B&B WESTERN IRELAND

Aug 11th, 2001, 04:30 AM
richard spriggs

B&B WESTERN IRELAND

Up date to previous message complaying with
a response suggestion, B&B too general.

Message: Planning a 10 day B&B drive tour trip starting 9 Sept arriving Shannon.Has anyone stayed at the Shannon Cottage at O'Brien's
Bridge.Would appreciate any info on B&B's in Western Ireland.Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Danna ([email protected])
Date: 8/10/2001, 8:20 pm ET

Message: Richard... I suggest you rephrase your title to say B&B's in Western Ireland or such... just B&B is too general and lots of folks with Irish experiences may pass it by.... Can't help you myself, I've been to Northern Ireland and Donegal. Hope this helps. Have a grand time!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 11th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Leslie

We loved Devane's Farmhouse, run by Mary Devane. High on a hill overlooking Dingle Bay.

Aug 11th, 2001, 01:46 PM
jackie

Just back from W. Ireland. We stayed at Heaton's Guesthouse in Dingle. It sits across from water, is walking distance to town, very comfortable and great breakfast. We only spent one night, tried to extend our stay, but they were booked. Also stayed at Erics Court in Killarney and enyoyed that just as much. We did the driving tour: Shannon, Killarney, Dingle, Doolin, Clifden. Way too much driving. Would not ever do it that way again.

Aug 12th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Joy

When you say "way too much driving"--what exactly do you mean. I am going in Sept. Landing in Shannon and staying in Galway for 3 days---exploring the area. Then driving up to Sligo/Donnegal for 2 days. Then to Dublin for two days. Then 2 days to get to Dingle Pininsula---then 3 days atone place in Ventry---then 2 days somewhere and out from Shannon. Your thoughts would be helpful! Thanks (am so excited but don't wan the all day drive problem and regret it. I think I've planned several same location stops but think it is much driving between)

Aug 12th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Gerry

Get yourself a copy of the Board Failte
B. & B. Guide. It lists thousands of
B. & B. s according to county and town.
You cannot go wrong if you follow this book. Also Family Homes of Ireland which are fairly new (since 1997) One place is better than the other. I have traveled to Ireland 6 times and have always had lovely accomodations through the use of these books. Would never think of staying anywhere but in the B. & B.'s Also your host will always be willingto suggest a new place depending on where you are headed. Also if you are having a problem, go to a Board Failte center. THey are located in almost any town. For a mere 50 cents to one dollar they will even do the booking. You can get the B. & B. Book through your travel agent or again at the Board Failte center and ask at the airport. Have a great trip and trust your B. & B.s

Aug 12th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Joy

Thanks for th advice on B&B guides. I keep hearing you'll regret it if you drive too much. In a 14 day trip--I am starting off in Connamara for 3 days then up to Sligo/Donnegal for 2 days then to Dublin for two days then 2 days to get to Dingle Peninsula then there for 3 days then two days somewhere and home from Shannon. Is that too much to cover. The places that we are staying for consectuive days in same place is Connemara (Galway) 3 days Dublin 2 days then Ventry (Dingle Peninsula) 3 days. Everythin else is just hit and miss.

Aug 12th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Cathy

Joy,

Your plans are just perfect - with lots of more than one night stays in the same area. However do not bring thr car into the city centre or city of Dublin - leave it at your B&B (hopefully it is outside the city) and walk or take public transport as Dublin is a nightmare to drive in)

For driving in Ireland allow twice the amount of time to drive half the distance you would normally drive in the States, take your time and pull over frequently to let the cars behind pass (but remember to stop on the hard margin ie over the yellow line as it illegal to drive on this part of the road - it is only for stopping).

The Irish Tourist Board web site is www.ireland.travel.ie.

Also check out www.hidden-ireland.com for unusual places to stay,

Have a good time

Cathy

Aug 12th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Jackie

To Joy:

"way too much driving" meaning we spent at least 5 or 6 hours a day getting to the next destination. Driving through town centers is awful--cars double parked and too narrow for 2 lanes of passing traffic. Driving on left side of street makes it very difficult to judge the distance between you and parked cars. Roads are unpassable for long stretches, you need to beware of stopping for cows and sheep. There are alot of round-abouts and it takes some time to get use to these as well as how to follow the posted arrows. Also meant that we had to haul luggage in and out of car as well as up and down stairs. It just seems to me that with the stress of driving it required a day's journey to get from one town to the next. There were 5 of us traveling toghether and we all came home with the same opinion. Next time we will go to 2 places and do day trips from there. My two places would be Killarney and Dingle.

Aug 13th, 2001, 03:47 AM
Joy

Dear Jackie and Cathy,
Thanks both of you for your responses. Very helpful. In Dublin, though we thought of stayingoutside the ciy, we are staying at Number 31 a few blocks from St. Stephens Greens. But we arrive on a Sunday, so am hoping the traffic is not as bad. Once we check-in car won't move until Tuesday when we head out. Anyone heard of Mount Eagle Lodge in Ventry? (Right near Dingle Peninsula) We are staying there for 3 days. Thanks!

Aug 13th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Laura

Hi Richard.....we stayed at and loved Salmon Leap Farm in Clonkeen, just minutes up the road from Killarney (it was highly recommended to us). The owners are warm, friendly people and the farm has lovely views. She makes a delicious breakfast. The phone number there is 00 353 64 53005.