Search

b&b in portmagee, valentia island, close-by

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 11:42 AM
pgo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b&b in portmagee, valentia island, close-by

considering taking a boat trip to skellig michael. looking for a place to stay in that area. also would appreciate any feedback on anyone's experience to skellig michael.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:00 AM

pgo,<BR><BR>Skellig Michael is one of Ireland's great historic attractions. If you have good weather on your side, you'll not want to miss out on this memorable excursion.<BR><BR>I took the trip to the Skelligs a few years ago, and stayed at Iskeroon, a very attractive B &amp; B located just outside Caherdaniel (www.iskeroon.com). Iskeroon is perfectly situated, as it overlooks the Atlantic and is close to boat launches for trips out to the Skelligs. The owners of Iskeroon, Geraldine and David Hare, can provide you with details.<BR><BR>If you'd like to stay closer to Portmagee, consider Glanleam House, a seven-room B &amp; B located on Valentia Island. I've not stayed here, and I don't have a web address, but it does have a good reputation for comfort and quality.<BR><BR>Best of luck.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:09 PM
pgo
Original Poster

DavidD,<BR>thank you for your recommendations.<BR>do you remember the driving time from catherdaniel to portmagee?<BR>i have been unable to find an active website for glanleam house. i know they are no longer members of ireland's blue book. i'm not sure what that means. does any one know if they are still in operation?<BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Hello...I have never stayed there, but there is a GLENREEN HEIGHTS bandb on Valentia Island.Website is http://www.homepage.eircom.net/~glenreen/ Could this be the one, David? Hope this is of some help...Helen
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:50 PM

Caherdaniel to Portmagee is around 20 miles. When I drove this route last August, I seem to remember the road was quite wide on N70, before turning off into a country lane. I would allow about 30-40 min. Waterville, much closer, provides plenty of accommodation, though a bit 'day-trippery'.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 06:39 AM

pgo,<BR><BR>Sorry about the belated response. As far as I can remember, the drive from Caherdaniel to Portmagee will take you about an hour (although driving times along the Ring are at best an inexact science).<BR><BR>Concerning Glanleam, I'm not familiar with it, although one of my guidebooks says it features exotic gardens, but there's no mention of B &amp; B.<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 06:59 AM

pgo,<BR><BR>Here's a bit more information about Glanleam House. The house was built in the 1820s and the estate consists of just under 200 acres, part of which is a restored tropical forest (On the Kerry coast, no less!)<BR><BR>Perhaps you'd like to give owner Meta Kreissig a ring at 066-9476176. Her fax number is 066-9476108.<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:16 AM

pgo,<BR><BR>Pardon this latest rush of postings, and the possible confusion from my second-to-last posting about Glanleam. The info. from my last posting comes from the 2001 edition of Alistair Sawday's Special Places to Stay in Ireland. Glanleam, at least as of 2001, offered B &amp; B, seven rooms, with prices ranging from Euro 35 - 85 per person. <BR><BR>Perhaps you can learn more by contacting www.sawdays.co.uk<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:47 AM
pgo
Original Poster

DavidD,<BR>Thank you for your response. I have contacted Meta at Glanleam and have made reservations for May. They are no longer Ireland BLue Book members (not sure what to take from that) but are still in operation. I guess we'll see. <BR>Thanks again,<BR>pgo