Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Avignon restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/avignon-restaurants-308491/)

LVSue Apr 18th, 2003 09:30 PM

Avignon restaurants

Leaving for Avignon/Paris the 28th. We plan a lot of day excursions with dinner in Avignon. Any good ideas for moderate eating in A? ($20 ea.) I've read about l'Epicerie here and plan to hit that one.

Mariarosa Apr 19th, 2003 04:39 AM

LVSue, is the $20 for only food (not including wine?). <BR><BR>If so, I have 3 recommendations:<BR>1. Cousscousserie de l'Horloge (on the place de l'horloge - 2nd floor). Delicious and cheap.<BR><BR>2. D'ici et d'ailleurs (on Rue Galante - just off Place de 'Horloge)- At 18 E for a 3-course meal, this was our the best-value meal, not the best meal, but quite edible.<BR><BR>3. Tapaslocas (Just off the Pl. de l'Horloge). Not exactly authentic tapas, but they were good, simple, and cheap. The place had GREAT atmosphere.<BR><BR>These are above your range, but still quite reasonable for the quality of the food:<BR>1. Le Grand Cafe (4 rue des Escaliers Ste Anne), this place was our favorite. guidebooks was our favorite. The Prix-fixe was either 26 or 28 Euros.<BR><BR>2. Au Petit Bedon (70 rue Joseph Vernet). The prix-fixe was 25 and 35 euros.<BR><BR>3. Le Chandelier (29 rue de la Sarailleise, the street that connects Place de l'Horloge with Pl. Didier). The prix-fixe was 25 euros.

LVSue Apr 19th, 2003 08:08 AM

Mariarosa, these sound great! I probably should have said 20-30 euro (not incl wine). I just figure we'll be too tired to enjoy a really deluxe meal.

Mariarosa Apr 19th, 2003 12:54 PM

You're welcome LVSue! You won't have a hard time finding plenty of restaurants in Avignon in that price range. Some were closed for the season when we were there in March, they were reopening mid-April (like L'Epicerie).

Gretchen Apr 19th, 2003 01:24 PM

La Fourchette--make reservations. And there is an all cheese restaurant on a small back street going up toward the Palais. It has a cow on its sign--VERY good--cheese and salads with many selections.

MelissaHI Apr 20th, 2003 01:47 AM

Ooooh, my favorite in Avignon was L'Epicerie. I liked their sampler platter best, but everything was good. Go early if you do not have reservations.

richardsonsnm Apr 20th, 2003 09:48 AM

the restaurant in the Hotel La Mirande, just across from the popes palace is excellent, we had rack of veal, elegant atmosphere, but relaxed. dinner only.

cigalechanta Apr 20th, 2003 10:29 AM

That Mirande is tres cher but the best restaurant for the splurge is Heilly Luccalus. <BR>Happy Easter everyone, my lamb is in the oven and my dog awaits with baited breath.

Frequent_Flyer Apr 22nd, 2003 09:30 AM

If it's warm enough, try Le Vernet - on the street with the same name. It's wonderful to dine there on a warm evening - I travel there for work quite often (leaving tonight, in fact), and my colleagues often take me there. . .

Dave Apr 22nd, 2003 09:57 AM

Seconding the recommendation from FreqFlyer.....Le Vernet is a GREAT place for a &quot;warm&quot; nite's meal....<BR><BR>Have a great trip!! Best wishes, Dave

cigalechanta Apr 22nd, 2003 10:31 AM

Before you go, I want to tell you that Fourchette doesn't take credit cards.<BR>Have a wonderfu time. I spent two weeks alone there and was never bored.