Search

Avignon hotel without creditcard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avignon hotel without creditcard

Hello,

We are planning a vacation in Avignon in september for a week.
Unfortunately we don't own a creditcard so we can't book a hotelroom on the internet.
Does anyone have any suggestions of hotels or sites where you can reserve a hotel without instantly paying with credit card?
Our preference goes to a decent but inexpensive hotel.

Thanks on advance

Greetings

Sofie.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Every bank I know of will give you a debit card with your checking account. All you have to do is ask.

Your spending limit is equal to your account balance, as the funds for expenditures come directly out of it.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:30 AM

I would not recommend using a debit card for making a hotel reservation. If they put a hold on the card for the room, that could result in an immediate debit to your checking account. I never use a debit card for either hotel or rental car reservations -- the hold on a credit card is not debited until you use it, whereas the hold on a debit card is or can be immediately debited from your checking account.

I would get a credit card just for the purpose of reserving a hotel and then pay cash when you get there.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:36 AM

I think you asked about this before--one suggestion was to send traveler's checks for a deposit. Most hotels do want a credit card for a guarantee, but most do not put through an immediate charge; the number is used only if you fail to appear for the reservation.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM

I imagine there are some hotels that will do this if you mail them a day's deposit. I don't think you'll find any general hotel booking site that will allow that, as the reservation wouldn't be guaranteed by anything.

I'd suggest you contact hotels directly, especially smaller, budget hotel (which you want, anyway). Here is a good webpage with a listing of 2* hotels in Avignon with their contact information. Try some on there like the Angelterre or Medieval. I stayed at the Medieval and they were very nice there and it's not far from the central square.

http://www.web-provence.com/hotels/avignon-2.htm

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Here is the website of a 1* hotel I know in Avignon, which has a great central location. I found it before for someone on here looking for a very cheap but decent hotel in Avignon, with good location -- and I do remember someone posting back and saying it was a good hotel for that price. It does look very nice online for that level. In any case, they give directions on their web site as to how to reserve without a credit card:

http://www.hotel-mignon.com/
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I have used a debit card to reserve hotels, cars, and aircraft rentals a hundred times and never had a hold put on one.

I have also used a credit card, and in many cases, the pre-auth was instantaneous, reducing my available credit by thousands of dollars. In fact, that's a major reason I don't mess with them any more.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

My banker friend says that the reason I've never had a hold on a debit transaction is that it's tied to a demand deposit account that has deposits and withdrawals going on all the time.

Thus, the merchant's purpose in pre-authorizing a hotel bill (making sure the charge will go through) would not be fulfilled as it is with a credit card.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM

I actually thought the idea of a "hold" on a debit card was impossible or kind of odd, but I don't use them myself, so wasn't sure. I only use regular credit cards and an ATM card.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Robespierre

Don't let your secret out about debit cards or the bankers and credit card companies won't be too happy with you. Most of America doesn't realize you can go through life without a credit card.

mccoy016 - there is nothing unfortunate about not owning a credit card. What is unfortunate is that credit card companies send out cards to dead people, kids and dogs. I wonder how that poodle in New Orleans who got 2 credit cards and a check cashing card is doing? Vacationing in Paris?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:46 AM

rj007, most rental car companies will not rent to you if you only have a debit card. When I was in Ireland, they put a $1500 hold on my Plat Mastercard. Didn't charge me, but put a hold in case I crashed their car. If they were to do the same with a debit card, it would take a big chunk out of one's checking account.

Same with using a debit card when you check into a hotel. Most hotels put a hold on one's credit card for incidentals (phone calls, room service, etc) when one checks in. That "hold" would come out of one's checking account. If not used, it would be put back, but who wants to go thru the hassle?

My advice would be -- get a credit card, even if you don't use it.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Follow me through here:

If a hotel puts a hold on a debit card, the cardholder can write a check on the account that will empty it out before the merchant can run the charge (a hold does not reduce the balance in a demand deposit account, only a charge does). Therefore, there's no point in running the hold.

Therefore, they don't.

That said, it is the policy of <u>some</u> merchants to immediately charge either a debit or credit card (forcing you to pre-pay your bill) when you make the reservation. Especially if your card expires within the next 12 months (an indicator of creditworthyness). Mine don't, so I have never had this happen to me.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I've noticed the www.hrs.de site has many hotels in Europe that don't require a credit card for reservation, provided you show up before 4 PM or 6 PM. I can't say if they have anything in Avignon.

I would have a credit card to travel to Europe even if I didn't use it. If you have an emergency in Europe of some sort, sometimes an instant source of cash is required. It doesn't seem like a good security practice not to have one while traveling.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:02 AM

If you present a VISA or Mastercard to a hotel, and they put a hold on that card for misc expenses you might incur (most hotels do this), let's say for $100, and your credit limit is $1000, you can only charge $900 until that hold is taken off.

Same for a VISA debit card. If you have $1000 in your checking account, and the hotel puts a $100 hold on your debit card, your available balance in your checking account will only be $900.

Most hotels run the hold. That's my story, verified my multiple sources, and I'm sticking to it.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Maybe brokerage account cards are a little more flexible than some others, since several dollars worth of stocks &amp; bonds back them up.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Budman

Hertz will let you rent with a debit card and Avis will let you prepay. As Robespierre noted you can use debit cards to make reservations. Also, you can prepay the first night. I've yet to have a hotel or B&amp;B owner turn me down.

WillTravel - I always take more than I think I will need. The only time I had an immediate need for money was in London a few years ago when I didn't have enough cash on hand for the hotel bill. Luckily, I went to the bank to make the only withdrawal in 8 years of having an account there. This was also the last time I stayed in central London. Now, stay in the suburbs for 45% less.

Credit card companies and banks get rich because people can't control their credit card spending. Many people don't even know you can get a lower interest rate on your card simply by asking. Better yet, get out of debt, save money and life becomes a heck a lot more enjoyable.