Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > B&B in Scotland for a family in July - need reservation?

B&B in Scotland for a family in July - need reservation?

Nov 6th, 1997, 02:07 AM
tim

B&B in Scotland for a family in July - need reservation?

Family of 4 planning a trip to Scotland in July. Do not want to pay for two B&B rooms. 2 sources so far have said not to make reservations, better to choose on the spot, and that they are plentiful. One was just a couple traveling in October, don't know about other. Having experienced tough time finding B&B with a room big enough for 4 in July in USA even with a reservation 6 months in advance, it is very hard to believe situation is better in Scotland. Any comment from experience getting a B&B room big enough for more than 2 during peak season in Scotland?

Nov 6th, 1997, 10:29 AM
Tricia

Well, we didn't go to Scottland, went to Holland and Germany in August, peak season, had easy times in some places and in others rooms were completely booked and had to drive for miles out of our way to find a dump 3 floors up. Here is what I learned- some people will grumble, but--the Best Westerns and Holiday Inns in Europe usually have the American type set up, where 4 can sleep in a room. Find their websites on line or call and get their 1/800
numbers. They have books that are nice to take with you listing the cities they are in, and the prices.
Now they are still culturally like the country they are in. Beds are European, thick foam with comforters, no sheets no blankets. But rooms in Europe are small and trying to cram 4 in a room was hell. My husband was beside himself (he gets anxious when things are different) so our favorite way to go was to find a pension- get hubby and me a bigger room with a bathroom, and put kids across the hall in a small room with a sink and mirror -then they would use our bathroom or the one down the hall- we all slept better! As for making reservations- at least have them for the first one or two nights of arrival and then for the last night before flying out. Same yourself a lot of stress. Then if you plan as you go (especially Best Western and Holiday Inns- will do this for you) call ahead a few nights at a time and reserve a room. My Frommer's guide has castles and country farms to stay at in Scotland. Take a good guide with you or print some room info off the internet and make a notebook to take with you. Good luck.

Nov 6th, 1997, 10:37 AM
Tricia

Forgot to mention that there is another travel forum with 15 travel boards, and one of them is specifically for families. www.europtrip.com. Click on travelboards on the right hand side of screen, when they come up, scroll thru until you find it.

Nov 8th, 1997, 09:36 AM
David Barber

I hate to say it, but it is really what you consider 'big enough' - usually the rooms do not qualify as 'roomy' by American standards - a B&B I would definitely spring for two rooms, especially considering the costs involved (i.e. a few extra pounds vs. going insane). I personally always recommend a reservation in high season, and since it's English speaking, it's really a piece of cake. The alternative is just getting an early start of it, and getting the room before anyone else does, which usually can be done, but is always risky.

Nov 18th, 1997, 03:52 PM
Anne

Where in Scotland are you planning to go?? Last spring we (family of 4) spent a night at Lunden Links Hotel (a B&B). Large room -- 2 twin beds, 1 double. Plus couch, chair, tv and large in room (en suite, they say) bathroom. It was near St Andrews and not far from Edinburgh, can't remember the name of the town, but I'll keep looking. Made initial reservations via Internet.

Search this Thread