B abd B or small hotel in Bologna

May 3rd, 2004, 03:41 AM
ajm
Original Poster

B abd B or small hotel in Bologna

I plan to spend 3 days in Bologna in late May. Using this as a base I hope to take trains to local towns. What sites should I be sure to see? I could rent a car, but prefer to take trains. Is this reasonable? Finally, is there a favorite hotel or B&B that I should consider?
May 3rd, 2004, 04:52 AM

We looooved Bologna. The food is fabulous and the city is small and beautiful, with that gorgeous terra cotta rose look to many buildings.

Definitely check out the very old church, I think it is called San Stefano, which has all kinds of old monk's quarters and chapels to explore. We went at dusk, and it was very atmospheric.

Be sure to have tortollini somewhere- it's the specialty of the town. The hot chocolate they serve in Bologna is also to die for (I'm not sure if this is just an Italian thing, or specific to the city.)

We stayed at the Hotel Arcoveggio and really enjoyed it. It is a clean, modern budget hotel, close to the train station, a twenty-thirty minute walk (or a quick bus ride) from the city center, in a quiet neighborhood of homes and stores.

Our room was fresh and bright, with Ikea-style modern furniture, funky periwinkle and lime decor, a firm, comfortable bed, a nice bathroom, and French doors opening onto a tiny balcony. It doesn't have old world charm, but the cleanliness and comfort (and price) made up for that.

People who don't really like to walk or take busses might want to be closer to the city center, but we really enjoyed seeing a "real" neighborhood, and our daily walks helped us find a great jazz club, Cantina Bentivoglio, where we had a good meal and saw great music from the Luca Barbieri Trio.

Have a great trip and don't forget to spend some time in Bologna itself!
May 3rd, 2004, 07:06 AM

I have read good comments about Cosy House Bed and Breakfast.
May 3rd, 2004, 07:52 AM

I found a B&B through the Emilia-Romagna web site, but unfortunately I can't get to the listings of Bologna's B&Bs this morning. At any rate, such a listing exists, giving standard basic information for each, and quite a few of them have their own web site attached that gives a sense of what the B&B is really like.

Search this Thread