Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Avignon to Bordeaux ... take the train or drive - which?

Jun 11th, 2018, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

With our trip to France, one leg is to move from Avignon to Bordeaux. We're doing this in late June and so given the 5-6 hour travel time ... should we take the train or drive? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ciao ... Dorm
Jun 11th, 2018, 03:37 AM

What are your plans after Bordeaux? If none take the train. Book at www.oui.sncf - check www.seat61.com for lots on that.
Jun 11th, 2018, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

We will need to have a car while in Bordeaux as we're adding another couple in the trip. The car rental fare per day is pretty cheap, so I asked more from an overall enjoyment - ease of trip perspective. I think we have decided to stick with the car given the tasks to unload our gear at the apartment, get people from the airport the next morning ... and we have to get another car anyway. I'd thought to take Uber or a taxi from the apartment to the airport to get our friends, but the taxi estimate was ~ 50 euro one way, so I'll keep the car for another day.
Thanks ...
Ciao ... Dorm
Jun 11th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Enjoyment would be better IMO with a car - stop off for lunch in some small town - trains are not super fast on that route so driving may be just as quick or quicker. Maybe stop off at Cacassonne or some neat place too - though not sure that is on the direct route.
Jun 11th, 2018, 06:30 AM

You could drive 45 mins to Nimes, return the car there, and then take one of the several 5 hr no-train-change trains to Bordeaux.

The drive to Bordeaux will take 5 1/2-6 hrs and is very boring. Gas & toll fees are around 100E. I bet that a regular taxi from the Bordeaux airport will be less than 50E - but you will probably need a taxi to get from the train station to your hotel. Couldn't the people arriving at the airport pick up a car?

I would not enjoy a 6 hr all-autoroute drive (I've driven every stretch of that autoroute many times - but never all at once). Breaking up the drive at Carcassonne would be a good idea.

Stu Dudley
Jun 11th, 2018, 06:37 AM

But, if needing car upon arrival in Bordeaux best to keep car and drive, right. And, don't have to barrel straight thru but yes a neat stop
Jun 11th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Pal - I didn't see any real "need" in the OP's statement. Only dropping of bags at the apt (can be done by taxi from the train station) and picking up friends the next day (friends can take a taxi to the apt, or rent a car & drive to apt). No mention of any other "drives" around Bordeaux those first few days. The car(s) certainly won't be needed to visit Bordeaux, and can become a nuisance if the apt does not provide parking.

We've driven into Bordeaux twice to sightsee when we stayed nearby in the Dordogne, and we've also driven in to pick up my FIL at the airport, and we've also flown into Bordeaux & taxied to our hotel for a 2 night visit then picked jup a car upon departure. Traffic around the airport & into Bordeaux can be challenging. I would not look forward to taking the time to get into the car, drive to the airport (rush hour?), meet friends, back to Apt, find parking, etc. That will take a chunk out of the day for someone who is probably already on a too short vacation - and drove for 6+ hours on the prior day. I like taxis to/from airports. We're taking 3 to/froms this year (CDG twice & LHR).

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley
Jun 11th, 2018, 08:22 AM

There is no reason whatsoever you NEED to drive a car to the airport to pick up friends, unless they are incompetent or have some mental or physical problems. Otherwise, as grown adults, they can get from the airport into town themself, just like zillions of other people manage to do.
Jun 12th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
There is no reason whatsoever you NEED to drive a car to the airport to pick up friends, unless they are incompetent or have some mental or physical problems.
Amen Christina

We have free parking at the apartment we're staying at so that is not an issue. We still need a car while in Bordeaux as we will do a fare amount touring wineries while there. Our apartment is in the Chartrons area of Bordeaux, and a car rental site is ~1.5mi away, so to grab a car from the apt is easy. This will be the 3rd week of our trip with one more final week remaining, which is slotted for Paris. We will take the train to Paris - definitely don't want a car there.

Stu ... I like the idea you posed as I do not relish driving along an interstate for 5.5 hrs. I will look further into car return, taking the train from Nimes and where this drops us off in Bordeaux. We can likely taxi or Uber from the train station to the apartment.

As always ... thanks to all for your helpful comments.

Ciao ... Dorm

Last edited by dorm57; Jun 12th, 2018 at 05:43 AM.
Jun 12th, 2018, 01:41 PM

If you did not need to barrel straight thru to Bordeaux driving as mentioned could be conducive to stopping for a few hours say at Carcassonne or other neat place. Might you not get a better deal renting for longer time than two shorter ones? Curious.