Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Avignon/Dijon rental car pick up/drop off

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Chris

We are planning to pick up a car in Avignon, and drop off in Dijon. Based on past experience (3 hours to drive to center of Florence, Italy, getting endlessly lost and stuck with one-way streets, and pedestrian streets), we want to pick up in Avignon at a location easy to get out of town from, and - more importantly - drop off in Dijon at a location easy to find from the Arles-Dijon route. We don't care if we have to take a taxi ride to our central hotel.

The car rental company have locations at the TGV, old train station, and airport in Avignon, and, in Dijon, they have an airport and two downtown locations.

Any recommendations? (our rental is with autoeurope, which is associated with europecar, I believe). Thanks! Chris

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 03:37 AM
PB

For the pick up in Avignon, the closest to the highway is the airport, just outside town. It's only about five minutes from the entrance to the autoroute heading north.

PB

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Old Fashioned

Chris,

We just rented from Avis two weeks ago and picked up the car at the train station in Avignon. The central station by the old city walls, not the TGV station.

It was convenient since we arrived by train and stayed in Avignon. Avis office is literally right beside the train station and the cars are in the garage about 100 yards from train station entrance. We had no real troubles acccessing the main highways, including the A7, or the A9.

Another alternative to consider.

OF

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Chris

Thanks for the info. Any comments about Dijon? Is it relatively easy to drive into the center of town?

Is there such a thing as a driving map of the town that would show one-way and pedestrian only streets? Part of our problem in Florence was that we only had a tourist (foot) map.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Mary

I've bought French city maps in North America, and they do show what streets are one-way (all of them as far as I can tell). You can certainly get a map of Dijon at a bookstore in France. If you don't mind printing out a whole bunch of little maps, go to viamichelin.com. It's a great site, which lists all of the recommended hotels and restaurants from the red guide (with a bit more detail), gives driving directions, and maps.

For driving directions you plug in your starting point and destination and select the type of drive (quickest, shortest, most scenic), and it will give detailed written directions (flagging places with recommended restaurants and hotels) and a map with the route shown as a highlighted line.

You can also request a map of a particular place, and if you keep pushing the + sign you will get to a resolution that shows the direction of the streets.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Mary

I've bought French city maps in North America, and they do show what streets are one-way (all of them as far as I can tell). You can certainly get a map of Dijon at a bookstore in France. If you don't mind printing out a whole bunch of little maps, go to viamichelin.com. It's a great site, which lists all of the recommended hotels and restaurants from the red guide (with a bit more detail), gives driving directions, and maps.

For driving directions you plug in your starting point and destination and select the type of drive (quickest, shortest, most scenic), and it will give detailed written directions (flagging places with recommended restaurants and hotels) and a map with the route shown as a highlighted line.

You can also request a map of a particular place, and if you keep pushing the + sign you will get to a resolution that shows the direction of the streets.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Rick

CHRIS:I drove & park throughout Dijon with ease last year. It's easier than Beaune where the streets are more pedestrian oriented.

MARY: Thanks for the Viamichelin site. For years I made enlarged copies of the maps inside the red hotel guidebooks prior to any trip. I throw them away as I passed each town rather than bringing the book with me.
Today I tried getting some maps of the smaller towns that actually exist in the guidebook but kept getting blanks. I wonder why?