B&B: ressies or drop-in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For travel 5/26-6/5/04, should I make reservations? Or as we're driving, decide where we'll end up that evening and call during the day? I'd just need a list of a couple of possibilities?
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:14 AM

It may depend on where you're travelling which you don't say. In general, May and June are not too busy anywhere, but there are lots of public holidays then, so there will be busy days and busy weekends. Public holidays vary from country to country, and even within certain countries.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:18 AM

You should be fine with just dropping in for most nights. I always book my first and last night just so you wont have to mess with it. If you want to stay someplace that is in demand I would also consider pre-booking (castles,towns during festivals or other events) Leaving your options opens is nice because it gives you the freedom to linger a little longer if you find a place you really like or move on from the ones you dont. Pick up a copy of a B&B guide when you arrive (most car rental agencies have them or stop into a tourists office)they will list places where you are headed. Also ask whomever you stay with if they can recommend a place in the direction you are headed. Make a list of places before you leave that you have heard good things about and use that as a guide as well.
Cheers
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:21 AM

BTW Geeoff Hamer is right you should say you mean Ireland. I figured it out by looking under the Ireland heading and found your message there but all discussions end up in Europe and it can be a bit confusing. Have fun!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 06:57 AM

There are lots of bed and breakfasts in Ireland and the main roads into most towns are lined with them. Double or twin rooms are commonest; if you want singles or a family room, the choice will be more limited, but I wouldn't dream of bothering to try to book places in advance. It's much better to be able to change your plans according to the weather and other circumstances. If you're arriving somewhere late in the evening, try phoning or booking through a tourist office, but otherwise it's not necessary.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM

bmurray61 writes: "... 5/26-6/5/04, should I make reservations? Or as we're driving, decide where we'll end up that evening and call during the day?"

May 31st may be the 'Whitsun Bank Holiday,' with Pentecost May 30th. It's kind of like Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. Lots of weekenders will be visiting away from their homes, so things may be a bit 'tight' that weekend (right in the middle of your visit). You should try to have something definite for that weekend; otherwise you should be OK if you just call a day in advance.

Buy an Eircom phone card (the kind with the I/C chip visible on the card) and take a list of B&B's where you may want to stay along with their phone numbers.