Back from my solo trip to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One week, for me, not enough time. Weather was really warm (perhaps even to the 70's) Sunday through Tuesday (11/23, 24th & 25th), rained 1 day and then grew very cold.
I am a history buff, so found myself in The Cluny and the Musee du Moyen Age; Carnavalet, the Opera Garnier (oh my goodness what energy in that place!); the Louvre, Notre Dame (I LIKED the crypt exhibit).
Paris in general ... I didn't see anyone pee on the street. I did not see dog poop. I saw a dog poop but its owner, a young man, promptly picked it up in a lastic 'monoprix' bag and threw it out...so there!
Parisiens cool and abrupt? In my experience a bit cool at first, but if they saw me again, they were very warm and friendly. This happened twice, once in a chocolate shop, the lady was very abrupt with me and pretended not to understand me...as I was tired too, I gave her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she had had a hard day, but I got my tart and went on my way. I returned a couple of days later and she remembered me and asked how I had enjoyed it...was I haveing a good time in Paris and what could she get for me then?
At a restaurant I'll recommend, La Fumoir on Ad. Coligny, 1 block west of Rivoli, I was in for lunch and service was impeccable and the meal a delight but nothing specail.. I decided to dine there for Thanksgiving and the Maitre 'd remembered me and ushered me to a table, got me a verre du vin and some olives. As I was too early to order dinner, he returned with the menu and his suggestiions. VERY nice, very warm and I was very thankful!
Also, I moved out of my "studio" and got a room at the Relais Hotel du Louvre, 19, rue de Pretres St. Germainl'Auxerrois in the first. Beautiful! The staff was incredibly warm and friendly and could not have been more helpful. I had a single which was small but really comfortable. I peeked into one of suites, BIG and quite posh.
I am ashamed to say that the metros, apparently, (there is no excuse for this.. I now) scared me...so I walked EVERYWHERE. That said, I do now truly realize that Paris is not just Disneyland for adults with just museums and places to eat...its a living, breathing working city .. ethnically diverse and energetic. I think I'm glad I forced myself to walk...I saw more, learned more and really got the "feel"...
That said, one thing I should also have done but didn't is get a 2 day pass for the jump on jump off buses... that looked like fun.
So? I have to go back. I still haven't seen it all..next time I do stay in the 7th or 8th...
Someone wrote a thread about travelling alone "empowering" one. I really do think so.. really do! Paris is very user friendly...good for solo women.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:30 AM

Good for you!! Yep, empowered!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:33 AM
ira

Hi suzie,

Glad you had a good time and a mind-broadening trip.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:37 AM

SuzieC: Glad you had a wonderful experience. I've made two solo trips to Paris and also had a great time! Unlike you however I DID ride the metro and found it a great way to get around. Just be aware of the people around you on the platform and the trains and have nothing in your pockets. I kept my daypack in front of me and secured the zippers with safety pins just in case. Works like a charm along with a money belt! Start planning that return trip, it's never to early!!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:53 AM

Fantastick! I know what you mean about the Metro, I still cannot get myself on a NY subway by myself
With that choice, I would stay in the 7th.
Yes, it is empowering and you have only yourself to congratulate when you enjoy it!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:32 AM

I love reading these posts by women who go it alone. Sounds like a wonderful trip, SuzieC.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:19 AM

Suzie,

Thanks for the report! I am going to Spain in February by myself (my travel companions has to bail for various reasons).

I am excited by the idea of exploring by myself - so it's good to see that others enjoy it too!

Karen
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM

Congrats SuzieC - Paris is a wonderful, magical place and a great city to go solo.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM

SuzieC, I'm so glad you had a great time going it alone in Paris! I love traveling alone and Paris is one of my favorites!!!!

The hop on/hop off buses are fun, especially with the running commentary thru the chartreuse ear inserts. The best part was when we rounded a corner & got to see the Thinker over the wall at the Musee Rodin. My God! They have art, real art, out in the open!! I didn't get to see it up close that trip (was with a friend & she wouldn't let me do anything) but I was able to return by myself this year!

And I DID see someone peeing, not necessarily on the street, but rather in the corner, in the Marais, in broad daylight. It wasn't so much the sight but the smell.