Avignon,Nimes,Arles walking distances

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background-We're headed to France mid Feb. for our 30th anniversary(first trip to France). First 3.5 days we'll be in Avignon. Then we're onto Paris for 6 days. We are not renting a car due to short days,cost,unfamiliar territory,etc. I know it's reccomended to see the small villages, but that will another trip. So-------

In Avignon, how long of a walk is it from the main train station to Place de L'Horloge? We'll be using the train/bus several times, so I'm wondering if a hotel close to that area would be advised(although I'd rather stay more north where it looks like a better place to base for evening times).

I'm thinking of doing 2 day trips to Nimes and Arles by train. The Roman ruins interest us. Is Nimes too big of a city to see on foot? We are good walkers, but don't want to get overwhelmed. In Arles we'd plan to visit the Sat. market, then just explore.

We are flexible for bad weather or if a trip to the tourist office reaps info on a bus tour that sounds good. We know our timing isn't ideal for getting the full flavor of Provence, but we want to make the best of it. Any other ideas would be welcome! Thanks for all the great help you all have to share!!

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Avignon and Arles are smaller than you might think, especially the inner city parts that are typically of greatest interest to tourists.

The distance from the old railway station in Avignon (the one directly opposite La Porte de la République) to Place de l'Horloge is about a kilometre. It takes perhaps 15 minutes, or even less if you're in a hurry. (Just in case you're arriving at the Avignon TGV station, it's on the southern edge of Avignon, several kilometres from the city centre. You can take a taxi to your hotel or take the shuttle bus, which will deliver you to La Porte de la République.)

There are numerous hotels in the old city area of Avignon and things like the Palais des Papes and the Pont St-Bénézet are all within an easy stroll.

Arles is similar ... once you're in the city centre, most things you might want to see are within an easy walk. Les Alyscamps are a bit further, but still walkable. (By the way, if you have a chance to visit the Cloître St-Trophime in Arles, it is remarkably well-preserved. You'll feel like you are stepping back into 12th century when you enter.)

I'm less familiar with Nîmes, having only been there once. My impression, though, was that you could easily walk to the major sites.

Anselm
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM

walking briskly from the place de l'horologe to the main train station should take you 10-15 minutes. and you are right, you are probably better off a bit away from the train station for walking around in the evenings.

a day trip by train to arles sounds like a good idea. instead of nimes, you might want to consider st. remy and les baux - this would give you a feel for some of the provençal countryside and a nice change/contrast with avignon and arles. nimes is well worth the visit, but maybe save it for another time.

-kevin
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:38 AM

It is easy and simple to walk from the Avignon train station to the Place de l'Horloge. As the other poster said, the city is not as big as it appears on maps. Everything is easily navigable.

Nimes is wonderful - do go there! Again, you can walk from the train station up the long boulevard towards the "Arene". Just outside the Arene area, there is a tourist train that costs less than 10 euros and it goes around the entire city, pointing out the areas of interest (the Maison Carree, Jardin de la Fontaine with roman ruins of lookout tower in park, etc). It is a worthwhile and interesting thing to do to orient you to the places to see in Nimes. Afterwards, you can walk there yourselves to explore further. Also, you can take a bus from the bus station (adjacent to the train station) to the nearby Pont du Gard. You won't want to miss that as it is magnificent.

Arles is easy to walk around on foot too. The city centre is very compact, the Roman amphitheatre (or "arene&quot is within blocks of the Roman theatre ruins, the Medieval St. Trophime Church, Les Alyscamps cemetery (Elysian Fields) located just outside the town walls, as well as the Place du Forum/cafe terrace where Van Gogh painted this famous painting.

Have a wonderful trip and congratulations on your 30th wedding anniversary!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I stayed in Avignon 9/03 and took the bus to Arles - the bus station is right next to the old train station. I also took two bus "tours" to St. Remy Wed. a.m. market and also to Rousillion (sp) and Gordes. It wasn't really a tour, the bus takes you there and then picks you up at a certain time - plenty of time to see everything. Can't remember the name of the tour bus tour, but you can get info from the TI office in Avignon right on the main street. The bus co. is on the other side of the old train station from the regular bus station. Hope that's not too confusing.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM

All the stations (the Avignon-Ville, or old train station as opposed to the new TGV station two miles from town are, for you as 'good walkers' an easy mosey from everything of interest. Though Nimes is a bigger town its few major sights, its fabulous Roman relics, are clustered together. Arles is the smallest town. No problem and you won't have to take public transport in these three towns.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Huitres is right -- Nimes is wonderful. The Maison Carre is the best preserved Roman temple in the world. A bus trip to Pont du Gard is almost mandatory. Breathtaking in its engineering and beauty.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM
ira

Hi ME,

If you go to www.mappy.com and enter your walk, it will give you pedestrian routes and walking times.

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much for all the your replies. I really appreciate all the valuable info and great ideas!!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Hi

just agree that Avignon, Arles & Nimes are small enough to be walkable.

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM
sandi

another two-cents here - all three are easily walkable.