Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back from 2 weeks in Italy - Any questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 1998, 11:08 AM
Lori Whitmore

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Italy that covered Rome, Florence, Stresa, Venice, Assisi, Sorrento and Isle of Capri. Would be happy to answer questions about our lodging, food, experiences.

Old May 7th, 1998, 12:27 PM
Jodi

I have a million questions about Florence! Where did you stay in Florence? Are you glad you stayed there? How were your traveling around? Train, bus, rental car? What area of Florence did you stay in? Did you book your hotel beforehand or can you find vacancies on the spot? (I'm going in June)Do you have a favourite place to eat in Florence? Any little tips would be greatly appreciated!

Old May 7th, 1998, 01:02 PM
Carl Fields

We are going to Florence and Rome in June. Do you know anything about ATRDECO Hotel or Hotel Valadier in Rome? We are also interested in any good moderate priced restaurants in Florence or Rome. What is the best way to get around Rome to see the sights? I would appreciate any other comments you think might help.

Old May 7th, 1998, 02:18 PM
Sue

My husband and I are going on a tour that includes Sorrento & Capri. We have "free" time in both places. Am interested in what you can do for "nightlife" in Capri and Sorrento. What did you especiallly like in both these locations? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Old May 7th, 1998, 04:02 PM
angelo

we are going to venice ,late june or early july.where did you stay? good? price range? would you stay there again? how about resaruants & sights ? any suggestions most helpful.

Old May 7th, 1998, 04:12 PM
Wes Fowler

Consider the Hotel Hermitage, 1 Vicola Marzio; telephone 287216; fax 212208. The hotel is within 100 feet of the Ponte Vecchio on the Duomo side of the bridge and perhaps 250 feet of the Uffiizi galleries. Double room with bath and breakfast will be around $125-$150. The hotel has some of the best views of the city from the sixth floor terrace: Ponte Vecchio, Duomo, the Arno and the Palazzo della Signoria.

Staff of young women from all over Europe can direct you to good dining. We were directed to a restaurant in one of the streets of Via del Parione (Via del Purgatorio, perhaps) and had a superb meal.

In 1995 the Sunday travel section of the New York Times said "Given its location, the efficient, helpful staff and its overall charm, the Hermitage may be one of Florence's best buys". Based on our experience, we'd agree.

Old May 7th, 1998, 04:22 PM
Michele

To Jody - Book NOW! We also are going in June and we think everyone else has the same idea! For months we researched places to stay and read postings in this wonderful site. Last week we began telephoning all of the places on our list to hear "mi dispiace, sono completo" (sorry, we're booked solid). Even places that weren't on our list were called and we heard the same line. I finally was able to book a hotel in Venice (Hotel Paganelli)for (June 23-24)yesterday, and today booked Hotel Splendor in Florence for (June 25-27). Believe me, when I tell you that we had to settle for these choices. At 2am this morning I will start the process again to reserve a hotel in Rome. This will be trickier because I first need to reserve an overnight trip from Rome to Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri. LORI, any hints??? I was thinking of calling American Express at Piazza di Spagna and reserve one with them before booking the hotel in Rome. As for the hotel in Rome I was contemplating Hotel Forte on Via Marghutta, near the Spanish Steps. Any one ever stay there?

Old May 7th, 1998, 04:27 PM
Michele

If you're planning for Florence on June 25-27, save yourself an overseas phone call because the Hermitage is full. Apparently this is the week and weekend of the Piti Uomo Show which is a huge fashion show. Good luck!

Old May 7th, 1998, 07:12 PM
Dayle

We stayed at Albergo Pagganelli in Venice 2 years ago in March and found it charming. A little creaky, but we assumed everything in Venice must be. It was quiet enough at that time and the location was just fine. The others in our group were pleased also. Hope you will be too. Have a great time!

Old May 8th, 1998, 07:23 AM
Lori Whitmore

To answer Carl for Florence and Rome. I am not familiar with the hotels you mentioned. We stayed 3 nights at the Villa Pamphili Hotel which was a little way out of the city but had a very convenient shuttle bus to the main city center. Much quieter than staying in the city. As for restaurants in Florence and Rome, we were always happy with the trattorias that we just stumbled upon. Food was wonderful, reasonably priced. They will never bring you a bill until you ask "Il conto, per favore".

We walked around Rome for almost everything. We also did a half day organized tour which covered things like the Forum, Coliseum and Janiculum Hill.

I always felt very safe in Rome, (except crossing the street!) and it was a very lovely city to visit. Florence was so filled with tourists, it detracted from the enjoyment of the city. I'll answer other messages via e-mail since it is quicker than this site.

Old May 9th, 1998, 06:29 AM
AlisonJJ

We will be in Venice for 3 days with our 2 teenagers before leaving for a cruise. Tell us what to see! We speak no Italian, this is our first trip to Italy.

Old May 9th, 1998, 07:59 AM
Bob Planidin

My wife and I are taking our 20th in Italy. Our trip will take us from Rome May 20/21, Then on to Milan via trainMay 22/23, Florence May 24/25, We'd like to tour the wine region for a few days, Pisa May 28/29, then back to Rome May 31 to June 2 via Florence by train again. I have several concerns/questions that I would like to ask. I keep hearing about gypsey's and would like to get some advise in handling these people. Given the dates indicated above, are we trying to take in too much. Does any one have an e-mail address for hotels in Florence? Has anyone got any recommendations on tour the wine region around Tuscany?

Old May 11th, 1998, 12:04 PM
Lori Whitmore

I'm not a good one to ask about Venice. We did not like it very much. It was 3 times more expensive than anywhere else in Italy, (food is outrageous). It is overrun with tourists. Mosquitos were bad and it was very humid already in April. Staff at our hotel was rude (only place in Italy that happened). They were draining and doing work on several canals and the smell was overwhelming after dredging. Only good things to say about Venice are that the risotto is excellent and it is an absolutely unique city.

Old May 12th, 1998, 08:43 AM
Sandra

I'm going with a group in two weeks.
How did you get from city to city? I am worried about how we will get from the train stations to our hotels and to the airport in Milan with all our bags.
How was Assisi? I've been there before but that was before the earthquakes.
Any construction/restorations or unexpected closings you can tell me about?
Thanks.
Sandra

Old May 12th, 1998, 06:43 PM
Dayle

If you are going on a group tour, I would assume baggage handling will be taken care of for you. If you are going with a small group on your own and are worried about handling your luggage, you are probably taking way too much! I am surprised about all the negative comments about Venice, obviously we had very different experiences! Sound to me like March is the time to go! Given what I saw of the small area, narrow walkways, etc., I wouldn't dream of going in the summer!

Old May 13th, 1998, 01:39 AM
Milly

Hi,
I'm going to Rome and Naples in the end of May. But I have a problem about hotel reservation. I found several hotels on Internet, and I send mail to ask for rooms. They gave me a reply asking me to send them my credit card number to reconfirm my reservation.
I'd like to know if it's safe to do so. I also ask travel agency to do it for me, then I can get vouchers here. But the price is much more higher. What should I do? Please help me.

Old May 13th, 1998, 04:49 AM
Tom

Lori, I wouldn't say that Venice is 3x as expensive - in general. Also, the dredged canals you refered to were few and far between, and well off the path most tourists take.
Milly, if you feel uncomfortable with this common practice, send your credit card number thru the mail to the hotel.

Old May 13th, 1998, 04:50 AM
Tom

Lori, I wouldn't say that Venice is 3x as expensive - in general. Also, the dredged canals you refered to were few and far between, and well off the path most tourists take.
Milly, if you feel uncomfortable with this common practice, send your credit card number thru the mail to the hotel.

Old May 13th, 1998, 10:56 AM
Lori Whitmore

I found the food prices in Venice to be ridiculous. A 3 course lunch near the Rialto bridge would have cost about $100.oo for the 2 of us. We ate 3 and 4 course Dinners with wine in other parts of Italy for $30-$40 for 2 that were excellent. We also noted the prices for souvenir items we had already bought in other places, and Venice was way out of line. And while the $250.00 a night hotel was not out of line price wise with the price of hotels in other places, it was an absolute dump, while other city hotels were generally quite good at that price. Even our tour guide suggested not buying anything in Venice since we could find the same items elsewhere for much less money.

Old May 15th, 1998, 02:17 PM
Dick

Did you get to Assisi and what is it like? Does Eurial connect there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -