I joined a photography workshop in Lyon and Provence, and subsequently traveled on my own to Avignon, Aix and day-toured the villages of the Luberon. I was carrying lots of gear (a camera, 3 lenses, my laptop, a tripod), and taking public transportation after the workshop was over, so needed to keep the overall trip somewhat less extensive than I would have liked. Given the lack of sleep experienced during the workshop, however, I was actually glad to come home and rest! Here's the report:
June 23 -- Arrived at my hotel in Lyon early evening, and took a stroll around. I’m always struck by the cultural differences between Los Angeles and just about anywhere in Europe.
June 24 - Today I wandered around Lyon taking photos, visited Musee des Beaux-Arts, Lyon, enjoyed a salad Lyonnaise, and later that evening, met up with my small photography workshop group. It turned out to be a fun group of 8 plus our instructor, a well-known pro and author of several best-selling books.
After meeting for drinks and then dinner, we set out for the river’s edge where we photographed the Notre Dame cathedral (Lyon) all lit up in evening. It was quite an experience, as prior to this, I had never before used a tripod. I bought one just 2 weeks before leaving for France. Fortunately, participants were willing to help me out with the nuances of the tripod, and two of them even lent me special filters for night photography.
We were out there until 11:30 pm (and were slated to meet the next morning at 6:30 am).
June 25 - This morning we photographed the same cathedral setting, only in early morning light (you will see the evening and morning shots in my gallery); next, we set off for across the bridge to old Lyon. Our instructor took us to some interesting architectural spots where he elaborated on composition and HDR technique (which I had already experimented with in previous months).
That afternoon, we drove to a Botanical gardens in Lyon to work on macro photography. I was extremely disappointed that I had left my macro lens at the hotel, but managed to get one or two decent shots with my telephoto lens.
That evening after dinner, we set out to photograph a large ornamental fountain with sculpture, in evening light. You will see the results in my photo album of Lyon:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 All @Email Password Reset Contact 1888:482:3831 Tec*h Supp0rt care 24by7
- 2 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 3 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 4 Traveling by car Munich to Soelden Austria
- 5 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 6 Paris November 2017
- 7 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 8 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 9 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 10 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 11 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 12 New Years in France
- 13 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 14 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 15 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 16 Rome - Naples - Paestum - Salerno - Ravello Trip Report
- 17 Hip Pocket Wifi
- 18 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 19 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 20 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 21 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 22 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 23 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 24 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 25 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
Back from Provence & Lyon - susan001's trip report with photos