Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   B&B's in Venice recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/b-and-bs-in-venice-recommendations-667983/)

cwoolner Jan 7th, 2007 07:53 AM

B&B's in Venice recommendations

I am going to Venice in June of 2007 for a few nights. I am looking for a B&B or hotel in the 150E range for a double. I've looked at the Dorsoduro, San Marco or San Polo areas, but am open to suggestions! So... anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!!

TuckH Jan 7th, 2007 08:27 AM

>anybody have any recommendations?<

Yes, I do... www.locandadelleacque.it

MaureenB Jan 7th, 2007 09:25 AM

Pension La Calcina is a favorite of many fodorites, but it books up really quickly. It's a great value and a charming little hotel. Here's what I put in my report from last May:

"The next day was Mother’s Day, so we headed out to find Bar Caffe La Piscina for a special brunch. Having read so much about the Pension La Calcina, Dorsoduro 780, I had sent an availability inquiry via e-mail to them while looking for accommodations in Venice. Even though they were full, La Calcina sent back a nice e-mail with their regrets, and an offer to visit their lovely restaurant, La Piscina, including a 12 percent discount on our meal, to thank us for our interest (a very nice touch).

Researching La Piscina on the internet, I thought it looked very attractive. It sits on the Zattere, with a beautiful view of the Giudecca canal and the pretty buildings across it. La Piscina’s outdoor tables are shaded by pretty blue umbrellas, and are set on a wooden deck over the water.

We were very happy we’d made the somewhat long and hungry walk to Dorsoduro, because eating at La Piscina was a real treat. The service was impeccable, the atmosphere amazing, and we had a beautiful blue-sky day to enjoy the view. Our meal included wine, bottled water, a primi, a “snack”, and a secondi, for 46.50EUR, minus 5.50 EUR for our discount. It was an especially memorable Mother’s Day, for sure.

After our meal, we walked into Pensione La Calcina and were impressed with how nice it looked. Its prices seemed really low, for its nice setting and the pretty look of the hotel. We’ll definitely remember it, if we re-visit Venice in the future. We were told to inquire several months in advance for lodging availability there."

Also, here's my comments on the little one-star hotel we stayed in this past June:

"Hotel Riva*, at Ponte dell’Angelo.

We checked in and were happy to have a first floor room, since there’s no elevator. Our room was in the corner, looking over the intersection of two small canals.

Hotel Riva is a small one-star hotel, very quaint and charming. Its lobby is welcoming, and its breakfast room is appealing, with both rooms having windows looking directly out on a little canal where gondoliers glide by every few minutes. It couldn’t be a better location. The hotel is sparkling clean, with marble floors, wooden walls, and glass sconces. The bedspreads could be replaced, as they are a bit worn, but that’s a very minor thing to notice, given the wonderful canal views from the hotel and its overall charm.

Our room had an amazing view of the two canals, and the bridges that cross them. Singing gondoliers would use one of the canals, especially. So, from our room, we could hear them go by, singing “Ave Maria” and other Italian favorites. I would sit on my bed, open both corner windows, and watch the activities on two different canals and bridges. Despite the nearness of the canals and the people walking over the bridges and down the little street, the noise was not bothersome to us. The double windows and shutters close tightly, and the canal and foot traffic seemed to be minimal at night.

I highly recommend the Hotel Riva. Its location and price are unbeatable. We paid for a double room, which was just 130 EUR, including an extra 10 EUR for the canal view. We actually had a triple room, with one large bed comprised of two twins pushed together, plus another twin bed in a little alcove. Breakfast is included, which is simply a hard roll and jam, but also with very nice cappuccino. It was a perfect hotel for us.

After getting settled, even though it was getting late, we walked around to get oriented in the neighborhood. We were located close to San Marco, so it was a short walk to the square, with lots of shops and restaurants along the way."

Finally, here's info. on another nice little B&B where my daughter has stayed:

"For a simpler choice, the Casa Rezzonico (which we had also considered for this visit, as its rates are in the range of the Hotel Riva), Dorsoduro, Fondamenta Gherardini 2813, www.casarezzonico.it. It is in a quiet, out-of-the-way location, near a small campo, close to the Accademia. It has an attractive garden area in the center, which some rooms overlook, and where breakfast buffet is served. A good budget choice."

Have fun planning.:)>-

suze Jan 7th, 2007 09:41 AM

www.lacalcina.com

cwoolner Jan 7th, 2007 11:04 AM

Maureen - Do you have info on how to contact the Riva? I've googled them and only come up with something from Trip Advisor, but not a hotel website. Thanks!!

MaureenB Jan 7th, 2007 11:50 AM

Yes, it's http://www.hotelriva.it/

(Rick Steves recommends it in his Italy book, and may even guarantee a price if you mention his book. If you're interested, I can find the information in his book.)

It is a simple little hotel, but a great location and very clean and charming. I have photos I could e-mail to you if you'd like.
:)>-

cwoolner Jan 7th, 2007 12:42 PM

Maureen - I would love if you could email me some pictures! I've checked out the link, it is quite nice and simple. If you can find the info from Rick Steeves, that would be great too. I appreciate all of your help!!

~cindy
[email protected]

sherhatfield Jan 7th, 2007 02:26 PM

Another vote for Casa Rezzonico! I would definitely stay there again. We really enjoyed the outdoor area for relaxing with a bottle of wine after a day of sightseeing.

MaureenB Jan 8th, 2007 08:00 AM

I have sent the photos in individual e-mails because they are big files. If you look at the Hotel Riva website, you will see pics of the room 1 we were in, with the pinkish bedspreads and the corner window.

I'll look for my Rick Steves' book and find the Hotel Riva info to post later today.
:)>-

MaureenB Jan 8th, 2007 10:22 AM

From Rick Steves' Venice 2006, p 211:
"$ Hotel Riva, with gleaming marble hallways and bright modern rooms, is romantically situated on a canal along the gondola serenade route. . . . Sandro might hold a corner (angolo) room if you ask, and there are also a few rooms overlooking the canal. Ten of the 32 rooms come with air-conditioning for the same price--request one when you reserve (Sb- 90 EUR, two D with adjacent showers- 100 EUR, Db- 120 EUR, Tb- 170EUR, 10 EUR extra for view, reserve with credit card but pay with cash only. . . tel. 041-522-7034, fax 041-528-5551). . . . "

p. 203: "The major advantages of this book are its extensive listing of good-value hotels and the special prices promised to my readers. . . I've assured hoteliers that my readers will book direct, so they'll get 100 percent of what you pay; therefore, you'll get the fair net rate.. . . Booking direct (not through a Web site) is your ticket to better rates.. . . If you book via a Web service, I wash my hands of your problems. Help me enforce honest business practices by reporting any hotel charging more than the listed rates in 2006 to those who book direct. E-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks."

I booked the Hotel Riva directly via e-mail and was quoted the price Steves' listed. I didn't mention his book, as I didn't even know of it at the time, but I got the price anyway.

We did not have an AC room in mid-May, but the cross breezes from the windows worked just fine to keep us cool.

There's a very ugly report on TripAdvisor, about bugs smashed on the walls, but we sure didn't see anything of the sort!

Have fun planning! :)>-

cwoolner Jan 13th, 2007 10:44 AM

Maureen - thanks for all the pics you sent me - the hotel looks lovely! :)

cwoolner Jan 20th, 2007 08:35 AM

I've inquired at Ca'Turelli, La Calcina and a few others that have been recommended with no luck on availability. Has anyone stayed at Ca'Riccio? If you have, what did you think?? Are there any other suggestions for places to stay - looking for a double ensuite in the 100 - 150E range. Help!!

Thanks!

julia_t Jan 20th, 2007 09:03 AM

www.palazzoduodo.com

I stayed here for 3 nights about 3 or 4 years ago. I found it on the internet and had no recommendations (I'd not discovered fodors then!) but as it did seem very good I booked it. Comparing it to hotels with canal views and similar furnishings it is a real bargain.

It was really great. The rooms are filled with antique furniture, all rooms have canal and rooftop views. There is an elevator. The location is just minutes from Piazza San Marco and Rialto not much further. Fantasy Gelato is just over the bridge and round the corner for the best gelato in Venice!

You get your own front door key, and a key to the floor the suites are on. The maid comes in the morning, prepares and serves breakfast, and cleans and tidies your room. I have never seen a silk nightie folded so beautifully BTW! Apart from that you are on your own. There is a fridge in the room - I can't remember if it was a minibar, but we bought our own water, wine, olives, etc. The bathroom we had (green suite) was huge, and you had lovely views from the bath and the toilet! And because you were so high up no-one could see you!

We were there in April, but I see that it does have air conditioning.

The only negative I can come up with was that the palazzo is owned by a family who own a hotel (the name escapes me right now) in Campo Manin, and because we arrived very late at night we first had to go to the hotel to collect the keys and then find our way to the palazzo. It wasn't difficult though. If you arrive in the day or early evening they take you to the palazzo. And when we checked out we had to go to the hotel to pay, but that had the advantage that we could leave our bags until evening.

I would not hesitate to stay there again.

annabelle2 Jan 20th, 2007 01:20 PM

I may have been the one to recommend Ca'Turelli. Here is a place a stayed quite a few years ago that I loved:
Casa Martini (www.casamartini.it -- NOT .com, that is another place!)

It is not in the areas you mention, it is in Cannaregio near the Jewish Ghetto. It is a lovely little hotel, warm and yet elegant -- very 'Venice'.

The owners are a charming and helpful couple, and it has been in the family for 100's of years.

The price listed now is 90-160 euors.