Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   B&B business in Europe - needs a company's name (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/b-and-b-business-in-europe-needs-a-companys-name-596192/)

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 02:39 AM

B&B business in Europe - needs a company's name

I am developing a vacation rentals business in Europe through a website which will present beautiful and unknown (hidden) Bed & Breakfasts and Apartment rentals. First city will be Paris (my city) then Roma etc.
ANY IDEA FOR A COMPANY'S NAME WILL BE WELCOME
Thanks a lot in advance

ira Mar 4th, 2006 03:17 AM

Hi AP,

"B&B with Amelie"

Well, it rhymes in English. :)

((I))

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 05:55 AM

thanks for suggestion.
To include Amelie sounds a good idea since this first name because popular in the world with Amelie Poulain but we want to a name meaning "unique places to stay" and also not only target on B&B but also short term apartment rental

cocofromdijon Mar 4th, 2006 06:04 AM

Hi Amelie,
As a private owner of the second category can you please tell me how you work? Is a website where owners sign in and deal directly with tenants or is it an agency where you deal with tenants on behalf of the owners? Or maybe you own all the rentals! :-) It can make a difference to find an appropriate name.

good luck!
coco

rex Mar 4th, 2006 06:04 AM

Cachet Stays.

That will be $25,000 please.

;)

Best wishes,

Rex

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 06:49 AM

Thanks Coco for your comments. We will be an agency dealing with tenants on behalf of owners. We have thought of PRIVATE HOMES which is good on the paper but does not sound nice and easy pronouncing by French.
Thanks Rex but cachet has different meaning in french, it is also a word for medecine ! the 25000 will be delayed !

FAMOUSUNCLEART Mar 4th, 2006 06:52 AM

The name which came to mind is:
Your Home Away from Home.
or

Your European Home away from home.

Well, it was worth a shot!

Art

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 07:12 AM

Thanks Art, too long but good.
We also thought that a french name which would be understood by english would be good.
By the way, I will take all the people who are helping me to a visit of the hidden Montmartre when they visit Paris !!

cocofromdijon Mar 4th, 2006 07:22 AM

Art, <Your Home Away from Home>already exists! I found it when I was looking for my website name (myhomeindijon.com). I can tell you it is difficult to pronounce it for French people, I always have to spell it! (but I don't care because I mostly welcome English speakers! ;-))

Would something with "residence" in it work? it sounds like the same...

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 09:37 AM

Residence is for apartments with services.
We have bought domains with keywords like apartment rental, bed & breakfast, guest house. We just need now a nice and not too long name which means "special places to stay". Do you know Alistair's books, are they popular in the US ?
Does your rental business in Dijon doing well ?

julia_t Mar 4th, 2006 10:03 AM

Hi amelie...

Do you mean Alastair Sawday's books? I have used his British guide, and stayed at several places he has recommended.

His books and his website use the word SPECIAL, and this is what attracts people, because they think they will be getting something a bit different, off the beaten track, something special and maybe a little unusual. Finding a hidden TREASURE, a GEM of a place, DIAMOND Bed & Breakfast... etc etc,

Good luck, let us know what name you you decide upon, and I'd love to explore the secret Montmartre with you one day!

Neopolitan Mar 4th, 2006 10:11 AM

Sommeil Fortement

or is the idea lost in translation?

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 10:23 AM

Hi Julia !
I totally agree with you. I discovered Alistair's website when one I was looking for a nice place in Ireland and I had typed on google special place to stay in Ireland. It could be
Amelie's (or any other name) special places to stay in Paris.
I think that adding a name personalize.
I confirm the Montmartre visit
Here is my email [email protected]
we don't have any website yet but have already bought some domains with keywords
thanks again

julia_t Mar 4th, 2006 10:25 AM

Just saw the last post - before I go look for the dictionary it says to my (Probably Very Ignorant) mind...

Sleep Well...

Sleep Sound... Sleep Strongly...

Also I thought a sommelier was a wine waiter, so I begin to be confused already..

just some thoughts on that name, but I think English could be the best language for you to use to avoid mistranslations like I have just made! Please don't be offended, if I thought about this reply I maybe wouldn't send it, it is just a First Impression of Sommeil Fortement.

kenderina Mar 4th, 2006 10:29 AM

mmm.."The True Soul" and then it could be ..the true soul of Paris, the true soul of Roma and so on.. :)
I've always thought that the true soul of every place..is always at homes :)

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 10:51 AM

thanks for suggesting Neopolitan but Julia is right Sommeil fortement means sleeps strongly ! and our visitors needs to be very much awake for enjoying their trip !
true soul will not be our name but all these words suggestions will used in our presentation, thanks Kenderina !
I am so lucky to have you all participating ! it will have to be a group's visit for the Diamond Montmartre's visit

kelliebellie Mar 4th, 2006 11:17 AM

Just some off the top brainstorming of some phrases that might lead you somewhere:

rest your weary head
sweet dreams
cottages and castles
lap of luxury
live like a king
king for a day
private kingdom
whole new world
fairy tale properties
sleeping beauty rentals
out of a story book rentals
pages of history
once in a lifetime
beyond belief

Neopolitan Mar 4th, 2006 11:18 AM

That's fine by me, but personally being able to get a good night's sleep (sleep tight or sleep strongly) and NOT being awake is the main priority I have in selecting a place to sleep in Paris!

Never thought about the wine reference mix up, though. That's too funny. Unless Amelie is going to continually pour wine for all the people who stay in her places. . .

amelie_poulain Mar 4th, 2006 11:29 AM

I can assure you Neopolitan that we will assure our guests that we will sleep strongly in our places without giving them too much wine to help !
thanks for all your suggestions kelliebellie ! I am taking notes of them !
and what do you think of Amelie's (or another name) special places to stay ?

kelliebellie Mar 4th, 2006 12:44 PM

Amelie's Inns
Amelie's City Cottages
Amelie's Diamonds in the Rough
Amelie's City Villas
Amelie's City Chalets
Inns from Amelie
Amelie's Hidden Inns
Cool places to stay
Amelie's Privileged Properties
Rooms with Pizazz
Properties with Panache
Islands in the City
Amelie's Oasis

I have no idea how any of these would sound in French!