Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   B&Bs/Castles/Gardens outside of London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/b-and-bs-castles-gardens-outside-of-london-29202/)

Kate Meilicke Jul 23rd, 1998 08:05 AM

B&Bs/Castles/Gardens outside of London

Hi! My Mom and I are going to spend 5 days in London then want to spend the next 3 days in the countryside at B&Bs looking at Castles and Gardens. We will be there the first week of Sept so I don't know how good the gardens will be but thought we would try. The last night we need to end up near Gatwick Airport since we have a 2:30 PM flight the next day. Any suggestions?

Kat Jul 23rd, 1998 12:54 PM

You're in luck! The late-summer gardens of England are gorgeous and September usually offers the finest weather of the year with lots of sunshine! <BR> <BR>As you have only three days, I suggest selecting a base somewhat near Gatwick, then explore the attractions in the area. For example, East Grinstead in West Sussex is just 50 minutes southwest of London by train and there are several castles and many exquisite gardens within a 30-mile radius. Also, some lovely and unusual places to stay. <BR> <BR>One of them (my favorite), Gravetye Manor, is even smack in the middle of a famous English garden created by William Robinson (it was his home). I spent several days in these gardens in mid-September several years ago -- utterly entrancing! Gravetye is 16 miles from Gatwick. <BR>GRAVETYE MANOR <BR>near East Grinstead <BR>West Sussex RH19 4LJ <BR>Tel.: (44) (01342) 810567 <BR>Fax: (44) (01342) 810080 <BR>E-mail: [email protected] <BR>http://www.relaischateaux.fr/gravetye/ <BR> <BR>Or, stay in an actual castle, Amberly Castle, to be precise. Amberly is near Arundel in West Sussex, 20 miles from Gatwick. <BR>AMBERLY CASTLE <BR>Nr Arundel <BR>West Sussex <BR>BN18 9ND England <BR>Tel: +44 (0)1798 831992 <BR>Fax: +44 (0)1798 831998 <BR>http://www.slh.com/pages/l/leyenga.html <BR> <BR>Another choice might be Ashdown Park Hotel, only 15 miles from Gatwick. <BR>ASHDOWN PARK HOTEL <BR>Wych Cross <BR>Forest Row <BR>East Sussex <BR>RH18 5JR <BR>England <BR>Tel: +44 (0)1342 824988 <BR>Fax: +44 (0)1342 826206 <BR> <BR>Apart from Amberly, another castle near East Grinstead is HEVER CASTLE which was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. There's all the usual castle accouterment including moat, drawbridge, suits of armour standing in the corners, a banquet hall with musician's loft. Tours of the fully-furnished castle are fascinating and fun. The castle grounds comprise gardens, orchards, a topiary chess set, a maze, ancient Roman and Greek scupture, a lake, forests and picnic grounds. When I was there one September the fuchsias and dahlias were in extravagantly bounteous bloom. <BR> <BR>The 15th-century Herstmonceaux Castle (and gardens)in Hailsham (East Sussex) is a rewarding trek. <BR> <BR>GARDENS NEAR EAST GRINSTEAD <BR>There are lots of National Trust and other notable gardens in the area: <BR>STANDEN (you can also tour the Wm Morris-connected manor house) <BR>NYMANS GARDENS <BR>BORDE HILL <BR>WAKEHURST PLACE ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS <BR>LEONARDSLEE <BR>SHEFFIELD PARK <BR> <BR>A bit further afield are the gardens at Sissinghurst and Great Dixter (this latter, in my mind, is England's greatest garden. <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR>

sgorces Jul 23rd, 1998 01:33 PM

You have lots of options, but you should head out to the Cotswolds. Takes you out to Oxford. B&Bs abound, gardens thrive, and don't miss the Blenheim Palace tour. Visit Chipping Campden. Drop down to Bath and then to the Channel Coast and work your way along the coast, maybe a brief channel Island trip, and end up back a Gatwick that way. This is only one option, but it's a good one! Have fun. <BR>

sue Jul 24th, 1998 11:34 AM

I am just outside Stratford-upon-avon and on the edge of the Cotswolds, were abound with Castles (Warwick, the finest in England being one) and wonderful gardens - Hidcote, Upton House, Coughton Court etc etc. E mail me and I will tell you all and maybe send you brochures. <BR>

anne Jul 29th, 1998 07:02 AM

Just back from our latest trip on which we spent the first 3 days in the se of Britain. Stayed at the lovely B & B Southgate - Little Fowlers in Hawkshurst. Susan Woodard is a gracious and very helpful hostess. Phone is 100-44-1580-752526. 24 pounds per person. <BR>The gardens we especially enjoyed were Sissinghurst and Hever Castle. <BR>Have a lovely trip!

anne Jul 29th, 1998 07:27 AM

Just back from our latest trip on which we spent the first 3 days in the se of Britain. Stayed at the lovely B & B Southgate - Little Fowlers in Hawkshurst. Susan Woodard is a gracious and very helpful hostess. Phone is 100-44-1580-752526. 24 pounds per person. <BR>The gardens we especially enjoyed were Sissinghurst and Hever Castle. <BR>Have a lovely trip!

Maira Jul 29th, 1998 08:20 AM

My husband and I stayed at a most georgeous B&B in the Cumbria Region, in a town called Lanercost. The name of the B&B was The Abbey Bridge Inn. Set-up in a country setting, the Inn was within walking distance of Naworth Castle and of an old abbey (can't remember the name; this abbey was atacked and sieged by William Wallace at one time). The Irthing River cravels within yards of the Inn (a beautiful old bridge provides an anmazingly beautiful background). There are no neighbors other than the Castle and the Abbey. To make it more appealing, it is also within walking distance to sections of the Hadrian's Wall. The owner's name is Mr. Philip Sayers and he is an expert on local ales which he sells in his pub (a 1600's old weldsmith shop) and in local history. E-mail me if you need specifics as far as phone munber, directions from London, prices (very affordable!), etc...

Cheryl Jul 29th, 1998 08:27 AM

I'd have to agree with Sue. Three years ago we toured England/Scotland and visited many castles. The best castle seen was Warwick. (I'd go there again).

Cheryl Jul 29th, 1998 08:33 AM

I'd have to agree with Sue to see Warwick Castle. It is the most beautiful castle seen when touring England and Scotland three years ago. When you think of castles in fairytales, this one's it!

Val Jul 29th, 1998 08:57 AM

We just returned from England and one of our favourite castles was Leeds.It has garden,maze[where you try to find your way out]area with birds and nice restaurant. <BR>We took the train there and then went to Dover.All in one day.