Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Back from 17day trip to Edinburgh (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/back-from-17day-trip-to-edinburgh-100335/)

Barbara Jan 14th, 2001 09:32 AM

Back from 17day trip to Edinburgh

Returned to sunny San Diego on January 2 after 17 days in Edinburgh, primarily to spend the holidays with family. I had my three children with me and we stayed at the Carlton hotel. Having grown up in Edinburgh, I remember when most of the hotel was still Patrick Thompson's department store! It's quite nice now, though, and in the middle of a huge refurbishment. When complete (supposedly by April), this will be one of the best hotels in the city. The staff were extemely friendly and helpful. As my kids had not been to Edinburgh before, we did all the usual tourist things. Many of my favorites are not open during the winter, so now I have to take them all back in the summer! I was thrilled to experience many of Edinburgh's great restaurants. Quite a change from the last time I was there, only eight years ago. We went on trips to Hadrian's Wall and St. Andrew's. The weather was cold! It snowed on Christmas day, which was perfect for my Southern California kids! Then it was really cold until Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) when it started to thaw. The fireworks on Hogmanay were fabulous. They had them on seven hills which surround the city, so that wherever you were in the city you could see at least one display. We were on the North Bridge, just down the street from our hotel, along with hundreds of other people, and we saw three displays - the Castle (which was the best), Calton Hill and Arthur's Seat. My older son went down to the street party on Princes Street where there were many different bands to listen to and thousands of people. <BR>I'm happy to answer any questions or be of help to anyone else.

Judy Jan 14th, 2001 11:31 AM

Hi Barbara, welcome back! Are YOU glad to be back? What are some of the restaurants you tried? We are going to Edinburgh at Festival time, and the city should be hopping! Is there a DeNiro's restaurant there? I can not wait to go! Thanks, Judy :-)

Wilma Jan 14th, 2001 01:16 PM

Judy, <BR>Sorry but there is not a DeNiro's in Edinburgh. Many good restaurants however <BR>Hope you enjoy the Festival.

Barbara Jan 14th, 2001 03:51 PM

Judy <BR>Yes, I'm glad to be back, even though it rained here last week! We tried the following restaurants: Martin's; The Tower; the Dome; the Atrium; Est!Est!Est! and Le Sept. Without a doubt, I liked Martin's best. The food is wonderful, the wine list excellent and Martin and his wife will make you feel as though you are truly a guest in their home. The Tower is very modern, the food was good, the service was excellent, you should visit for the fabulous view of the castle and the experience of riding in their elevator, which talks! The Atrium is my next favorite. Wonderful food, fabulous service, great wines, also modern. My sons and I loved Est!Est!Est! Casual, very fun, very hip, Italian food. Don't miss the garlic pizza they serve as a appetizer. I hosted a dinner for my mother's birthday there. It was great fun, but the following day was rough! Our least favorite, and I would not go back, was the Dome. It still looks like a bank and might be OK just for a drink so you can see the ceiling, but does not have a pleasant dinner atmosphere and I think the food is just OK, although the service was good. We had lunch at Le Sept after spending all morning at the Castle. The food was delicious with huge portions and was quite inexpensive. The service was slow, but it's a very different little place that is probably worth a visit. I wanted to get reservations at the Witchery, but when I called from home before going over there, they were very unhelpful and by the time we got there, they were completely booked. Also had lunch in a bar in George Street called All Bar One (I think!) It's on the corner of George Street and Hanover Street. Very nice lunch stuff, but got very smoky which I hate! Nearly forgot the Restaurant at the Bonham. Great food, good prices, not much ambiance, good service. My brother goes to Brown's in George Street, next door to Est!Est!Est! often - I just ran out of time! <BR>The city will certainly be hopping during the festival, so have a great time! Don't miss the Tattoo on the Castle esplanade. Try to go to the later show, so it will get dark during the show (remember, it's light till late there in the summer). <BR>

Judy Jan 14th, 2001 04:11 PM

Thanks for the restaurant recs. I already have my tickets in my hot, little hands for the Tattoo. Great seats! East stand, B section! They came last week! Friday Aug. 10 9:00pm.... We are staying at the Tailor Hall Hotel, have you heard of it? Supposed to be a nice place(I hope). I will have to check the Festival site for more info. I do appreciate your input! Thanks, Judy

Barbara Jan 14th, 2001 06:23 PM

Have heard the name of your hotel, but know nothing about it, sorry. Let me know if there's anything else I might be able to help you with. Have a great time!