Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   BA or Virgin??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ba-or-virgin-255100/)

Kimberly Sep 1st, 2002 11:42 PM

BA or Virgin???

Hi all --<BR><BR>I need to purchase my rt air ticket to London via SFO by tomorrow to keep some sort of peace of mind. I've found ok fares on Virgin ($544) and on BA ($624). There's about a $120 difference obviously and I'm wondering if you seasoned flyers (of which I am not) can sway me on which way to go. Is BA worth paying more to fly on? The Virgin plane is a 747 both ways -- will it still have in-seat entertainment? Pros and cons would be much appreciated and if neither will do, suggest suggest suggest away! Thanks!

xxx Sep 2nd, 2002 12:00 AM

The difference is service and what is provided is so minute that there is little question you go with the lower fare.<BR><BR>You can get a great flight on either, you can get a bad flight on either. That is the luck of the draw.<BR><BR>As a matter of fact, it was Virgin that pioneered the use of the individual video screens.<BR><BR>Food etc. is almost identical and why shouldn't it be...they come out of the same kitchens.<BR><BR>Oh yes, there is one difference. Virgin serves its foul tasting Virgin Cola and Virgin Diet Cola (in read and silverish cans of course) while BA serves the real thing.<BR><BR>Whether this is worth a $120 difference is up to you.

Karen Sep 2nd, 2002 12:58 AM

Take the Virgin flight!!! No way is BA worth $120 more than Virgin, in fact a lot of Brits would choose the Virgin flight even if it was more expensive than the BA one. Personally I found the food & service on Virgin a lot better than BA plus Virgin have backseat TV screens in *all* their planes, whereas with other airlines it seems to vary. If you check their website www.virginatlantic.com it should confirm about the TV screens.

spoon Sep 2nd, 2002 01:07 AM

Check the flight numbers as Virgin has a code share with Continental.<BR><BR>Service is better on either of these than BA. Virgin has the best looking stewardesses, which is always a factor in my book.

kirkbyblue Sep 2nd, 2002 01:18 AM

Hi, I'm British and believe BA is totally over rated. I would happily pay a $120 premium to travel Virgin so you've got yourself a great deal. Enjoy it.

nnn Sep 2nd, 2002 02:10 AM

I think it's worth paying more for BA. I flew Virgin once and they made us wait 8 hours while they were fixing the wing. I guess this can happen with any airline, but I kinda don't trust them after that incident. It's a bit too gimmicky to be trusted.

marieb Sep 2nd, 2002 07:00 AM

Definitely Virgin! My experience has been nothing but pleasant. Seats are alittle bit small,but isn't everyone's in economy. The videoscreens are a huge plus...making the trip pass quickly! Friendly service as well! And after reading Richard Branson's(founder of Virgin) autobiography, and learning of BA's shady practices...I would pick Virgin everytime!

s Sep 2nd, 2002 07:19 AM

Virgin:)

xxx Sep 2nd, 2002 07:29 AM

Go Virgin, Baby. The best overseas airline I have flown.

Stephanie Sep 2nd, 2002 07:42 AM

VIRGIN! The service is so exceptional to BA, I will never fly BA again.

kate Sep 2nd, 2002 07:55 AM

the Virgin free packs (i.e. socks, eye masks etc.) are much better than the BA ones - BA Business backs are good - have never flown Business on Virgin.

Cedric Sep 2nd, 2002 08:10 AM

Grab the Virgin! No contest. I was always a British fan until my first flight on Virgin Air. I didn't want to like them just because of the crappy music their mother company sells, but I was pleasently surprised. I've flown them thrice since. Very friendly employees, clean planes, very nice airplane food and the "goodies" bag is a great little extra.

Bill Sep 2nd, 2002 08:16 AM

I would definitely take Virgin even if the fare were reversed. BA is a bad,bad,bad airline.

Math Sep 2nd, 2002 08:29 AM

In case it matters to you, the price difference is $80, NOT $120.<BR><BR>$624 - $544 = $80<BR><BR>

Mila Sep 2nd, 2002 08:48 AM

Fly Virgin! BA WAS a great airline until a few years ago-quality has gone way down. Very disappointed last year on our flight to London. Food was really nice years before; they even served snacks then. But that was then. <BR><BR>Never flew Virgin but should have if I had known better last year.

Mare Sep 2nd, 2002 09:19 AM

I've never flown Virgin, but the worst flight I've ever had was on British Airways. I know it's the luck of the draw, but I would still avoid them if I could.

Gregory Sep 2nd, 2002 09:42 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>I would also go with Virgin as the service in my opinion is beter than British airways. You can join Virgin Flying Club , earn miles on your flight and can use them for flights on Hawaian and America West amongst others.<BR><BR>Regards<BR>Gregory

MaisiePlage Sep 2nd, 2002 09:43 AM

Fly B.O.A.C.- They take more care of you.

x Sep 2nd, 2002 09:48 AM

One of my best flights ever was on BA. But I wouldn't pay an extra price for them over Virgin. <BR><BR>The individual video screens on Virgin are great, but the seat sizes are all so SMALL. Even my size 6 butt feels cramped in these seats.

Jean Sep 2nd, 2002 10:56 AM

Virgin has excellent service! We flew on them from London--and while there was a problem with a plane, and we had to leave a day later, Virgin went above & beyond the call of duty to make sure everyone had a good allowance for lunch, then ended up putting us all up in a beautiful hotel (the Rennaisance) for the night-giving us both dinner & breakfast. They won my alliance just by how nicely they handled an unfortunate experience!