Search

B&B's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B's

I appreciate all the input in helping us plan out trip, now I'm looking for some recommendations for B&B's in Ennis,Galway,Dublin(not downtown),Kinsale and Dingle. With the exception of Dublin,we would like to stay within walking distance of these towns. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 09:39 AM

In Galway, I would try to find something in the Salthill area. It's a bit of a hike to Eyre Sq. from there especially if you're at the west end of Salthill, but there's a City Bus. Salthill is basically Galway's beach resort (on the Bay).

In Ennis, I have stayed in all three of the 'town centre' hotels (Old Ground, Temple Gate and Queen's), the Abbey Tourist Hostal, and most recently at Rose Cottage B&B. All were quite adequate. Prices at the Hotels were competitive with B&B's and all included breakfast. The Old Ground just finished adding a new wing with 80-additional rooms early this year; with that increase in capacity they may have some special offers to keep them full, especially when it's not the peak tourist season.

Also check with Paul Madden (Manager) at the Temple Gate to see if he has any 'special' available for the days you will be in Ennis. You may tell him Ned recommended the Temple Gate (I have stayed there 3-times).

B&B's are not that inexpensive: it's not unusual for them to charge 35-Euro Per Person (sharing). That comes out to 70-Euro /night (about $80 USD) for a couple.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Galway - outside of town but one of the best in Ireland - Killeen House. Dingle - Heaton's Guesthouse.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I can reccomend the OLD PRESBYTERY in Kinsale-it was beautiful and the best breakfast we had. Also Emalgh Lodge in Dingle-both are very close to town centers. BEWARE-some B&B you must walk up a number of flights of stairs to reach your room-it is best if you bring a smal bag to transfer your clothes into for the duration of your stay in each B&B-it sure beats lugging a ton of luggage up stairs!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Hawthorn House in Salthill is excellent for Galway. Close to bus stop and waterfront.

In Dingle, Greenmount is top drawer, but a bit more expensive than others. It was worth it to us.

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:50 AM

if you want to stay close to town the Sceilig House in Kinsale 10 min walk to town with a great harbor view - four seasons seans in Galway short walk to town and great people
lizard
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM

WHat is your price range and I will give you some place in the vicinity of Dublin. Are you bringing a car? I live here and would know a few places so a budget per night would be useful
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

I would like a B&B in the range of E40-50 per person. I was thinking of the Rathmines area at a place called the Blackstone House. I also looked at a place called the Botanic Villa in the Glasnevin area. My thought is to stay just south of the city as we will be leaving Dublin and going to Waterford, so it may be easier if we are located in the south of Dublin. What do you think??
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Outside of Dublin, we stayed in Swords at the San Augustine. Nice little town, close to the airport north of Dublin. The San Augustine is comfortable, beautifully maintained, and very welcoming.