Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   AVE Train ticket purchase in Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ave-train-ticket-purchase-in-spain-1109584/)

pittner2 May 26th, 2016 11:21 AM

AVE Train ticket purchase in Spain

I cannot successfully purchase an AVE train ticket on the www.renfe.com website. After I enter my credit card and click purchase, it just says error cannot be completed at this time. I have tried different train times, etc. and always same message. I then clicked on more purchase options, and got to a screen for passenger identification, and I just keep getting a message that says check phone number highlighted in red. It is my correct phone number every time! I tried with my home, and then my cell, and then my husband's cell. It just won't let me purchase. HELP! I'm going from Madrid to Malaga in July.

dweislaw May 26th, 2016 11:44 AM

Try www.petrabax.com
The Renfe site has a reputation to be troublesome at times.

PalenQ May 26th, 2016 11:53 AM

check www.seat61.com for possible insights on that. Yup a slew of complaints about the renfe.com site working for Americans.

Christina May 26th, 2016 12:02 PM

I've had problems with Renfe using my CC but it worked with Paypal.

thursdaysd May 26th, 2016 12:06 PM

I didn't have any problems with it last fall. Did you include the country code with your phone number?

Christina May 26th, 2016 12:07 PM

oh, if your sole problem is the form doesn't like the way you put in your phone number, perhaps you didn't put it in the right format.

I just checked my Renfe account and it just has my regular US mobile phone number so it must have accepted it (10 digits, area code then number). No dashes. You do have to select the right international code in the box for that. (for US it is +1)

pittner2 May 26th, 2016 12:19 PM

Oh you are right about the +1. Thank you so much for that. I got through that screen, went to credit card payment, and it just keeps saying cannot process at this time, sorry. I just tried 3 times. Any other suggestions? Should I keep trying? Any better time of day?

thursdaysd May 26th, 2016 12:25 PM

Have you told your bank you are doing a foreign transaction? Which type of CC?

pittner2 May 26th, 2016 12:30 PM

Just a regular visa card. I have used this card to purchase train tickets in France from home and had no problems last year.

IMDonehere May 26th, 2016 12:34 PM

Call Visa and tell them the problem, they will some how make an exception.

dweislaw May 26th, 2016 12:38 PM

From seat61:
How to buy tickets & check train times: You can buy tickets at any Renfe station or online at www.renfe.com following the advice on using Renfe.com below. Wherever you live, this is the cheapest and best option. However, if you have any problem with Renfe.com, you can now buy Spanish train tickets very easily and at similar prices with just a small booking fee added at www.raileurope-world.com or www.petrabax.com/renfe in plain English with no payment problems and still with print-at-home tickets. Alternatively, if you live in the UK you can buy Spanish train tickets by phone from Renfe's UK agent, www.spanish-rail.co.uk who charge the Renfe price plus a €10 fee. At the time of writing, the UK-based Rail Europe can only sell full price tickets for Spanish domestic trains, they cannot sell Promo or Promo+ fares.

I couldn't get Renfe.com to work last summer and followed seat61's advice for Petrabax and had no issues.

elberko May 26th, 2016 01:14 PM

I also used petrabax, and had no problem.

pittner2 May 26th, 2016 01:23 PM

OMG you are so awesome! I just booked on petrabax site. So easy. So now do I just take my printed receipt with locator number, my same credit card and passport to a renfe station in Madrid to get my actual tickets?

elberko May 26th, 2016 01:46 PM

your ticket should be in PDF form attached to the email.

pittner2 May 26th, 2016 02:01 PM

I got the email confirmation, it says tickets will be sent to email in 24hrs.

I can't thank you enough for this help! I'm so excited for our first trip to Spain.

dweislaw May 26th, 2016 03:21 PM

Enjoy. Spain is a wonder.

PalenQ May 27th, 2016 12:40 PM

See so easy after all with the sage advice you got above.