B&Bs or guest houses in Switzerland - need recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for places to stay in Switzerland in July. I'm still working on an itinerary but probably 3 nights Interlaken, and 1 each in Bern, Lucerne and Zurich. We like B&Bs and small hotels - we especailly like that they cost less and don't need the amenities of large hotels. I'm having trouble finding anything but large expensive hotels on line. Yes, I know Switzerland is expensive but anyone have any suggestions.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hi isabel,

Sorry, I don't have any specific recommendations for you --

But try these two sites:

www.bnb.ch, an association of Swiss B&B owners. The site is in English, and you can search by area. The only drawback is that these places are usually out of town & so are inconvenient unless you have a car.

www.rooms.ch, a site with budget hotel rooms. It's also in English, and you can search by area/town. These places tend to be in town, so are more convenient.

Hope this helps!

s
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not familiar with the cities you are visiting but I know that some have their own websites you might check:

www.vevey.ch
www.montreux.ch

for example.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM
snorris

Isabel There is a great small hotel & B&B in Interlaken (beside each other) owned & run by the same family. 5 minute walk from the train station on a quiet street. Hotel Lotschberg email [email protected] (www.lotschberg.ch) & Guest House Suzi's B&B (same contact information as Hotel Lotschberg, above). Stayed there last summer & will be staying there again this May. Check it out & if you decide to stay there I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Hi, Isabel. You'll receive better rates if you can say in one place for three or more nights. If you're traveling by train, you can daytrip west to Bern and east toLucerne from Interlaken (or a smaller town on either lake Brienz or Thun). Check the sbb site for travel times. The scenery from the train is beautiful in either direction. So do consider extending your Berner Oberland stay. J.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:44 AM

An itinerary suggestion: If you really want to get into the Alps, don't stay in Interlaken. Interlaken is not the Alps. Take a short train ride south from Interlaken to any number of great towns that really are in the Alps. Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Gimmelwald, Wengen, and Grindlewald are a few.