Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Back from honeymoon - Santorini & Crete (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/back-from-honeymoon-santorini-and-crete-52999/)

Pam First Martin Sep 14th, 1999 11:02 AM

Back from honeymoon - Santorini & Crete

My husband and I just got back from Greece, Santorini and Crete. It was our honeymoon and I recommend it VERY HIGHLY. Ask away. . .

Lois Sep 14th, 1999 04:53 PM

Best of luck to you in your new marriage! We are booked on a cruise from Athens to Istanbul in December. During the winter months, our ship does Crete instead of Santorini. I haven't been able to find much written about Crete. How did you like it! Please tell me anything you can think of about it. Also, anything else you would like to share with me about Greece will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

debbie Sep 14th, 1999 07:36 PM

Pam- we did it too 17 years ago this October! Also spent time in Corfu. It was wonderful and the memories are still quite vivid for me. It's a great honeymoon location. Congratulations!!!

Lois Sep 15th, 1999 06:06 PM

Hi Pam - <BR>I'm sending this back to the top, just in case you didn't see my follow-up to your posting. Any info you care to share will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. <BR>

Pam First Martin Sep 17th, 1999 04:24 AM

Lois, <BR>Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Getting back into work after three weeks off is NOT easy! -OK, Crete is absolutely WONDERFUL. I must recommend that you got Chania. It is one of the most quaint little towns in Crete - not to mention that it is known as the most beautiful in all of Greece. We stayed at the Casa DelFino which was great. If you stay there, it is upscale and I urge you to ask for a QUEEN bed unless you like twin beds pushed together. We rented a car and made sure that we went to the Samaria Gorge (please excuse my spelling!) which is a day excursion and one of the longest gorges in all of Europe. There are absolutely beautiful beaches that you can get to by either car, bus or boat. Wherever you stay, make sure that you ask about the best places to visit during your stay. We relied on the receptionist. <BR>-We also stayed in Elunda - at the Elunda Beach Resort. This is total resort and not the best place to go if you really want to see Elunda, Ageos Nikolas (again, excuse my spelling) It is a beautiful place with everything at your fingertips (waterskiing, snorkeling, boat excursions, pool, tennis, mini-golf etc.) and VERY EXPENSIVE. We did have a car and explored Ageos Nikolas - very beautiful. Couldn't believe the prices - but it was our honeymon and will only be done ONCE! <BR>-I hope this helps somewhat. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. <BR>-As for Santorini, STUNNING, ROMANTIC, EXOTIC, BEAUTIFUL, basically a must go. We loved it and have not met one person that hasn't. <BR> <BR>

PA Sep 17th, 1999 08:05 AM

Lois - thought I'd add to Pam's Crete suggestions the museum in Heraklion and the Palace of the Minotaur. I would guess your cruise ship will have excursions to both. The palace in particular is amazing, especially if you ever learned about Greek myths in school.

Lois Sep 17th, 1999 06:17 PM

Hi Pam! <BR>Can't thank you enough for the wonderful information . . . that was very informative and fun to read. We're so happy to hear that Crete is wonderful . . didn't have a clue what to expect. Really sorry we are going to miss Santorini. You helped a lot. The sad part is that we will only be in each port for one day, so we'll just try to sqeeze in as much as we can. How nice that you were able to stay there! Also, we're going in December, so don't think we'll have the opportunity for any beach activities! Thanks again for your help and, again, Congratulations! <BR> <BR>Also, to PA -- thanks for your advice, our ship will be docking in Heraklion. Your suggestions sound good, as well. <BR>L

bob Sep 23rd, 1999 04:30 PM

<BR>you didn't mention where you satyed in Santorini. please advise and do they take credit cards

Pam Sep 29th, 1999 10:36 AM

I stayed at the Canaves Hotel in Oia. It was superb! I wish I could find the phone number. As soon as I find it, I will post the number. See my description under Santorini hotels. <BR>best of luck!

Pam Sep 29th, 1999 10:38 AM

Sorry, yes, they do take credit cards - Visa & American Express.