Search

Where to eat well in Berlin/What to do over New Year in Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to eat well in Berlin/What to do over New Year in Dusseldorf

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations of places to eat in Berlin. I quite like places with clean, fresh-tasting food (a little sick of traditional German fare since I have already spent time gorging on roast pork and wursts in Bavaria) that are reasonably priced. I'm travelling on slightly more than a student's budget, although I must say that I am willing to splurge a little on fine dining once in a while (by splurge I refer to meals not more expensive than 35 per person). Staying near wittenbergplatz, looking for meals that will be hard to forget!

Also, I'm struggling to find information on events in Dusseldorf during the turn of the New Year. If anyone has any suggestions on things I could do, that will be greatly appreciated as well (really a nice long dinner may just do it I think)

With Much Thanks,
Rosen
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM

Rosen...I know just what you mean..why not take a shot at an Italisn resto, on Fasenenstrasse, just off Ku'Damm.
(Across from the Hotel Kempinski). We discovered it a few years ago and enjoyed the food. Their house specialty is a cognac-laced pasta with shaved truffles in a Parmesan-round bowl, en flambe'. With the euro at 1.30 it shoud be reasonable enough. Comfortable atmosphere.

If not Italian, you might like another place in the opposite direction on the corner of Fasenenstrasse and Kastner, Otental's Restaurant. The food is not as heavy as typical German, and they even can offer you some well prepared salads and fresh baked delcious breads
stu
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM

I generally ask my hotel to recommend a place. That's been a successful strategy for me.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Oh I've done that (asked the concierge for recommendations) many times in the past, and received mixed results. I tend to find that much of the advice they give is biased because of deals that some make with restaurants to bring clients to them, and I really dislike being plazed like that.

Anyway, thanks tower. Tried to google for Otental's but didn't receive any results. Could you have spelt it wrongly?

Rosen
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 02:05 AM

chowhound.chow.com/topics/361187
Great threads on this try Monsieur Vuongs awesome
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 02:06 AM

http://www.berlin-life.com/eat/resta...Monsieur_Vuong
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Rosen..yes ..spelled Ottenthal's...my error

http://www.ottenthal.de
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM

it might be too late to answer this question, but still people find this page in Google, so it could be useful for somebody.
So, going by my personal experience you can have a nice meal in a SchnitzelHaus in Charlottenburg, Berlin (near Ku'damm, in the center). Everything very German, cosy and tasty, wonderful meat and veggies. The website is www.schnitzelhausberlin.de if i use this german letters right
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM

aarh, i forget: they have english website too: www.schnitzelhausberlin.com in english!