Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Avignon Central Train Station - restaurants? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/avignon-central-train-station-restaurants-991290/)

annesherrod Sep 8th, 2013 05:10 PM

Avignon Central Train Station - restaurants?

Hi,
We will have about 1.5 hours here before a shuttle picks us up to take us to Mazan for the bike trip.

We thought we would try to eat here instead of storing luggage etc ..

Is there a sit down restaurant here?

Thanks

annesherrod Sep 8th, 2013 05:12 PM

Well - I just googled it and these 2 came up.

Oh Poivrier!
Hours: Monday, Friday, Sunday, 11:30 am to 5 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm
Salad Dream
Hours: Monday to Friday, 5:30 am to 9 pm
Saturday, Sunday and holidays, 6 am to 9 pm

StuDudley Sep 8th, 2013 08:40 PM

There are scads of sit down restaurants in Avignon. But I would not plan a trip where I arrived by train, and then had to meet a shuttle 1 1/2 hrs later - and also fit in a lunch between the two events. Lots of stress, and I don't think I would enjoy the lunch at all. Pick up a sandwich at the train station.

Mazan has nice restaurants.

Stu Dudley

kerouac Sep 8th, 2013 10:31 PM

Oh Poivrier! and Salad Dream are in Avignon TGV, not Avignon Centre. The place in Avignon Centre is called "Pub Station." It's open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.

annesherrod Sep 9th, 2013 08:21 AM

Ah! Thanks for the clarification Kerouac.

artfan Sep 9th, 2013 02:23 PM

By the way, I don't think there is a place to store luggage at that train station anyway. I think maybe there was storage there at one time. But if you end up having more time than you think you will, there are several restaurants within very easy walk of train station.

Waldo Sep 9th, 2013 03:25 PM

The nicest meal I had on a visit to Avignon was also the most economical. Getting out of the train station, and walking down the main street in the town, we shortly came to a McDonalds. We did not go into the McDonalds, but we went down a flight of stairs to to COIN department store deli department. They had an amazing choice of cold cuts and meats that were mouth watering. We asked the man behind the counter if he would make sandwiches for us. He said he had no bread, but upstairs, adjacent to McD was a bakery. We went up and bought some real fresh bread and went back downstairs and gave the man the loaves. He made SUPER sandwiches for us and we also bought a bottle of good wine, with the man giving us some plastic cups. We went back upstairs with our freshly made delights and walked about 200 feet to the large carousel in the center of the square. We sat on a bench, unwrapped our dinner and proceeded to have a feast. We were not the only ones doing that. It seems that's the norm in the town. The reason for our joy was that this was a completely unexpected situation. That's the joy of travel. If you don't have much time, the deli and the carousel are about a five minute walk from the train station.

annesherrod Sep 9th, 2013 03:52 PM

Waldo - that is a nice story. I like unexpected delights too!