Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris flea markets, d'Aligre and Porte de Vanves. Have you been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to Saint Ouen several times but not to Porte de Vanves or Marche d'Aligre. Has anyone been to either of those recently? Best day and time to go? I am not looking for anything specific maybe a small treasure or two. What was your best find?
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:40 AM

The flea market at d'Aligre occupies the small square on weekends; the adjacent food markets and stalls operate daily except Monday. My eye knows only what I have seen on Antiques Roadshow, but whatever "treasures" might be found must be well-hidden by the motley array, which looked more like thrift-shop leftovers to me. Good choices for a meal or drinks surround Place d'Aligre. Here is a second opinion: http://paris.unlike.net/locations/30...arche-d-Aligre
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Southam, thank you. Looks like Le Baron Rouge makes the list!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM

We love the Porte vanves market and go every time we are in paris. C'mon, Southam. I'd guess you aren't an "antiquer" and "collector of stuff". If you want Antiques Roadshow stuff, then go to Saint Ouen and pay the price. And at least at Vanves, we have found "treasures" to us. Algire, don't know. Vanves is only Saturday and sunday, and with any "real" flea market, go early on the first day for the best choice. It stretches for several blocks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM

Marche Aligre has been called, I read, Paris' only Marche aux forains (sp?) or street market with itinerant traders and yes this seems a down-scale market with a few exceptions to me - really cheap used clothes, etc. And vendors who did not to me at least seem as friendly as in other markets. The food market nearby has really cheap prices IME for veggies and fruits - avocados 5 for 1 euro last time I recall.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Every time I have been to the Vanves market, I have been disappointed, but some of my friends love it. I just prefer Clignancourt because it is my "home" market so I know it like the back of my hand, and since it is by far the biggest, I can find everything that I am looking for and more. I think many people just give up in Clignancourt because it is so huge and they don't know where to go.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:34 PM

I agree, kerouac, that Porte de Vanves is disappointing, but it may be worth a trip once.

I love Clignancourt. As far as prices, there is a very wide range. There is always something of interest, and a good place to learn.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:54 PM

We too always go to Vanves and I always find a treasure ! I don't like St Ouen . IMO it is a lots of shops masquerading as flea market stalls. d'Aligre has mostly junk other than the food halls but as noted above Le Baron Rouge is nearby!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I don't even look at the shops at the Clignancourt flea market. The real flea market is several streets away.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

<The real flea market is several streets away.>

What streets are they?
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM

Went to Varnes last year. Don't think I will bother to go back. I didn't find it worth the time....
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Kerouac may be splitting hairs a bit. There are a number of markets that converge. As you get off the Clignancourt metro you will go through some shops and stalls of junk--real "flea" market stuff like you'd see on a US interstate. Go past these a few blocks and then you are in the Paris flea market with a lot of antique stalls and shops. Many are "branches" of Paris shops.
Yes, maybe you can find something. That is the nature of "antiquing"--you never know what is going to catch your eye. Many of the shops are highly specialized--belle epoque mirrors, chandeliers, etc.
Vanves is a street market for antiques/junk and to me is lots of fun--for the hunt.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:54 AM

the real flea market I think yes means a street market selling low-brow junk and clothing like spreads over many streets in and around the Peripherique if i recall - the upscale 'flea' market in the buildings is a flea market in name only.

the few times I went to P Vannes yes I too was way underwhelmed with the relatively few stalls there.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Really--no stalls!! When we have gone (Saturday is THE day) it stretched from the intersection at the Metro for 3 blocks up the hill, both sides of the sidewalk, and then up into a little square at the top of the hill for many more stalls/tables. I like it for the "little" stuff--there's no furniture of any note for sure. I have picked up some nice little stuff. DD has a really "neat" silver fork mold. A good bit of "art"--you just have to see what it is. DD also bought a HUGE French flag for their antique shop. When they walked down the street with it over the shoulder, the guy at the top started playing the Marseillaise!!
The description of Clignancourt and the Peripherique is correct.
My parents lived in Paris in the 20's and went to it when it WAS a real March aux Puces!!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, how I would have loved to see it then!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM

I don't consider that a flea market (people selling stuff on the street regularly at Clignancourt), but I guess it depends what that word means to you.

I didn't care for Vanves the one time I was there, nothing much of interest and not very big. There weren't "stalls" there, people come in and set up their area/table whatever you call it, they don't have elaborate stalls or permanent ones like at Clignancourt. It's a temporary street flea market.

Aligre is downscale and is junk.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Really--no stalls!! When we have gone (Saturday is THE day) it stretched from the intersection at the Metro for 3 blocks up the hill, both sides of the sidewalk, and then up into a little square at the top of the hill for many more stalls/tables>

I guess me and Christina have a different view of what stalls are - rather permanent stalls as opposed to folks with a little table or on pavement. And certain days may be slower than others - I actually went last one August and that could be a down time for such Parisian things.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Well, gee. It IS a real street in Paris that once a week is a market. Might be hard to have 'stalls'. No, just tables, like a lot of flea markets in the US. We have fun, and do find things for some things I like.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:13 PM

gomiki, while you're in Paris, keep an eye out for posters/signs advertising brocantes or vide-greniers. They take place on streets all over Paris on weekends through the year.

There may be something going on while you're there>
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -