Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   B&Bs near London/Bath for overnight trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/b-and-bs-near-london-bath-for-overnight-trip-434792/)

skatterfly May 23rd, 2004 07:11 PM

B&Bs near London/Bath for overnight trip?

When my husband was in his teens (mid 80s), his parents spent about 6 weeks driving all around the UK, and he stayed in some incredible B&Bs and working farms in the English countryside. Many of the places were literally places with just a room or two to let, and they were VERY inexpensive. I don't imagine they're that cheap any more. And my husband to this day RAVES about some of the breakfasts.

In September, we're going to be in London for 9 nights, and not renting a car. But I'm wondering if there are any charming B&Bs within a close (1-2 hour train ride) from London. We are going to go to Bath one day but weren't planning to stay overnight because the apartment will be paid for, but now I'm wondering if it's possible to recreate some of that experience my husband had in those charming B&Bs if only for 1 night during the trip.

So if you know of something in or near Bath, or even elsewhere if it's a charming town with old world feel, please tell me. When recommending, please know that I'm travelling also with my toddler, so it would have to be baby friendly. A working farm or a B&B with animals would be fun for her. And of course, all this within train access to London. So I don't know if it even exists. But I figured if it does someone here would probably know it!

Thanks!
Kat

twoflower May 23rd, 2004 08:33 PM

Last year I stayed at a farm B&B near Bath, a place called Corson (or similar). Only 10-15 minutes drive west (slightly south-west actually) from Bath, and much cheaper than B&B prices in Bath itself. Very friendly people, nice rooms, quiet location.

twoflower May 23rd, 2004 08:47 PM

just checked www.streetmap.co.uk and the place is Corston, west (not SW) of Bath. From Bath take A36 toward Bristol, and where main Bristol road veers right to become the A4, go left instead onto the A39. The farmhouse B&B I spoke of is off-road on left, from memory only 200m or so from corner - it's easy to overshoot it.

skatterfly May 24th, 2004 06:56 AM

Thanks. But perhaps I should be more clear... I need something close to a train station. We won't have a car. Any other suggestions?

~kat

patg May 24th, 2004 10:03 AM

Kat -
How could an inexpensive farm B and B be near a train station? It doesn't make sense. You'll have to figure in a taxi ride or car rental.

Grayci May 24th, 2004 12:48 PM

We stayed at a charming B&B within walking distance of the train station in Bath, but I am drawing a blank on the name. I would suggest checking the smoothhound.uk site -- it listed quite a few B&Bs around the area.

skatterfly May 24th, 2004 02:36 PM

Patg... I have stayed in several agritourismos in Italy along the train line. Was hoping to find something similar in England. I don't mind a taxi ride to the B&B, or a bus from a train station, but we're not going to rent a car. Just not feasible this trip.

Then again, it wouldn't HAVE to be a working farm if it was a charming B&B in a rural-ish but quaint village. I'm not at all familiar with the trains in England, but it seems to me there are probably villages (hoping there are, at least) on the trainline that also have B&Bs where we could spend a night away from the hussle & bustle of London.

Grayci... thanks for the reminder about smoothhound. We used that to find places in Windsor. I'll check it out.

~kat

obxgirl May 24th, 2004 02:49 PM

You have two things not working in your favor: no car and a very young child. You've just said you're willing to do taxi's if needed but keep in mind they can be a bit quirky the farther into the countryside you go. Secondly, lots of B&B's which welcome children still have age restrictions, often 5 years and above. Check before you book.

Sorry to be discouraging. If you're still interested, I'd look in the vicinity of Chippenham which is very close to Bath. Chippenham is a train stop. LOTS of places in this area (tho still requiring a taxi). We've stayed at a working farm near Corsham a couple of years ago (Pickwick Lodge Farm) which was a wonderful experience but I think they preferred children over age 8. You could ask for an exception. Can't hurt to ask.

When our child was a toddler we normally opted for self catering which I realize is not a choice for you this trip. Our next preference was a more upscale inn or B&B with a restaurant. After she went to sleep we'd hook up the baby monitor and head downstairs for a relaxing dinner.

Good luck.

skatterfly May 24th, 2004 08:24 PM

Obxgirl, thanks for those tips.

Yes, I realize that we're at a disadvantage in the smaller inns with a toddler. We're doing an apartment in London but thought it might be nice to try one place one night in the countryside.

Wow... I didn't realize my request was all that out of whack. What I was referring to is like you what you can find in Italy, like an "affite camere" (room to let) or a small agritourismo, in any number of villages throughout the countryside. My guess from the response here is maybe that same thing doesn't exist. Or if it does it's farther than an hour away from London?

Anyway, looks like I should probably repost the question with a more appropriate title... like "Baby friendly B&B in or near Bath". Wish this site had editing functionality. Grrr.

Thanks for the help.
Kat

janis May 24th, 2004 10:21 PM

Actually there are hundreds of "small agritourismo-type" B&Bs in the UK -- Your main problem is wanting to be on a rail line. Relatively few really small villages/farms are served by trains. So if you were willing to rent a car for your jaunt you would have MANY to choose from. But if you insist on being on a mainline rail -- then a town B&B or hotel would be your best bet.