Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back from Amsterdam and Bruges (Brugge) with Hotel Recommendations

Jan 7th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Nicole

I know it is sometimes a time-consuming process researching nice hotels in Europe, so I thought I would provide feedback on the hotels we stayed at for our honeymoon in August 2001 (Bruges and Amsterdam). I hope the info is helpful to someone.

In Bruges, Belgium, we stayed at the Die Swaene Hotel (www.dieswaene-hotel.com). We spent approximately $170/night (this was a splurge for us because it was our honeymoon). If it is in your budget, this is a very nice hotel...nicely furnished, clean, and comfortable. We did not get a great view, however. The restaurant is pricey, but out-of-this-world delicious (one dinner in the restaurant was required with our stay). The location of the hotel was excellent - in walking distance to everything.

In Amsterdam, we stayed at the Canal House Hotel (www.canalhouse.nl), after reading many recommendations for it on this board. We spent about $160 per night, but we had one of the most expensive rooms...there are cheaper rooms available. Our room was very clean, full of antiques, very nice bathroom, and we had a great top floor view of the canal. This hotel is in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Amsterdam, on the Keizersgracht canal. Great location...just a few blocks from the Westerkirk, Ann Frank museum, and restaurants. We found the neighborhood picturesque and peaceful. We highly recommend this hotel.

Jan 7th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Patrick

Nicole, actually you may have lucked out at Die Swaene by not getting a canal front room. We were all ready to book there this summer when a friend told us they actually moved out of that hotel after the first night, because at about 7 in the morning the canal boat tours started and every ten minutes there was a loudspeaker from one blaring into their room. That happened all day. Of course, that might not be a problem this time of year, but in the summer when there are thousands of those tour boats. . . .

Jan 10th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Anna

How did you travel from brugge to amsterdam? How long did it take?
How much did it cost?
We have 5 nights for both cities.
Should we stay at one and day trip?
Thanks

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Nicole

Anna,
We traveled from Bruges to Amsterdam via train. I think it took approximately 4 hours, with a stop to change trains in Brussels. I don't remember how much the tickets cost -- I have a vague memory that it came to approx. $60 for two tickets (1st class), but my memory could be wrong.

We were in Bruges for 3 days, which we felt was sufficient as it is a small place. If you are there for 5 days, I suggest taking advantage of the time to make some day trips to nearby towns. There are many towns in Belgium that you can by train to within an hour's time from Bruges...maybe some other Fodorites will have suggestions.

Five days in Amsterdam will be a perfect amount of time in my opinion. We were there for four days, and probably could have used an extra day to see more.

Jan 11th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Anna

I think that at this point we may just stay in Amsterdam.
Do you have any hotl recomendations?
This board is hot for Canal House,
do you think that we can negotiate our rate? (End of February)
Thanks again,
Anna

Jan 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Cass

Try the Hotel Brouwer on the Singel canal. Try soon as it's always heavily booked way in advance.