Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Baby traveling with us to Ireland for 3 weeks

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is taking a trip to Ireland and we will have a car for 3 weeks. Our son is 17 months old and I'm wondering how easy travel will be with him. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM

if you've already booked your travel I'm not sure it matters how easy it will be.

Did you think abotu researching this info before you booked?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM

The Irish love wee ones and will make it as painless as possible. If you are staying in B&Bs they almost all have "cots" available.

Ignore snarky people.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Personally, the idea of keeping up with diapers (nappies) and laundry for three week in a damp climate is not how I would want to spend a vacation. This isn't critical of you for wanting something different but Ireland will still be there when your son is six and might actually get something out of it and it will be orders of magnitude easier for you and especially your wife.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM
BKP

It won't be easy. There, I said it.

BUT - it has the potential to be amazing! Children have a way of breaking down social barriers. You will probably talk and interact with more people just because you have your adorable little one with you. He or she will open doors that might otherwise be shut to just adults.

My son is 5 and we've been traveling internationally with him since he was just a few months old.

Tips for making it easier:
Slow down. Don't rush.
Avoid single night stops.
Rent an apartment or a cottage (self catering) if possible. It gives everyone more room and more options for eating.
Acclimate your son to longer car rides if you haven't already.
Don't try to pack everything you'll need for three weeks. The Irish have babies and will have baby supplies.
Does he watch movies? We always brought a laptop (and now our phone) to watch movies on the plane, in the morning while we're getting ready, at dinner if we're trying to linger, etc.
Make sure your carseat is legal in Ireland (and that it will fit).
If you bought him his own seat you should look into the CARES harness. It's a 5 point restraint system, like he has in his carseat, the works with the airplane's lap belts. It's the comfort and security of a carseat -- without the bulk.

Find out if he has a go-to tantrum stopping item. For us, it is ice cream. We've spent days in Paris and Rome, just walking the streets from one gelato stop to the next. It's not how we parent all the time, but on vacation it's nice to have some magic.

No, it won't be easy. But -- when is being a parent ever easy?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Our son will be 17 months while we travel Ireland for 3 weeks. He will be drinking whole milk and I was wondering what the easiest way will be (buy a cooler and store a half gallon or have some dry formula?). If anyone has a little one and has traveled could you give me some pointers on the food you bought and prepared for him/her?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Our son will be 17 months while we travel Ireland for 3 weeks. He will be drinking whole milk and I was wondering what the easiest way will be (buy a cooler and store a half gallon or have some dry formula?). If anyone has a little one and has traveled could you give me some pointers on the food you bought and prepared for him/her?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Would you consider self catering? My grandchildren have traveled often to Ireland and began at 12 mos. It was easy with a place of your own(also cheaper. You could base one week in each of three places and plan day trips have your own washer and drier..more room to spread out, etc. Suggest one week in Connemara, one week in Clare, another in Killarney!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Well presumably at 17 months he'll be eating a lot of baby/junior foods - not just milk. And you can get both anywhere during the day (except perhaps some small towns on a Sunday). I would buy a small cooler once you get there, always carry some milk and stock up on junior foods he likes (he may not like lamb for instance - but prefer chicek or beef) since he may not always want/be able to eat what you are. Also - always carry some snacks he likes - cheerios, raisins etc.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just inn case you need a translation"<i>Would you consider self catering? </i>" just means renting a vacation cottage. Nothing to do w/ 'catering'.

Your question is really unanswerable w/o knowing what sort of itinerary you have planned.

Food won't be an issue -- at all. Afterall, Irish have babies too

What will be a problem is if you intend to see most of Ireland in 3 weeks and are moving every night or two w/ long driving days.