Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back from 5-Day Trip to London: any questions?

Nov 16th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Adele

Message: Returned on Monday night from a quick 5 day trip to London. Have finally gotten back into normal sleep patterns and got my pix developed. We had pretty good weather and got in a lot of sightseeing and running around and good eating. Would be happy to answer any questions or share our experiences.

Nov 16th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Judy

Hello Adele, did you wear your LL Bean travel dress? I am glad you had a good time wth decent weather. Where did you stay? Any good restaurants? And did you see any plays? Did you do day trips out of London? I am going in Feb. for a week again, and can not wait...

Nov 16th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Carey

Dear Adele,

I was thinking about doing a similar trip.....leave on a thursday night return on a Monday night.....was it worth the trip with such little time? Was it hard to get over jet-lag? Did you feel the airfare was worth spending, for such a short amount of time? Thanks! Carey

Nov 16th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Adele

No, I didn't wear the LLBean dress! I thought it might have been too cool. But I did take a Talbot's jumper(black) made out of similar material and wore it with a couple of different tops.

We were fortunate enough to be able to stay in a friend's flat in Battersea, just a short walk from King's Rd. in Chelsea. As for restaurants, we went to two local places in Battersea: Ransome's Dock and Metrogusto. Both were very good, and had interesting wine lists. We also ate late one night at Mandarin Kitchen, on Queensway in Bayswater and had fabulous seafood and Peking Duck. Our last dinner was at Tamarind, and upscale Indian restaurant in Mayfair that serves excellent food and has a great atmosphere.

Two lunches were noteworthy -- a middle eastern feast at a Persian restaurant just off Edgware Rd, Patogh. Cheap and delicious. Our last lunch was at Brasserie St. Quentin on Brompton road in Kensington and we had a leisurely and romantic French lunch, complete with a bottle of Beaujolais. Not inexpensive, but a wonderful way to end our trip.

As for sightseeing, we went to two small museums that turned out to be gems: Sir John Soane's museum and Courtauld Gallery. Sir John Soane was an architect who amassed an impressive and eclectic collection during his lifetime and built his home to suit it. Seeing William Hogarth's paintings "The Election" was enlightening, given our situation here at home post November 7th.

The Courtauld has a wonderful collection of Impressionist paintings, including the famous Renoir "Barmaid at the Folies-Bergere (sp?)" and many. many Cezannes.

We saw the play "An Inspector Calls" and were less than impressed. It was a Friday night and hard to get tickets to any of the hot shows. I ought not to have listened to my husband and booked seats for Mamma Mia or The Lion King ages ago.

We left Boston Wednesday evening at 6:50 and arrived at Heathrow 6:20 am. The first day is a bear to get through, but we managed to get by with just a rest in the late afternoon. (Gee, the delicious lunch at Harrod's downstairs' Tapas restaurant must have revived us). We returned on the 6:00 pm flight on Monday, and taking the evening flight worked out beautifully. We were home by 10:30 and went to bed at the usual time and felt pretty darn good in the morning.

As for ticket price, I think it was $420 each, all told. The winter fares are usually down to $248 RT, but then taxes bring the total up to $335. I definitely think it's worth it, though I must admit with the dollar so strong elsewhere in Europe, I'd think seriously about a long weekend in Paris!

Nov 16th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Beth Anderson

Hey Adele, sounds like you had a great trip! Too bad you didn't like An Inspector Calls, I actually thought it was pretty good. But, they change the actors periodically and when I was there in September I met a few of the actors - they said November was the change-off so I bet you saw them in their first few shows! They need some practice maybe...

Carey, depending on where you live (east v. West Coast), 5 days is a nice little trip - I've done it a few times in the winter when you get those insane 300 dollar fares, taxes included (Icelandair always seems to do this).

You might want to make it a Tuesday return though, because the day you return is really only a half day, more or less. If you came back on Monday you'd only have F-SA-Su & Monday would be prepping to get back.

if you put your pix up online, let me know!

Beth

Nov 16th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Howard

Hello

Addressing the quesiton of whether a short trip to Europe is what it, I have gone to Europe a couple of times - once to York, England (flying to London), once to Luxembourg - for just 3 nights, and to me it was worth it. The weekends were a lot of fun, and I had no particular problem with jet lag. Although worth it, it did seem kind of extravagent.

Nov 16th, 2000, 12:59 PM
jill

am heading over from Boston day after xmas to ny...any suggestions other than what you mentioned?

Nov 17th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Adele

Although it didn't work out for us this trip, last time in London we went to Westminster Abbey mid-afternoon for a tour and then stayed for Evensong. We sat in the choir section and it was one of the most memorable times of the trip. The choir is wonderful and given the history of the Abbey, it was a magical combination.

One thing I wish we had seen is the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. Several posters on this board have recommended it and it sounds like a fun and different experience.

Don't miss out on the beautiful holiday decorations and window scenes at Harrod's and Harvey Nichols on Brompton Rd in Knightsbridge. It brings back memories of the fabulous Santa's workshop windows they displayed at Jordan Marsh Co. in downtown Boston when I was little.