Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   AVE Madrid to Cordoba to Seville (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ave-madrid-to-cordoba-to-seville-203330/)

Marko Apr 21st, 2002 10:11 PM

AVE Madrid to Cordoba to Seville

Anyone have any hints or tips for this journey, we leave Madrid early and have arranged to spend 7 hours in Cordoba before heading to Seville. Is a taxi necessary to get to sights in Cordoba ? Whats the fod like on the AVE ? Are the luggage lockers safe ? A restaurant or cafe for Lunch ? Thanks

Juanito Apr 22nd, 2002 10:18 AM

Marko,<BR><BR>Check out the message boards at www.MadridMan.com for LOTS of specific information about Spain.<BR><BR>I've taken the AVE from Madrid to Cordoba, the lockers are safe, I don't remember the food. It's probably fair/average.

marko Apr 23rd, 2002 03:47 AM

thanks, anyone else ???? What about the taxi thing ?

reply Apr 23rd, 2002 04:44 AM

I've walked in your footsteps.<BR><BR>1. You can walk from the train station to the main sights in about 15-20 minutes. A taxi is unnecessary. <BR><BR>2. I've left luggage in the lockers. No problems, It's a bit pricey, however, and you need a lot of change.<BR><BR>3. 7 hours is probably way more time than you'll need. All the main sights are very close together. There is little to see in Cordoba itself.<BR><BR>4. There are snacks on the AVE, but why eat on the train? The ride to Cordoba is under 2 hours.<BR><BR>5. We enjoyed Pepi's in the Barrio for lunch. <BR><BR>6. Hints. Try to schedule your trip when they are playing a movie that you want to see. Might as well optimize.

abe Apr 23rd, 2002 04:48 AM

We got lost on the way to the Mezquita so a taxi might be a good idea.

Marc David Miller Apr 23rd, 2002 04:52 AM

There are some wonderful restaurants in Cordoba--EL CHURRASCO is one of them.

xxx Apr 23rd, 2002 08:20 AM

Marko:<BR><BR>It is possible to walk from the train station to the main sights in Cordoba but it will take more than 15 -20 minutes unless you are power-walking. Taking a taxi to the edge of the historic district would be my suggestion. <BR><BR>Seven hours is not too long to see the sights in Cordoba. Besides the Mezquita, there are the Alcazar gardens, the bridge and tower, the Plaza del Potro, the famous waterwheel whose noise kept Queen Isabella awake, the historic quarter with the ancient synagogue and famous statues of Maimonides, the bullfighting museum, the Callejon de Flores, etc... All of these are within easy walking distance of each other. (The Palacio de Viana is way too far away to walk, and the hours and opening days are odd, and the mandatory tour is in Spanish only, so I wouldn't recommend it for a 7-hour day trip).<BR><BR>Plus, there's shopping. Many of the shops in the historic district around the Mezquita sell only cheap tourist schlock, but there are better galleries which sell fine ceramics and leather goods. <BR><BR>I second the previous poster's vote for El Churrasco for lunch. Just go a bit early before the lunch crowd arrives, as it's popular not just with tourists but local residents.<BR><BR>

marko Apr 24th, 2002 03:48 AM

Great advice people !!!Is 7 hours too long if we have a three hour lunch ??;)