Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Azzurre Room at Antica Residenza d'Azeglio (Jamikins??)

Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of making a 5 night reservation at the B&B above. I am spurred on by the wonderful tripadvisor reviews, jamikins trip report on this board and others. I am taking the Azzurre Room and wonder whether anyone has actually stayed in that particular room or seen it? Many thanks for your help and encouragement on this,
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:13 PM

Good morning!!

We have stayed there twice and love it - the owner is really friendly, breakfasts are good, and he served us wine in the afternoons (and there was a welcome bottle in the room as well). Its a short walk into the main pedestrian area and was lovely and quiet at night. Highly recommend it!

As for the Azzure roome - It looks like that is the one with the balcony! I have tried to book that each time but it has been booked! I have seen all the rooms, and of them all I believe that one is smaller than the others, which are quiet large by European standards. All rooms are off the main living room/breakfast area - that one is right by the table area, so if noise is an issue in the morning and you want to sleep in you may want to consider one of the other rooms. There is also a balcony area for other guests (small) but we sat out there with some wine several times. Both look into the courtyard of the apartment building.

I hope this helps! We will definitely stay there again next time we are in Bologna!
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, helps a lot. Thanks.
I was indeed "worried" that this was the smallest room, albeit the only one with a balcony. However, as I am on a budget this travel time, I have to go with the least expensive room and this was it. I could conceivably still go with another place which is even less expensive and larger room, even apartment, so I am still weighing in on all my options. Do I understand that you mean that we have a private balcony and there is another balcony for all other guests to use?
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 04:54 AM

I recently stayed at the Residenza and while I can understand its popularity, especially given the high cost of lodgings in Bologna, I would not stay there for 5 days. I actually wouldn't return there at all, even though the people are quite nice. I just felt that the whole place could use some refreshment. I don't know what room I had, but it was very small and attached to another room, which I take it was a shared space. I didn't like the fact that the door to my room opened directly onto the public space and the breakfast area. I slept very well, and like I said, other people might be quite happy there. But given the hugely glowing reviews I've read on TA and other places, I was expecting something a bit brighter.

I'll try to come back later with something comparably priced, but have you considered an apartment? One of the most fun things about a stay in Bologna is being able to buy fresh pasta and cook it up at home, and dress it with melted butter and some grated cheese. Often better than what you get in many restaurants. Ditto all the other food you can get in Bologna to make a simple great meal -- and eating out in restaurants all the time in Bologna can be too much food.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 05:00 AM

Just remembered I know people who stayed at Casa Ilaria and really enjoyed it. Location is good and it is not expensive

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/casa...ighlight_room=

I once considered renting an apartment from these people, and I think you can find reviews on TA

http://www.adrianoresidence.it/en/contatti.html
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 05:20 AM

I highly recommend Antica Residenza d'Azeglio. I've stayed in the Green Suite and found the facility needed no "refreshment". It was clean, charming, and extremely well located. The hosts could not have been nicer or more helpful. I will stay there again on my next visit to Bologna.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 05:29 AM

Yes Flame, you have the only private balcony. There is another for guests.

We didn't think anything needed refreshment either. As I said above, all bedrooms open into the communal spacebut this was never a problem for us - we barely saw people at all and they were full when we were there. Just depends on your preferences.

We stayed 5 nights in 2013 and would definitely do it again.

Enjoy your planning!
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 05:37 AM

We stayed here six nights in April this year in the Blue Room. Our room was not directly off the common area - it was located at the end of a small hallway just past the common area. The room was large, clean and very comfortable. There was good light from the large window. The bathroom was also large and super clean. If you are looking for modern décor - you won't find it here. The décor is typical Italian, just what I want when I'm staying in Italy. The location was perfect - a short walk to everything we wanted to see and a 5 minute taxi ride to the train station when we took day trips. The hospitality here is outstanding. If I had a chance to return to Bologna, I would definitely stay here again.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Different standards, perhaps. Shabby or tired may seem like unkind words to many people, but the room I had could definitely used refurbishment, new paint, some crisp new bed skirting, or fresher curtains. I was just surprised that such a well-reviewed b&b wasn't brighter. Needless to say, I wouldn't have booked it if I wasn't looking forward to staying there, and I never wrote a poor review on Tripadvisor because I think they are nice people and that, given the price and location, most people will not mind what I minded. But I think they are slightly below standard for my experience of b&bs in Italy for comfort and charm.

My problem with bedroom doors opening into communal space is noise and conversation coming through the closed doors. We were only there for 1 night so we shrugged it off but I wouldn't want it for 5 nights.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 06:08 AM

I'll give you a link for my favorite b&b in Bologna, Antica Casa Zucchini, but it might be out of your budget for this trip, especially if you are traveling in trade fair season. I have never stayed in their smallest room, which opens onto their breakfast area, but the other accommodations are excellent. For a 5 night stay, you might be able to get a lower rate. Don't know.

http://www.anticacasazucchini.it/engl/

I would still recommend an apartment.

But if you''ve already decided on l'Azeglio, let me know and I'll skip making other suggestions in the budget category.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 07:14 AM

I think this place is price competitive and has a wonderful location. You can read reviews.

http://www.bolognanelcuore.it/bb/tariffe
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's replies.
Sandra - all the options you suggested were either/and :
1) much more expensive than the B&B d'Azeglio
2) need a deposit to hold rooms
3) ones that I had also already checked myself

I did indeed think of an apartment and am still thinking about the possibility. Any particular suggestions?

I am a bit wary of taking the azzurre room only because everyone else that has answered this thread has stayed in their other rooms. The green room is considered the largest so I would not be worried there, and the others like the red and blue are also considered superior and larger. So I am still considering everything.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 10:50 AM

Flame - the other rooms are HUGE by European standards - at least the ones I have seen. Much bigger than any other rooms we have ever stayed in. Azzure is bigger than other european rooms we have stayed in.

I wouldnt hesitate to stay 5 nights in Azzure but then we dont spend a lot of time in the room. We are out and about. So if you want to lounge around during the day or at night maybe another place might be better. If you are looking for a place to rest your head, have a last glass of wine for example. I dont think you will have a problem.

Either way, I am sure you will have a fabulous trip!
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:06 AM

We stayed at Antica Residenza d'Azeglio for 4 nights in October 2011. We had the Red Room and our friends were in the Azzure Room ... they had no complaints, but our room was definitely more spacious. We had no problems sleeping due to noise from the communal room, or for any other reason.

We have stayed in many B&Bs throughout Italy and Europe, and this place is probably in the top 3 of all- the place itself is nice enough and the location is great, but what set it apart, at least for us, were the proprietors. Agostino and his nephew Roberto are two of the warmest people you'd ever want to meet... exceptionally helpful, friendly, generous, and 100% genuine. Four days was more than enough for the city of Bologna, but we were not anxious to leave the B&B.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:14 AM

What is the price for the "Azzure" room? It is possible that I paid a premium price because it was an emergency booking during a trade fair period when the business hotel where I normally stay was sold out, so what is your max price for a room per night?

Regarding apartments, I didn't realize that B&B nel Cuore also has apartments but they look appealing to me. Too expensive? Again, the other ones in the previous link I gave you for apartments has ones that start at 100e per night or a bit less during non-trade fair periods. Are you looking for something cheaper than that?

I didn't stay in the Azzure room in the Residenza Antica d'Azeglio but it was most certainly NOT "huge" by European standards-- and I have stayed in many, many other b&bs in Italy and where the rooms are bigger. It had an attached shared sitting room, but the room itself was small. In all the places I stay in Italy I never use the common rooms or hang around the hotel, but I like to have enough room for my suitcase and my knees. You can find plenty of other b&bs in Bologna with bigger rooms, if that is your concern -- plus hotels if you don't need a b&b.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM

Sorry -- my post isn't clear. I didn't stay in the Azzure room but the room I stayed in -- which I recall as having apple green walls -- was not "huge."
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Again, I don't wish to raise people's hackle's by expressing my surprise that Residenza Antica d'Azeglio was not what I expected based on glowing reviews. In an earlier post, I attributed my differing reaction to perhaps having "different standards" -- but that ends up sound like I have higher standards than others, which is NOT what I wish to convey. Much more accurate would be to say that I had "different expectations".

These expectations were not only based on glowing reviews I had read but also on the fact that I quite regularly stay in b&bs wherever I go in Italy. I have probably stayed in at least 10 just this year, all over Italy. What I have come to typically expect from an Italian b&b is not just a lot more airy space, but a lot more zest in the decor, and freshness. None of the b&bs where I stay have luxury furnishings, but they have an appealing aesthetic. That latter word is subjective, so I am sure d'Azeglio is for many people cozy and, as some one else said, just what they are looking for.

But by objective standards for Italy, most b&bs are converted from buildings and apartments that have quite spacious rooms, so I was surprised to that the one I booked in d'Azeglio was not that by any objective measure.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

jamikins - we also use the room for a nice hot shower, a glass (or two?) of wine, and a good night's sleep. We are out and about for as long as we can, always. So it sounds like we are good for this place.

phillyboy - thanks for your input. I also believe that this place gets its high ratings more for the people who run it than anything else. All else considered good or very good, this is something I regard as very important personally. So nice to get that feedback as well.

sandra - thanks for the feedback on bologna nel cuore. I had looked at this some time ago but somehow remembered it to be much more expensive than what I see now when checking again. Definitely competitive and the apartments look great. Have sent them a request and thank you again.

Thanks all.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Flame - one thing we were impressed by was the water pressure - no need to worry there!

Whatever you decide - have a fabulous time, you will enjoy whatever you choose I am sure!!!!
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Flame123,

If you haven't done this already, you might do a search for apartments in Bologna for booking.com. You can filter your search to show you only apartments ("property type") and only ones with air-con + wi-fi ("room facility"). You can also use your real travel dates, which is important for Bologna, because prices swing wildly during trade fairs, so what is somebody's recommendation for "cheap" based on their stay outside of a trade fair period can turn out to be unaffordable for somebody else.

If you find something you like on booking.com, try contacting the owners directly to see if they will give you a better price for a 5 night stay.