B&B CLOSE TO SHANNON AIRPORT?

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B CLOSE TO SHANNON AIRPORT?

I discovered on a website called "goireland" and features a B&B near the airport..
(Since 4 of us are leaving on a 9:30 flight back to US, we want to be very close to Shannon AP the night before we leave) . Have found a site called Moloneys B&B..they do not take credit cards but have to through a "booking agent" to make reservations. (it looks like "goirland" is the booking agent (?)... Wondering if anyone has been to Moloneys B&B in Shannon..?? Looking for reviews...website looks v.good..
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM

If Moloneys doesn't work out I have some other suggestions.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 02:34 AM

I usually recommend the place we used to use for early flights, The Oakwood Arms in Shannon Town. There are options in Bunratty and with the new road Ennis is only 40 minutes in from the centre of town and Grey Gables would be my B&B choice with the Temple Gate or Old Ground as hotel options.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM

The village of Bunratty is a favorite last night stop for lots of visitors. It is really a B&B village. Bunratty Lodge has been getting rave reviews for years (from me too). I think Ennis is a much more interesting town for a final night. I've stayed at a beautiful place just outside of town, the Lakeside Country Lodge. 5 minute ride into town and beautiful views our over Killone lake and Abbey. I've never stayed at Grey Gables but I would believe in what Tony tells you.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies...(re: wojazz3..As for Ennis..if I am correct (?) (which is rarely)...we would be approaching Shannon from the East..driving down from 2 days in Dublin..(haven't yet created a route)...my daughter will be driving. Her first time in Ireland..looking at the map it seems Limerick would be on our way to the airport.. just looking for a closer B&B or hotel..or whatever for the 4 of us..Tony..I believe we may have stayed at Grey Gables the last time my husband & I visited Ireland ???
but.. Wondering how far Bunratty is from the airport?.,
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

AM going to check out the Oakwood Arms... for a start..
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM

For the same reason, we needed to be close to the airport for an early flight, we stayed at Bunratty Lodge in Bunratty.
The room was spotless, very spacious, with an extra queen bed that made packing for the flight easier. We had to leave early, before breakfast was served, but the room was equipped with a coffee maker and we got a tray with fresh bread, jams, and fresh fruits.

According to google maps, the airport is 12 km away from Bunratty. I recall it an easy drive, well marked, with no traffic at the early hour.
Have a nice trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Next door to Bunratty Lodge is Headley Court, run by the daughter-in-law of the Lodge's hostess. I have stayed both places and can say that either would be a fine choice.

One advantage is that staying either place, you pull out of the car park, turn right and you are on a direct line to the airport, well signed for all us tourist types.

Since there are four of you this might not apply, but Bunratty Lodge has a family room with three large beds (can't remember whether doubles or queens) and two (count 'em, two) ensuites. Made getting ready in the morning really smooth for three women.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM

You want to avoid driving through Limerick. I don't know what the new road schemes have done from that direction. For the most part they have improved dramatically.

If you actually want a night out, Ennis would be my 1st choice in the area and is only 15-20 minustes past Bunratty. I wouldn't choose Limerick as a place to stay.

Have fun!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM

I'm with wojazz3 (Hi, Bill!) about driving through Limerick. I'd leave the motorway somewhere north and east of there, possibly take the R499 to R466 to O'Briensbridge, R463 to Castleconnell and then the R471 through Sixmilebridge and into Shannon. From there you could head to Bunratty if that is your choice.

Or, looking at my atlas once again, if you are coming in on the M7 you can skirt Limerick to the south and take the N18 on around, through the Tunnel and on into Shannon. A satnav might be a great help in navigating around Limerick.

And I agree, don't stay in Limerick. Choose Bunratty or Shannon area. Ennis isn't really that far away either and I have a recommendation for there if you're interested.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much...all.(Also...JaJa..I appreciate your directions and advice.) ..We will definitely avoid Limerick.. My husband just had a suggestion that since we are staying 6 days in Carraroe..before heading East toward Dublin..It may be easier on my daughter (1st time driving) if we took the train to Dublin for the 2 days we have reservations..(at Trinity Lodge) ?...
then rail back to Galway where we have our car..Don't remember how long the train ride took us..but it should be less that driving ..(maybe)..
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM

If your daughter is going to drive around South Connemara, she will be able for lesser challenges like Dublin and Limerick.

You have a logistics problem. The drive from Galway to Dublin is easy (motorway all the way) and the drive from Dublin to Limerick is also easy; getting through Limerick is easier than it used to be. But having a car in Dublin is a hindrance rather than a help: you'd be better just parking it. And I suspect that you won't get cheap parking near Trinity Lodge.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM

Driver girl here. I feel pretty confident about driving there, though I can say that with ease sitting here at my computer... but the issue of parking came up in Dublin and the expense associated with it. If we were to take the train, we still would have to leave our car parked the two days in Galway, and it appears as though the drive to Dublin is a straight-forward route. How difficult is navigating through the city of Dublin (by car) going to be? And should we rely on paper maps or secure a navigation GPS? Unfortunately, my cell phone, which has built-in GPS will not work in Ireland.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Welcome jgirl88. Here's where you check car parking possibilities: http://www.parkopedia.ie/parking/car...eet/d2/dublin/
It looks to me as if it would cost €40-50 per day to park the car near Trinity Lodge.

Scroll down the list at the bottom of the screen, and select number 52: Heuston Station. It will cost €7 per day. It's also more conveniently accessible from the Galway Road. Note that the map actually shows the N4, the road on which you will be coming in from Galway. You could park there and take a taxi to Trinity Lodge.

I'm more interested in how well you will manage the road from Carraroe to Lettermullen: that's a proper driving challenge.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Wow. Thanks Padraig, for the very helpful link! This will certainly help us with the challenge of car-parking. I shall come back to this site and give feedback on my driving experience there. I am looking forward to the trip and now I am going to go study the roads!
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

We are back...from this wonderful trip..and daughter (jgirl88) did a fantastic job driving..(yes she handled Connemara with ease) We did stay the last night at Oakwood Arms..a beautiful hotel..good food...good service. The room was a 4 bed (9 dbl and 3 singles) but only 1 bathroom..Too bad we had to leave early and missed the full (English?) breakfast. You were all correct about avoiding Limerick..(it is a dirty town). And as I recall, on a trip with my sister a few years back we did stay there at a B&B..and took note to avoid it any time in the future. About our stay at Trinity Lodge..The location was great for walking to shops and Grafton Street..but..(AND A BIG BUT)...there are no "lifts"...and our room was 4 flights up!! We had reservations for 2 nights so we took all of our luggage and it was a near HEART BREAKER!..we tried to figure out how we could avoid leaving only once a day so we would only have to make the climb once a day..(this did not work)...Beware..if you book there..There is only one bdrm with no stairs..it is #2. Our best and favorite lodging was in the village of Carraroe....it was a single unit..2 story 3 bdrm and 2 baths. Perfect for us..and we cooked,& entertained our friends for dinner..It is walking distance to the village, shops, church, pub, grocery stores..One week...695eu. It was a tearful departure..