night. We're going the first three weeks in September and are looking to do an all B&B holiday starting in Amsterdam to Paris to Nice to Rome. We are renting a car and looking for places to stay between the cities.

I would appreciate any advice you could post.

Thanks
Randy

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:05 AM
ann

I was in Provence last July and things were quite heavily booked. If you are planning to get from town to town by bus and find lodging once you get there I suspect you will spend a lot of time waiting for buses and looking for rooms. Renting a car is a breeze, as is driving, and then at least you would eliminate all the time you would be wasting on buses. On the other hand if you have rooms booked then taking buses from town to town won't be so bad. However, some of the smaller towns only see a bus once or twice a day. We had rooms booked (two nights each in three different towns) and drove and had a fantastic time.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Christina

I'm going to Provence next week also and have been before so am a little familiar with getting around and hotels. Places I tried to book (hotels and B&Bs) were very full last March already, so I think you will have a lot of trouble without reservations -- I had to try about a dozen hotels at that point before I got a reservation (I was looking at all price ranges, small hotels/inns and mod to nice B&Bs). You will probably be able to find rooms in the larger towns/cities in the modern chain hotels, though. Actually, that's a guess, I'm just thinking they are not as full (ie, two Mercures in Aix, I believe, but they aren't really that large and are nicer than the Novotels or Ibis, etc which are bigger). It is not really easy at all to get around to see villages without a car. There are bus lines, but some do not even go to the villages (eg, I don't think Menerbes has a bus stop) and buses are few and far between. It sounds like you haven't been there before, so I suggest you revise your plans a bit--either stay in the larger cities and towns which are on train lines, or rent a car. There are many nice and wonderful things to see in Provence on train lines, just not quite as bucolic. I would recommend Avignon except your stay coincides with a major theatre festival so it's unlikely you'll get a room there. I would suggest perhaps Isle-sur-la-Sorgue or Aix or Arles to stay in, Carpentras in a pinch--all are on the train line and nice places to stay. Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is the smallest town (maybe 10K pop) but perhaps not as convenient a rail line. Well, Avignon would be the most convenient, although Aix is now on the TGV line so might work. From Avignon, you can take a bus to St Remy, I've done that. I am sorry to be so pessimistic, Sandy, but I think your current thoughts to just show up in Provence in midJuly with no reservations and no understanding of the transportation system is probably not a plan that will lead to the best vacation. An excellent site for planning is www.beyond.fr; I believe they do have a section on bus lines within that region, the only place I've found that info.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Capo

Glad you enjoyed your visit there, wil! We drove up to Uzes after visiting the Pont du Gard and found it to be a wonderful town, especially the beautiful central square, called (I think) the Place aux Herbes.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Mika

Paris will be empty, but the Provence is going to be difficult. Have you ever heard of the 14. of July? It is a big holiday in France and around that date everyboky goes for a holiday. By the way, although it is not in the Provence: Carcasonne has the best 14. of July celebration in the whole country. (Midi Pyrenées).

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Ladybug

Lots of useful suggestions on this thread for travel to the Provence area! But can anyone give me details on visiting Renoir's last home, Les Collettes, in Cagnes-sur-Mer? Have not been able to get any personal info from anyone so far, but some of you seem to be so familiar with the area that I hope you can help me (and others on this thread). Thanks very much!!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:27 PM
wil

Uzes, is in Southern France just 15 minutes away by car to Pont dt Gard. It;s a wonderful small town with a beautiful square that has a fantastic market that spills out of the square on Saturdays. Had a fantastic meal at La Fontaine, 3 course dinner for only 100 Ffr, which was really robust Provencial cooking. Requires reservations though. From my conversations with the B&B owner, July is really a popular month for Provence, so going without reservations is really not recommended. Have fun.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:33 AM
hans

Ladybug,

My wife and I spent the afternoon in Cagnes-sur-Mer in March. We visited the Renoir house and explored the old town. I enjoyed the old town but I thought the interior of the Renoir house was rather boring. I did enjoy strolling around the grounds of the house.

Some pics are posted at

http://community.webshots.com/user/zaepfels

go to cote d'azur part 1 for pics of Renoirs house and Cagnes sur Mer.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to email me.

Hans

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Capo

Ladybug, Haut Cagnes -- the old town that sits on a hill above Cagnes-sur-Mer -- is well worth a visit if you're in that area and you have the time.