B & B's in Edinburgh

Search

B & B's in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B & B's in Edinburgh

We are two women going to Scotland in September. We are beginning our trip in Edinburgh where we plan to stay for three nights. Can anyone recommend a good B&B that is centrally located and moderately priced. We will be renting a car and visiting Inverness, Pitlochry, Oban, Isle of Skye etc. Any tips re good accomodation, places of interest?
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You first need to tell us what you consider "moderately priced". Moderate to one person can mean expensive to the next person
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't more specific. We were hoping to get something around 100 to 130 pounds a night. We definitely want to be very centrally located as we are only spending 2 days in Edinburgh and want to maximize our time.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hi jbmur,

I enjoyed a week at the Dene Guest House, http://www.deneguesthouse.com/, this past April. The tariffs easily meet your budget.

The location is New Town, not Old Town, so you will have to decide if that "price" is more than you want. The #36 bus has a stop directly across from the front door, and it has also stops on Waverley Bridge (where you would arrive if taking bus from airport).

To get up and over the Dundas St. hill to Princes St. I went around the corner from the guest house and got either a #23 or #27 bus, very frequent runs, so you never waited long.

Depending how early you rise, this location could easily work for you. Even on vacation, I am an early riser, so to be in New Town was no problem: I spent more time waiting from when I woke (6am) to the usual 10am opening time of the museums than getting to the museums (15?-20? minutes by bus to Royal Mile). FYI, the Castle opens at 9:30, a 1/2 hr less waiting
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Several years ago I took a solo trip to Edinburgh and stayed at 16 Lyndoch Place. I liked it very much:

http://www.16lynedochplace.co.uk/
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM

My husband and I are going to Scotland in September also. We're staying in Edinburgh for three nights and have booked the Victorian Town House. We're paying 80 GBP per night per room (not person) for en suite including breakfast.

www.thevictoriantownhouse.co.uk
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM

bookmarking - I'm staying at the Dene guest House this September for the first time and I appreciate scotlib's info - thank you
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Hi bailey6325, you are certainly welcome. I hope you enjoy your visit. Edinburgh is great!

When you leave the front door and go to the right, cross Dundas and keep going .. hmm, it might be one or two bus stops on the #36, almost across from the Stockbridge Public Library, anyway .. and you'll find a small supermarket. Edinburgh has lots of little shops for a quick bite, but if you want a bit more options, there you go.

Oops, this is jbmur's thread. Back to that.

It occurs to me that just as janisj asked for clarification on cost, so is it hard to judge distance and what's "central." The options suggested all look very nice and I don't feel guilty for recommending the location where I stayed, anymore

jbmur .. the places of interest that I want to visit again--in Edinburgh--are the Museum of Edinburgh and the People's Museum .. http://www.cac.org.uk/ .. they are both free .. on the end of the Royal Mile down toward the Holyrood Palace

If you know/like the story of Greyfriar's Bobby, you will want to visit the Museum of Edinburgh, second floor, all the way to the back of the displays (this past April, anyway) and you will find a display with Bobby artifacts and his story. I almost did not go in and would have really been kicking myself if I found out about this after my trip!

I thought the People's Museum did a nice job of bringing the ordinary person's life alive.

Cheers! My Fodor's trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35128123
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Don't stay IN Inverness; it's boring. How about the Lovat Arms in Beauly; try the Moulin Inn in Moulin, Pitlochry.

What do you like? Why are you coming?