Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   B&B Banchi Vecchi in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/b-and-b-banchi-vecchi-in-rome-495065/)

cristine27 Jan 13th, 2005 08:22 AM

B&B Banchi Vecchi in Rome?

Hello! Has anyone been there? Is this b&b too far from the 'action' at night? (I don't know where the actual 'centre' is. Near piazza navona or at the Spanish steps? Thanks!

SRS Jan 13th, 2005 08:39 AM

We stayed there for three nights in August 2004. There were six of us in three of the rooms. It is about a 5-8 minute walk to Piazza Navona. So we felt the location was really good!

The rooms are lovely - just like in the pictures and the a/c works well.

The only thing we didn't like was that we rarely saw anyone again after we checked in. (I've read other experiences where the B&B people were there all morning, so our experience may have been an aberration.)

They were supposed to bring breakfast up each morning (and I think make up the rooms). They didn't one day and consequently my father-in-law ran out of toliet paper. And then when they did neaten up, they didn't bring more. So we had a bit of a paper crisis. Not a big deal, but one we hadn't planned for as it is billed as a b&b and not an apartment.

Overall it was a good experience and we would certainly consider staying there again.

Feel free to ask more questions if there is anything else I might be able to answer.

cristine27 Jan 13th, 2005 08:47 AM

Thanks for your reply sally!
I have been to Rome 7 years ago and i can't remember the surroundings of Piazza Navona. At night there are plenty of things to do nearby or you need to go at piazza di spagna?
And one more question. What about transportation? For example if you want to go to Piazza di Spagna and nearby do you have to take a taxi or there are buses? (or by foot maybe? ;-)

Eloise Jan 13th, 2005 09:27 AM

There is far more to do in the evenings -- restaurants and cafes -- around the Piazza Navona than in the Piazza di Spagna area.

You can walk from Banchi Vecchi to Piazza di Spagna in around 15 to 20 minutes.

SRS Jan 13th, 2005 09:36 AM

Eloise is right on from what I remember.

I think there is a bus that runs by Banchi Vecchi, but we didn't use it, so I can't be of much help.

It's a pretty central spot. Perhaps the most central would be by the Panthenon, but Piazza Navona is pretty good. I prefer the area to the Spanish Steps.

cristine27 Jan 13th, 2005 11:39 PM

Thanks to both of you.
I have made a reservation for banchi vecchi. (just hope i'm not too late!)
:-)

awbaker Jan 13th, 2005 11:56 PM

I stayed there in early September 2004. The rooms are LARGE, with marble baths. We had a similar experience as Sally with not seeing anyone in the mornings, although our room always seemed to be made up when we would return in the afternoons. Milena, the owner, gave us vouchers for a cafe nearby for breakfast, except for the one weekend morning we were there when they brought breakfast to our room.

We were very happy with our stay there, although it was the only hotel of our trip without a view which we missed. But you can't beat the price!! To get our view, we enjoyed sunset apertifs on the rooftop terrace of the Minerva Hotel behind the Pantheon -- a much better experience for a view than from inside a hotel room!!

As far as action, I agree that it was a quick walk to Piazza Navona. We also spent a couple of evenings in Campo de' Fiori AND Trastevere. We loved Trastevere and it was less than a 10 minute walk -- lots of shops, cafes and wine bars, and very busy at night.