Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ayse Hanim Mansion Hotel, Urgup --and general Cappadocia advice

Feb 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

I am working on the itinerary for our ((family of 4) upcoming trip to Turkey, which will include about 4 days in Cappadocia. Looking at our budget, we can EITHER stay at one of the more upscale cave hotels and not do a balloon trip, OR stay at a more modest place and go ballooning. They have chosen the ballooning option, and I have identified the Ayse Hanim mansion in Urgup, ($35/night for a double, and has a pool) but cannot find anything on the boards about it. Has anyone stayed there or seen it that can give me any feedback? We just want a quiet, simple place, but not one of the anonomous new hotels.

Also- do we need to book in advance for the ballooning for mid-June? We want one of the shorter trips--any advice on which company, and whether to book directly through the company or a tour?

And finally-- Hattusas in our guidebook looks wonderful, but I haven't read much about it elsewhere. As we will be driving from Ankara, we are wondering whether to make the detour, and if so, how long it might take to drive from Hattusas to Urgup.

Thanks so much
Feb 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM

ttt for jmelts
Feb 12th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I haven't been to Turkey yet but we are planning our trip for May/June. I recommend checking out www.turkeytravelplanner.com for some great info! The founder of the site answers many questions. He co-wrote the Lonely Planet Turkey a few years ago.

I am planning on posting a detailed trip report when I return. I will let you know about our ballooning experience.

Cheers!
Feb 15th, 2005, 02:54 AM

Jmelts hi, there are other options for you at cappodicia. there is no need te book for the balloning if the weather is ok you can go. From hattusas to cappadocia about 3 or 4 hours but from ankara then hattusat then cappodicai is very mixed if you want we can arrange a car with a driver for you. Since Hattusas is near Corum( city) you can confuse Hattusas is in Bogazkale which is near to Corum if you need more helps please contact me have a nice trip
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I highly recommend a Hot air balloon flight. I know eher the Mansion you have mentioned but not seen their rooms. Rate is good though. Earlier is better to book your ballooning. deluxe flight at Kapadokya Balloons are simply great.

Have fun
Mar 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Cappadocia, 4 days, absolutely good enough time to tour the area. You may stay in Urgup. I stayed in Tassaray Hotel right in the center of the city and walking distance to restaurants, shops to everything and anything. I found out the hotel caters to their tour groups but, walk in customers are honored as well. The company who owns the hotel also have 8 room cave hotel in Goreme. I toured the place. It is just beautifully decorated and very classy. 4 days is plenty to tour the area. There are two underground cities; one is Kaymakli about 20 Km. and the other is Derinlikuyu about 60 Km. Derinlikuyu is more interesting then Kaymakli. It goes, I think about 7 floors down underground. There is a near by town called "Soganli" about 58 Km. away. Again, it has lots of sites to visit. Make sure to go to Mustafa Kemal Pasha town in Cappadocia and see the three sites there. Climb up to Uc Hisar, you will have a wonderful, spectacular view of the entire area. Make sure to include red wine from Cappadocia with your dinners. They region produces some of the best red wines but not enough to be exported or consumed in other parts of Turkey. No need to make reservations for the balloon rides. There are several agencies they will make the booking for you once you are there. Ask your hotel to divert you for an evening entertainment in one of the caves. It is about $20-$30/person, in most of the places the price includes your dinner and they have folk dancers throughout the evening.

I will be in Cappadocia in June and will stay at Tassaray Hotel. May be we will see you around in town.

Have a very nice trip and good time.
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Hi jmelts,

I am sure many of our friends answer your questions BUT HATTUSHA to URGUP question is till unknown.

Anyhow if you drive to Hattusha keep in your mind:

1) Visit ALACAHOYUK before Hattusha
2) Stay in Alacahoyuk (BOGAZKALE is new name). Asikoglu Tesisleri I recommend you (The best place in town)

If you follow my recommendation you will be happy.
Lets come to you question about the road between Hattusha to Urgup. Follow the road:
Yozgat to Bogazliyan then to AVANOS not URGUP Because Urgup road is little bit longer then Avanos, and Hattusha to Avanos road takes 2 or 3 hours depand on your driving. (Finally answered you question).

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz