Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back from London! Ask me!!!! Out of London trip and everything else!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 04:52 AM
Barbara

Well, Im back and went to Bath for my one-day trip and loved it . Oh,those roman baths... ask me anyone for advice! The pump room for lunch, (piano and all) the antiques shops, woow, better than London itself which I found over-crowded, over-priced, over-everything! Only good thing: the theatres, went 2 times! had a great time... Also the V&A museum, great temporary exhibitions! <BR>BARBARA

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 09:50 AM
Chuck

OK, Barbara, I'm happy to ask. We are going to London over Christmas but want a non-religious "touristy" type of experience. I know you can get around to everything by the tube and we are staying right across from the Lancaster tube station, but we have rented a car for the 24th to the 26th so we can have the option of driving around when much of London is closed down. Any suggestions for an itinerary for our trip would be most appreciated. We plan on going to the theater at least twice and I understand that Lion King, Saturday Night Fever, and Mamma Mia are supposed to be incredible. Any chance of us getting tix for any of them? We will be in London and environs for only 5 days, (23rd at 7AM when our plane arrives at Heathrow until the 28th at 10:30 AM when we fly back to the States.) So any advice you can give would be great. My kids are 20 and 22 but I still would like to have them experience high tea, though they don't think that's all that cool. Any suggestions for the best place? And what about the usual sights? Are they likely to be open? Your assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 09:53 AM
Lu B.

I saw Mamma Mia in September. It was an incredibly awesome show. The music (Abba music) is woven into the storyline. The show is fantastic; you will feel good when it is over...and wishing it wasn't over! At the Prince Edward Theatre in Soho.

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Alicia

Hi Barbara! <BR>Sounds like you had fun! I will be in Ireland for Christmas and a few weeks after that. What advice can you give for warm winter packing? <BR>Thanks, Alicia

Old Dec 11th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Patrick

Chuck: For high tea, go to Brown's Hotel --so much more Englishy, more spacious and comfortable seating, and less toursity than the usual Ritz -- and far better too. For theatre tickets, we usually have the best luck at the theatre day of performance -- especially for those highly popular shows. Be ready to pay cash for them, however, as sometimes they are returned seats and the theatre will only take cash. Avoid the ticket "deals" near Leicester Square (except for the half price booth right in the park at the south side -- however I doubt if the shows you mention will be available through them.) The other ticket booths offer "up to half off" tickets, and often you end up getting cheap seats at a price above their regular going price, but that is half-price of the full price good seats -- quite a racket.

Old Dec 12th, 1999, 12:27 AM
Wendy

Barbara, it sounds like you had a lousy time. What guide book did you use? <BR> <BR>I would like to echo the rip-off sentiment of the half-off ticket booths, I paid two pounds too much to see Les Miz, but it was totally worth it!

Old Dec 12th, 1999, 01:39 AM
Joanne

If you can get tickets for the Lion King then do go. I was in teh Uk three weeks ago and saw it then.Fantastic show, one of the most enjoyable that I have seen in London. I also enjoyed the exhibition Of the Princess of Wales evening gowns at Kensington Palace. Expensive but then so is everything in London. I spent a week in Wales and after picking up the car at Heathrow took the M4 down to Wales but detoured and went via Cirencester up through the Forest of Dean and then through Monmouth to Abergavenny. The scenery was awesome. Try to see all the touristy things and museums in London and then get out into the countryside as I feel that that is the nicest part of the UK. Enjoy your trip.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Jean

Hi Barbara and Joanne; Thank you Joanne - you hopefully answered a question I was battling to get answered - will be in London 3Jan and again on 16/17 Jan- after tour - Really want to see Princess of Wales Dresses - did I understand you correctly that they are on display at Kensington Palace. Also - which will be the best choice of market for me to go to in my limited time - as in Portobello Rd etc Thanks and Regards ...

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 04:50 PM
Dru

Barbara, how did you get to Bath? Was there anything you would have skipped there? Thanks!

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Tammy

Dru, <BR> <BR>Last April I took a day trip to Bath from London. We left Paddington Station at 9:45am and arrived at 11:15am. The evening train left Bath at 6:30pm and we arrived at Paddington Station at 8pm. We purchased the ticket a couple of days of ahead of time. I think we paid about 50 pounds for 2 tickets (???). <BR> <BR>Tammy

Old Dec 30th, 1999, 05:32 PM
Dru

Tammy, thanks for the info. That's probably what we'll do in May. Anything else about Bath you'd like to share?