Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Back from long weekend in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/back-from-long-weekend-in-paris-420268/)

TravelerGina Apr 8th, 2004 08:29 AM

Back from long weekend in Paris

Spent four days in Paris (a long week-end), and will give a brief synopsis of our trip. After reading the many wonderful trip reports on this board, I won't even attempt a full report, as I am not the prolific writer that so many of you Fodorites are.

We arrived on a Thursday morning and left the following Monday afternoon. Since we had been in Paris two years ago for a couple of days (part of a two week, three country whirlwind trip), we had already seen the Louvre, Notre Dame, D'Orsay, and the Eiffel Tower. Therefore, we spent our time exploring different neighborhoods and relaxing at cafes.

After arriving at the hotel and unpacking, we got some Euros from a nearby ATM and took the metro to Place des Vosges. Such a lovely park, and on this sunny day, filled with young boys kicking soccer balls, little tykes playing in the sandbox, and people sitting on the benches just enjoying the nice weather. Wandered around the area and stopped for a café crème at a cafe on Rue de Turenne. Took the metro to St. Michel and spent the rest of the day visiting the book stalls along the Seine and exploring Ile de Cite (flower shops and the park at the tip of the island).

Over the next three days, we took the funicular up to Sacre Coeur, walked to Place du Tertre to watch the artists at work, and then along Rue Lepic, stopping for a glass of wine at Les Deux Moulins (I think that was the name of it - where Amelie worked). We saw the "I Love You Wall" near the Abbesse metro stop, walked to the Arc de Triomphe, and strolled down the Champs d'Elysses to the Tuileries, where we watched the children pushing sailboats around the fountain with sticks. The joy they seem to get from such simple toys was delightful to see. We went to the show at the Moulin Rouge (for some reason, my travel partner has always wanted to go there; however, for me it was almost the same as the Jubilee show at Balley's in Vegas). Since we went to the late show, it was preceded by an Illuminations Tour by bus and a boat ride on the Seine.

We spent some time at St. Chapelle, mesmerized by the stained glass, and walked along the main street on Ile St. Louis, buying a few things at L'Occitane, some foie gras at a little shop who's name I've forgotten, and, of course, ice cream at Berthillon. We visited the Rodin Gardens, shopped on Rue Mouffetard on Sunday afternoon, and stopped to hear four young women playing chamber music at St. Etienne (what a beautiful church!), as well as attending the 5:30 organ concert at St. Eustache. We stumbled upon a couple of street markets that we really enjoyed; one on Rue Montorgueil and another off of St. Denis. We gawked at the beautiful dome in Galleries Lafayette and took pictures of the Eiffel Tower at sunset from the roof of the department store.

We're not big foodies, but I really enjoyed my first Croque Monsuer, nutella and banana crepe, peche kir, and confit de canard, as well as several wines including Sancerre, which has been mentioned (with reverence) many times on this board (very good too!). Of course, café crème, pain chocolate, and croissants were our morning staples.

We didn't buy a lot of souvenirs, but I did bring back a couple of scarves, a pretty olive dish, a couple of dish towels, hand cream and soaps, some French mustards and three tins of foie gras (no hassle from Customs either).

Weatherwise, it sprinkled for about 10 minutes one day. The rest of the time it was sunny but cool. In my opinion, a wonderful time of year to visit the City of Light!

The only down side of the trip was that I came down with the flu on Monday, and after pushing myself to traipse around Paris for part of the day, once we were on the plane, I slept most of the 8 hours back to Detroit. Needless to say, I wasn't back at my desk the following morning as planned!

Now I want to go back and spend more time in Provence, another area that we had just a few days in two years ago.

stormygirl Apr 8th, 2004 09:02 AM

TravelerGina I'll been doing a 4 day long weekend there next week! Thanks for a great report. Glad to hear you had no problems bringing your tins of fois gras back. I'm planning on getting a few too. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Did you use a shuttle from the airport or the Metro? I need to make my shuttle reservations I just remembered!

ira Apr 8th, 2004 09:04 AM

Hi Gina,

Thanks for sharing.

janeygirl Apr 8th, 2004 09:18 AM

Sounds like a perfect way to spend time in Paris. I'm going in June and this will be my fourth trip to Paris (once a year for the past four years). These are exactly the types of things I intend to do.

This year my plan is to do a little shopping at Galleries Lafayette (have not yet been to a big department store in Paris), see the Pantheon and Sacre Coeur, spend some time in Montmartre and perhaps Luxembourg Gardens. Other than that, my usual lounging in cafes, eating good French food and drinking good French wine.

melissa19 Apr 8th, 2004 09:24 AM

I'll be in Paris next weekend (16-20), too! Currently biding my time as most plans have been made. Except . . . what coat to bring! TravelerGina, can you tell me what the temps. were when you were there? I'm torn between my ugly beige raincoat, and a lovely red wool gabardine (w/ lining) coat. Obviously want to wear the red, but I'm afraid it might be too hot.

anotherjudy Apr 8th, 2004 09:30 AM

Thank you for your report. I will be there 15-19 Apr and plan to just wander and do some shopping (inspite of the terrible $).
Welcome home.
Judy

TravelerGina Apr 8th, 2004 10:08 AM

Melissa: It was generally in the mid 50's during the day and 40's at night. The fact that it was sunny made it seem warmer though. I took a light coat with a removable lining, and only used the lining when out at night since I layered with turtlenecks and flat knit sweaters.

Stormygirl: We made reservations with the Blue Van prior to leaving. The price was good (29 euros each way for the two of us), and they were prompt picking us up. The van wasn't the most luxurious, but it served the purpose. Have a great trip!

Janeygirl: It was so nice to just wander through the various neighborhoods of Paris without being on a schedule - just enjoy the fact that you're there and leave the detailed itineraries behind!

anotherjudy: We just put the terrible exchange rate out of our heads, since we didn't plan on doing a lot of pricy things anyway (exception: Moulin Rouge show). But, no matter the cost, some things, like Paris, are definitely worth it! Happy wandering!

TravelerGina Apr 8th, 2004 11:10 AM

I just noticed something! Stormygirl, Melissa and Judy, it appears that you'll all be in Paris at the same time. Seems like a perfect opportunity for a Fodors get-together over a glass of wine. If you decide to give it a try, have a glass for me!

anotherjudy Apr 8th, 2004 11:36 AM

I think that sounds like fun. The only time that I can't do it is Sunday morning to early afternoon. Doing a Segway tour then.
Melissa, Stormygirl?

_Linda_ Apr 8th, 2004 11:46 AM

How do you all do it? You only go for long weekends and how do you adjust to the timezone changes? It takes me about 2 days or more to get going and you all get there do things and then come back to home right to work! How amazing! Am I missing something?

Huitres Apr 8th, 2004 12:07 PM

The time zone adjustment is actually eacy to manage. The trick is jumping immediately into the time as you arrive. For instance, if you arrive in Paris at 1:00 pm, stay up and finish out the day there and go to bed at night with everyone else. I guarantee you will be right on track the next morning. Another thing that helps is to drink lots of water on the way over to Europe, it helps too! I repeat the same thing when I return to the States, I make myself stay up until bedtime, then wake up the regular time the next morning.

lizziepayne Apr 8th, 2004 12:36 PM

TravelerGina - thanks for the report. I'll continue the Fodor treks with a four-day weekend in Paris the week after StormyGirl, Melissa, and Judy. This is my first time to Paris, and gives me a good ideas for some of my time there.

I agree with Huitres on handling the time change . . . just jump into the time when you arrive. I did this in London (landing at 8:30 a.m.), went to bed a little earlier (9 - 10 p.m.) than at home, but after that was fine. The bigger challenge was actually when I got home, and started getting sleepy at 5 p.m. every afternoon for a week.

Leona Apr 8th, 2004 12:45 PM

Very nice report, Gina. I spent a long weekend in Paris last month and had a wonderful time too.

I booked the Paris Shuttle before I left. It was economical as I was traveling alone (23E each way); but if more than 1 is traveling, take a taxi. I had a 1/2 hour wait for the shuttle when I arrived.

Flyboy Apr 8th, 2004 12:52 PM

Huitres has it exactly right. We regularly go on long weekend trips like the TravelerGina describes. It's a great way to take advantage of cheap airfares and enjoy a few days in a wonderfully different, stimulating environment. Paris is my favorite place to do that and it has become so familiar now that it feels like a second home. It is not all that difficult to keep moving upon arrival when you are "wired" with anticipation for experience anyway -- and with a little regular practice, it becomes even easier. Someday, it would be nice to be able to swing having a fixed address there. Time will tell if that ever becomes a reality.

cigalechanta Apr 8th, 2004 12:58 PM

Thanks for a nice report and good news about the foie gras!
and welcome home

melissa19 Apr 8th, 2004 01:44 PM

Judy,
We're up for it! That's me and my husband, we're staying in the Marais. How about sometime on Saturday?

anotherjudy Apr 8th, 2004 03:06 PM

Melissa,
Great! I am travelling alone this time and staying in St. Germain des Pres. Saturday sounds good to me. Where? What time? I will be ready to speak English to somebody by then!
Judy
[email protected]

stormygirl Apr 8th, 2004 03:52 PM

I am visiting a friend who lives in Paris but we will be in the Marais on Sat. Let me know where you all plan to meet and I'll see if I can stop by for a toast also!!!

As far as the length of time in any great city I go for what I can get! I've spent as few as 3 days and as many as 10 days in Paris. And I fly from the West Coast! It's worth it to me. :)

MarcieLynn Apr 8th, 2004 04:05 PM

Linda -

You just make yourself do it. :D

If you really like to travel (and especially if a good deal comes up) you go no matter what the amount of time!

Last year, we stumbled upon a deal to Singapore for $250 r/t (we fly out of LAX) and couldn't resist. We had no plans to be going anywhere but Singapore Airlines was trying to get people back on the planes after the SARS scare a few month earlier. We could only stay 4 nights but it was SO well worth it.

Life is short. You MUST take advantage of opportunities that come your way. :)

Flyboy Apr 8th, 2004 04:25 PM

MarcieLynn, you are soooo right! So many people hold themselves back from so much for reasons that they don't even understand. Don't you just want to scream: "CHANGE YOUR LIFE NOW! GO FOR IT!! YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!"