COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Babymoon in May: Spain vs. Italy?

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Babymoon in May: Spain vs. Italy?

The headline says it all. We're a gay/queer (LGBTQ for anyone searching for that keyword!) couple looking to take our babymoon in late May or possibly early June and narrowed it down to Spain and Italy. We want to be someplace where we don't have to hide holding hands, where we can relax, see beautiful buildings and nature and eat well and relax. We also want to keep the trip affordable.

We're also maybe interested in renting a car and meandering about in the countryside. We're New Yorkers and don't really want to spend lots of time in a big city.

Greece had previously been on our list but given that it won't be beach weather, a friend talked us out of going to one of the islands.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Not sure why you think May in Greece won't be beach weather. The water will be colder than August but the heat will be less extreme.

Southern Spain would tend to be cheaper than similar Italian stops.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:11 PM

With the corona virus spreading in northern Italy, I'd go to Spain.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 11:30 PM

There are still places where holding of hands is considered odd. If you want to avoid stress. Then Barcelona, Madrid, Bilboa, Santander are fine. Equally Milan, Turin, Venice, Verona, Monopoli in Puglia and surrounding towns are great.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 03:55 AM

I travel often with my gay friends but they aren't very into PDA in public. No one has ever said anything weird to them in all our travels. Spain, Canary Islands, Crete would be warm. Just watch reports for the coronavirus with one of you being pregnant.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 05:31 AM

You also tagged Greece but didn’t mention it in your post. Ibiza in Spain and Mykonos in Greece are places you should look into.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:31 AM

Since one of you is pregnant perhaps you should hold off on booking anything until you see how the Corvid-19 (Corona virus) situation develops. Today there are new cases in Austria, Croatia and Switzerland in addition to those in Italy and in Tenerife.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

What kind of weather would Greek islands offer the last week of May or first week of June? I don't know if the 70s for example feels like beach weather there ... in NYC it needs to be in the 80s to really be warm enough. Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Read this after you posted and I absolutely agree. thank you.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:45 AM

By the way, whoever told you that late May isn’t beach weather in Greece is completely wrong. That’s one of the best times to be there, in fact! Early May is sometimes cool, but by the end of the month weather is settling down and temperatures in the 70s and sometimes 80s.
https://www.holiday-weather.com/mykonos/averages/may/
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:48 AM

Which island?

Climatic Data by Month,HNMS, Hellenic National Meteorological Service

Obviously weather depends on your luck
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:02 AM

We’ve been cross-posting. Most people on this board who are regular visitors to Greece favour late May and the first half of June, or in September. The weather is warm but not oppressively hot, and the islands aren’t as crowded as July and August. Partygoers obviously prefer July and August.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by sarahjenny View Post
see beautiful buildings and nature and eat well and relax. We also want to keep the trip affordable.

We're also maybe interested in renting a car and meandering about in the countryside. We're New Yorkers and don't really want to spend lots of time in a big city.

Greece had previously been on our list but given that it won't be beach weather, a friend talked us out of going to one of the islands.
New York as a big city is NOT same as Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, etc. as big cities. European big cities are where see a lot of BEUTIFUL ancient, medieval, and Baroque buildings. Would you find, in New York, narrow winding streets meandering through medieval buildings opening up to one flood lit fountain after another with trattorias surrounding Piazzas?

Spain and Greece, as long as you avoid the caldera view accommodations in Santorini, are generally very affordable. Italy offer wider range of accommodations, so you have to look.

I was in Crete in mid-May. While the ocean was not as warm as in August, it was definitely a swimming weather with people already populating beaches. It was already so hot that even though we went to Knossos at the opening time in the morning, by the time we finished our visit, we were guzzling bottles of water.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 03:19 AM

Have you considered malta btw? https://www.theguardian.com/malta-fo...ve-destination which is an advertorial it's true but it may help you.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick View Post
Not sure why you think May in Greece won't be beach weather. The water will be colder than August but the heat will be less extreme.

Southern Spain would tend to be cheaper than similar Italian stops.
May is not beach weather anywhere in Greece.
The water is still cold.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 06:27 AM

I would not recommend Italy because of the coronavirus ... There are many recorded cases of this disease.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 07:05 AM

”May is not beach weather anywhere in Greece.
The water is still cold.”

Having been to the Greek Islands many times in May, and going to the beach nearly every day, I am surprised to learn it wasn’t beach weather. May is beach weather everywhere in Greece. The water is cold, that’s true, but the beaches are teeming with people sunbathing, and some will be swimming too. For obvious reasons late May is warmer than early May.

Last edited by Heimdall; Feb 28th, 2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
”May is not beach weather anywhere in Greece.
The water is still cold.”

Having been to the Greek Islands many times in May, and going to the beach nearly every day, I am surprised to learn it wasn’t beach weather. May is beach weather everywhere in Greece. The water is cold, that’s true, but the beaches are teeming with people sunbathing, and some will be swimming too. For obvious reasons late May is warmer than early May.
Sunbathing and swimming are too different things. While the weather is warm and the sun is out in May, the sea temperature is still not comfortable enough for swimming. It's a bit misleading to tell people May is beach weather.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Okay, loaker, I just looked up air and sea temperatures to compare southern Spain (Malaga) with Greece (Crete). Guess what? According to the Holiday Weather website average sea temperature for May in Crete is slightly warmer than in Malaga, and air temperatures are about the same.
https://www.holiday-weather.com/malaga/averages/may/
https://www.holiday-weather.com/crete/averages/may/
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Just shows that different people have different ideas. There are people swimming here near Rome this month. That's local not northern European tourists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO